Jamaica holidays proved a big winner during the World Travel Awards
During the World Travel Awards ceremony, held last week at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa in Jamaica, the country was pronounced a winner in several categories including Caribbean Leading Destination & Caribbean Leading Cruise Destination
The Jamaica holidays industry came out as a big winner at the 2010 World Travel Awards, scooping some 18 major awards in the travel and tourism categories.
At the ceremony held last week in the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa, Jamaica took home honours for being Caribbean Leading Destination; Caribbean Leading Cruise Destination Excursion; Caribbean Leading Airport (Sangster International); Caribbean Leading Meeting and Conference Centre (Jamaica Conference Centre); Leading Hotel (Sandals Negril Beach Resort); Leading Resort (Sandals Whitehouse) and Leading Spa Resort (Half Moon, Montego Bay), among others.
Hundreds of representatives of the travel and tourism industry from the Caribbean, North, Central and South America attended the event, which is known as the Oscars of tourism.
Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, who addressed the gathering, said that the country was proud to be hosting the prestigious awards ceremony for the 17th year, which was testimony to the world class destination that the country had become to millions of travellers being lured to enjoy holidays in Jamaica.
Bartlett said that the accolades and recognition from the World Travel Awards, "speak to the excellence and service quality assurance that an international visitor can expect when selecting a destination or travel brand". It is well known that once a traveller sees the World Travel Awards symbol, they can be assured of the quality and they will know that they are getting the absolute best. It is a renowned badge of service excellence," he stated.
The Minister credited the achievement to the various stakeholders in the sector, noting that "it is the service quality and a visitor experience that epitomises excellence, which depicts a world class destination and resort. While Jamaica boasts the most diverse and largest number of attractions in the Caribbean, it is the warmth and tenacity of our people that create the winning experience."
He said that it was this level of service excellence that continues to bring visitors to the island and grow the sector despite the global recession. "We have seen growth last year of some 3.6 per cent and the first half of this year, up to June.we ended with a record one million stopover arrivals, earning US$1 billion for Jamaica,"
The World Tourism Awards acknowledge and celebrate those organisations that have made the greatest contribution to the global tourism and travel industry, including those brands that are driving the industry to greater heights and innovation in travel.
The winners will be determined by the online votes of thousands of professionals in the Jamaica holidays industry and consumers worldwide.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...