Jamaica holidays break the 1m visitor mark
Jamaica is now celebrating this year's success in the tourism and travel industry after hitting the 1 million mark of arrivals by tourists, proving that the island has managed to pull through the many challenges the Caribbean holidays industry is facing.
This year Jamaica holidays have been faring well despite the many national and international challenges the country has had to face. Jamaican Tourism is celebrating the latest in a series of exciting milestones, with more than one million visitors reaching the Caribbean island during the first six months of this year.
This is the first time the island has welcomed so many visitors during such a short period, illustrating the robust strength of the recovery in the Caribbean holidays market, following the global recession.
Figures released from the Jamaica Tourism Organisation (JTO) revealed a total of 1,010,896 foreigner visitors passed through the island between January 1st and June 30th this year.
This represents a 4.1 % increase on the figures held for the same period of 2009, with earnings from visitor arrivals also up by 2.4%to US$1.9 billion.
However, the Ministry of Tourism also said that during the period both cruise passenger arrivals as well as earnings from the sub-sector declined. Delays with the new Falmouth cruise terminal may further hinder the future development of this sector insiders have warned.
Nevertheless, Jamaican tourism minister Ed Bartlett expressed his optimism on the hospitality industry and the performance of Jamaica holidays, which he expects to continue to improve. According to Bartlett, there were positive signs in the months of July, August and September.
He further added that the increased arrivals and earnings come at a time when the worldwide recession is taking a toll on economies of the world and during a period when holidays in Jamaica were affected by the island's own civil challenges.
The Caribbean island will also be celebrating later today when the World Travel Awards celebrates its Americas Gala Ceremony at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...