Jamaica holidays break the 1m visitor mark
Jamaica is now celebrating this year's success in the tourism and travel industry after hitting the 1 million mark of arrivals by tourists, proving that the island has managed to pull through the many challenges the Caribbean holidays industry is facing.
This year Jamaica holidays have been faring well despite the many national and international challenges the country has had to face. Jamaican Tourism is celebrating the latest in a series of exciting milestones, with more than one million visitors reaching the Caribbean island during the first six months of this year.
This is the first time the island has welcomed so many visitors during such a short period, illustrating the robust strength of the recovery in the Caribbean holidays market, following the global recession.
Figures released from the Jamaica Tourism Organisation (JTO) revealed a total of 1,010,896 foreigner visitors passed through the island between January 1st and June 30th this year.
This represents a 4.1 % increase on the figures held for the same period of 2009, with earnings from visitor arrivals also up by 2.4%to US$1.9 billion.
However, the Ministry of Tourism also said that during the period both cruise passenger arrivals as well as earnings from the sub-sector declined. Delays with the new Falmouth cruise terminal may further hinder the future development of this sector insiders have warned.
Nevertheless, Jamaican tourism minister Ed Bartlett expressed his optimism on the hospitality industry and the performance of Jamaica holidays, which he expects to continue to improve. According to Bartlett, there were positive signs in the months of July, August and September.
He further added that the increased arrivals and earnings come at a time when the worldwide recession is taking a toll on economies of the world and during a period when holidays in Jamaica were affected by the island's own civil challenges.
The Caribbean island will also be celebrating later today when the World Travel Awards celebrates its Americas Gala Ceremony at the Sandals Whitehouse European Village and Spa.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...