Festive St Lucia holidays as Windjammer Landing celebrates Creole Day
October is the month to embark St Lucia holidays if you want to celebrate the island's culture and be enriched by the many traditions of Creole Day, celebtrated island-wide with specially themed activities in the award-winning Windjammer Landing Resort.
A host of activities and fun events will delight those enjoying St Lucia holidays during the month of October, especially if they happen to be staying at the Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, which is celebrating the rich heritage of its native island in one of the Caribbean’s most anticipated annual events. Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort and Spa will be joining in the festivities this October in celebration of ‘Jounen Kweyol’ or ‘Creole Day’, which honours the Caribbean’s rich Creole heritage.
This annual festivity takes place each year at the end of October and is celebrated all throughout St Lucia and other Creole speaking Caribbean islands such as Dominica, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Haiti, and Indian Ocean islands such as Mauritius and the Seychelles.
If you are lucky enough to be spending your holidays in St Lucia during October, you will find that some of the more rural parts of the island celebrate their Creole heritage throughout the month of October, but the real party happens on Creole Day Sunday, when locals celebrate with Creole church services, fashion shows, exhibitions of traditional goods, music, food and dance.
To celebrate Creole Day on 31st October, the resort will be serving a buffet of traditional Creole foods such as farine balls with avocado and salt fish, breadfruit and smoked herring, souse and cucumbers, pig tail bouillon and ‘paimie’ – a cornmeal cake flavoured with coconut and spices and cooked in banana leaves.
The resort will also play host to a number of stalls showcasing local wares such as clay pots, spice baskets, coal pots, local seasoning and rums, soursop, sugar cane and traditional children’s outfits. Families will be able enjoy a whole host of entertainment at the resort, as staff dress up in traditional wear. Activities planned for the day include masquerade dancing, traditional folk dancing with traditional folk band and cultural games.
Anthony Bowen, vice president of Windjammer Landing said: “Creole day is always great fun here on the island, and we are delighted to be able to show our guests a piece of our rich island heritage at Windjammer.”
Island-wide on Creole Day, people eat traditional foods such as green fig and salt fish, as well as bouillon, which is a celebratory dish in Saint Lucia as it takes such lengthy preparation so is only prepared on special occasions such as Creole Day and is traditionally served in calabash bowls fashioned from the fruit of the calabash tree. This could be something typical and unique to be enjoyed during your St Lucia holidays here during this festive time
Creole Day is also a time to dress up. Many island women wear the traditional ‘jupe’ – a colourful madras skirt worn with a broderie anglaise blouse, made from white cotton or poplin embroidered with white flowers and decorated with red satin ribbons. The headpiece (or ‘tete-en-l’air’) is made of madras – a lightweight cotton fabric with typically patterned texture and plaid design. The ‘foulard’, a triangular piece of satin worn on the shoulder, completes the outfit.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation plus an extra £55 off booking bonus with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...