Jamaica holidays break the 1m visitor mark
Jamaica is now celebrating this year's success in the tourism and travel industry after hitting the 1 million mark of arrivals by tourists, proving that the island has managed to pull through the many challenges the Caribbean holidays industry is facing.
This year Jamaica holidays have been faring well despite the many national and international challenges the country has had to face. Jamaican Tourism is celebrating the latest in a series of exciting milestones, with more than one million visitors reaching the Caribbean island during the first six months of this year.
This is the first time the island has welcomed so many visitors during such a short period, illustrating the robust strength of the recovery in the Caribbean holidays market, following the global recession.
Figures released from the Jamaica Tourism Organisation (JTO) revealed a total of 1,010,896 foreigner visitors passed through the island between January 1st and June 30th this year.
This represents a 4.1 % increase on the figures held for the same period of 2009, with earnings from visitor arrivals also up by 2.4%to US$1.9 billion.
However, the Ministry of Tourism also said that during the period both cruise passenger arrivals as well as earnings from the sub-sector declined. Delays with the new Falmouth cruise terminal may further hinder the future development of this sector insiders have warned.
Nevertheless, Jamaican tourism minister Ed Bartlett expressed his optimism on the hospitality industry and the performance of Jamaica holidays, which he expects to continue to improve. According to Bartlett, there were positive signs in the months of July, August and September.
He further added that the increased arrivals and earnings come at a time when the worldwide recession is taking a toll on economies of the world and during a period when holidays in Jamaica were affected by the island's own civil challenges.
The Caribbean island will also be celebrating later today when the World Travel Awards celebrates its Americas Gala Ceremony at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...