Jamaica holidays proved a big winner during the World Travel Awards
During the World Travel Awards ceremony, held last week at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa in Jamaica, the country was pronounced a winner in several categories including Caribbean Leading Destination & Caribbean Leading Cruise Destination
The Jamaica holidays industry came out as a big winner at the 2010 World Travel Awards, scooping some 18 major awards in the travel and tourism categories.
At the ceremony held last week in the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa, Jamaica took home honours for being Caribbean Leading Destination; Caribbean Leading Cruise Destination Excursion; Caribbean Leading Airport (Sangster International); Caribbean Leading Meeting and Conference Centre (Jamaica Conference Centre); Leading Hotel (Sandals Negril Beach Resort); Leading Resort (Sandals Whitehouse) and Leading Spa Resort (Half Moon, Montego Bay), among others.
Hundreds of representatives of the travel and tourism industry from the Caribbean, North, Central and South America attended the event, which is known as the Oscars of tourism.
Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, who addressed the gathering, said that the country was proud to be hosting the prestigious awards ceremony for the 17th year, which was testimony to the world class destination that the country had become to millions of travellers being lured to enjoy holidays in Jamaica.
Bartlett said that the accolades and recognition from the World Travel Awards, "speak to the excellence and service quality assurance that an international visitor can expect when selecting a destination or travel brand". It is well known that once a traveller sees the World Travel Awards symbol, they can be assured of the quality and they will know that they are getting the absolute best. It is a renowned badge of service excellence," he stated.
The Minister credited the achievement to the various stakeholders in the sector, noting that "it is the service quality and a visitor experience that epitomises excellence, which depicts a world class destination and resort. While Jamaica boasts the most diverse and largest number of attractions in the Caribbean, it is the warmth and tenacity of our people that create the winning experience."
He said that it was this level of service excellence that continues to bring visitors to the island and grow the sector despite the global recession. "We have seen growth last year of some 3.6 per cent and the first half of this year, up to June.we ended with a record one million stopover arrivals, earning US$1 billion for Jamaica,"
The World Tourism Awards acknowledge and celebrate those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the global tourism and travel industry, including those brands that are driving the industry to greater heights and innovation in travel.
The winners will be determined by the online votes of thousands of professionals in the Jamaica holidays industry and consumers worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...