Hurricane Paula threatens Cancun holidays and holidays in western Cuba
The increasingly dangerous Paula hurricane is moving closer to the Yucatan area, and with its passing it could also affect Cuba's western area with strong winds, heavy rains and flood. For now it is expected to pass through Cancun and the city.
It looks like not only heading to holidays in Cancun have to closely follow the hurricane trail, as Cuba holidays could also be affected. Hurricane Paula headed for a near pass along the southern coast of Mexico's resort-dotted Yucatan Peninsula today, on Wednesday morning, and then is expected to move toward the western end of Cuba.
The Category 2 storm, with maximum sustained winds of 100 mph, was expected to swipe at the islands of Cozumel, Isla Mujeres and Holbox, authorities said.
Moving north at near 9 mph, Paula's centre was expected to pass just to the east of Cancun on Wednesday morning, and decrease in forward speed after as it turns to the northeast in the afternoon, the U.S. National Hurricane Centre in Miami said.
It said the hurricane could get close to western Cuba by Wednesday night or early Thursday.
Around 2,500 people were evacuated from the tiny island of Holbox, where tourists flock to catch sight of flamingos, wild birds and rare whale sharks. Authorities also ordered the evacuation 60 fishermen from Isla Contoy. The evacuees were taken to the town of Kantunilkin on the mainland.
There are currently around 30,000 tourists enjoying Cancun holidays in Quintana Roo, the state where Cancun is located, and over a dozen shelters have been set up to receive people fleeing the storm from around Cancun and Cozumel.
"Although it is forecast that Hurricane Paula ... will not directly impact anywhere on the Yucatan Peninsula, residents should exercise extreme caution," said Felipe Adrian Vazquez, general coordinator of Mexico's Weather Service.
More than 1,800 tourists remained on Cozumel after authorities suspended all sea transportation. City officials said three shelters were available on the island but that only a family of six had arrived at one of them late Tuesday.
Fifteen flights with passengers flying to Cancun holidays were canceled Tuesday and seven international flights for Wednesday will be cancelled, Cancun airport commander Jose Chavez said.
Dozens of boat owners in Cancun hauled yachts and other vessels to shore, while sea tour operators canceled reservations. At least one company, Transbordadores del Caribe, canceled ferry trips from Playa del Carmen to the resort island of Cozumel south of Cancun, though others were still operating while the weather remained mild.
Armando Galmiche closed down his water-skiing tour business in Cancun and canceled 15 reservations he had for Tuesday afternoon. "It's already low season for tourism and, with this hurricane, things are going to get worse," he said, lamenting the loss of revenue.
Along Cancun's popular strip of night clubs and discotheques, workers took down billboards and other large objects ahead of heavy winds.
'I'm not afraid' - Peter Bruin, a 25-year-old tourist from Rotterdam, the Netherlands, was taking a stroll along the city's hotel zone, unaware that a hurricane was heading to Cancun. "I hadn't heard anything but I'm not afraid," Bruin said. "It will be my first hurricane experience."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...