Wynton Marsalis wowed Cuban Jazz lovers and tourists on Cuba holidays
Cubans and tourists alike enjoyed a week-long of an amazing jazz fest at the hands of US trumpeteer Wynton Marsalis who was joined in a series of concerts by Cuban Jazz legends like Grammy-award winning Chucho Valdes and Omara Portuondo.
An island known for groundbreaking jazz got an amazing, culturally enriching week-long visit from one of America’s leading trumpeters, who spent his time in the island jamming with Cuban legends in a series of concerts that put musicians from the two Cold War enemies on stage together.
The visit by Wynton Marsalis and his Jazz at Lincoln Centre Orchestra kicked off a season of unprecedented cultural exchanges – with the American Ballet Theater scheduled to perform in Havana next month in honour of Cuban ballet legend Alicia Alonso.
Marsalis, seated next to Cuban jazz great Chucho Valdes and Buena Vista Social Club diva Omara Portuondo at a news conference on Monday, said it was a thrill to be in Havana for the concerts. While Marsalis has been in Cuba before, it was the first trip by New York’s Lincoln Centre jazz group. “It’s a great honour for us as musicians to come here to Havana because of the long tradition and the great musicians who have come from here,” Marsalis said.
Marsalis, 48, spent 8 days playing with Cuban musicians at concerts and impromptu jam sessions, and also recording music with Cuban Grammy-winners Chucho Valdes and Omara Portuondo. The concerts ran from Tuesday through Saturday, and there were also master classes for promising young Cuban musicians.
U.S. trumpeter Wynton Marsalis wowed Cuban musicians, students and tourists enjoying Cuba holidays last week in Havana with four performances in theatres, and a master class, giving an in-depth explanation of the essential elements of jazz: swing, blues, and improvisation.
"Marsalis is absolute wonderful", said David, a Canadian who was enjoying Cuba holidays in Havana during that time and saw one of the Wynton shows.
Between the dates October 2nd and October 10th Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Centre passionately shared their music with children, musicians, and the people of Cuba. The Cuban music community welcomed the JLCO with open arms and the residency resulted in an all-encompassing exchange of music and culture.
C Jam Blues, by Duke Ellington, was the first piece that Marsalis and his band, the Jazz at Lincoln Centre Orchestra, chose to break down the basic components that define the genre of jazz, which emerged in the 19th century in New Orleans, Louisiana.
When it comes to jazz, you have to give it more sentiment, a lot of feeling, a lot of soul, he said.
One of the high points of the class was the performance of Every Day I Have the Blues, a New Orleans blues standard that brings to mind the soundtracks of U.S. films from the 1950s.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...