Cuba holidays welcome 2 million tourists for the 7th consecutive year
After having reached the 2 million mark of visitors arriving to Cuba holidays 12 days earlier than expected, the Cuban Ministry of Tour is optimistic about the remaining 2010-2011 winter season which will see many other tourists arriving to the island.
This year Cuba holidays have enjoyed enormous popularity amongts worldwide travellers. The Cuban Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) announced that Cuba registered last Monday two million foreign tourist arrivals for the seventh consecutive year in an early date.
The figure was reached 12 days earlier than expected and 12 days earlier than in 2009; showing an upward trend in the Cuba holidays market. The main markets continue to be Canada in the first place, followed by the United Kingdom and with Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Mexico, Argentina and Russia coming behind in that order.
The sector is on its way to a 3 % ncrease over 2009, according to a communiqué from the Tourism Ministry cited Tuesday in the official media.
Cuba as a holiday destination is growing by around 3% compared to last year, when the island received 2.43 million tourists. The ministry mentioned the island’s interest in “promoting tourism of peace, health, safety and trust,” as well as “responsibly exploiting to the maximum” its natural attractions as well as its social and cultural achievements.
The report also said that the country’s development of tourism has been “among the biggest and most dynamic in the Americas and the Caribbean for two decades.”
It adds that development of the sector in the island has been one of the most dynamic and significant in Latin America and the Caribbean in the past two decades, showing a consolidation of the Cuban destination worldwide.
The achievement of reaching this number of visitors before the anticipated time suggests a bright winter 2010-2011 Cuba holidays season, based on the Cuban authorities's philosophy of developing a tourism of peace, health, security and confidence.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...