Jamaica holidays break the 1m visitor mark
Jamaica is now celebrating this year's success in the tourism and travel industry after hitting the 1 million mark of arrivals by tourists, proving that the island has managed to pull through the many challenges the Caribbean holidays industry is facing.
This year Jamaica holidays have been faring well despite the many national and international challenges the country has had to face. Jamaican Tourism is celebrating the latest in a series of exciting milestones, with more than one million visitors reaching the Caribbean island during the first six months of this year.
This is the first time the island has welcomed so many visitors during such a short period, illustrating the robust strength of the recovery in the Caribbean holidays market, following the global recession.
Figures released from the Jamaica Tourism Organisation (JTO) revealed a total of 1,010,896 foreigner visitors passed through the island between January 1st and June 30th this year.
This represents a 4.1 % increase on the figures held for the same period of 2009, with earnings from visitor arrivals also up by 2.4%to US$1.9 billion.
However, the Ministry of Tourism also said that during the period both cruise passenger arrivals as well as earnings from the sub-sector declined. Delays with the new Falmouth cruise terminal may further hinder the future development of this sector insiders have warned.
Nevertheless, Jamaican tourism minister Ed Bartlett expressed his optimism on the hospitality industry and the performance of Jamaica holidays, which he expects to continue to improve. According to Bartlett, there were positive signs in the months of July, August and September.
He further added that the increased arrivals and earnings come at a time when the worldwide recession is taking a toll on economies of the world and during a period when holidays in Jamaica were affected by the island's own civil challenges.
The Caribbean island will also be celebrating later today when the World Travel Awards celebrates its Americas Gala Ceremony at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...