Using social media to promote Jamaica holidays
Social media marketing tools such as YouTube are proving very effective for the Jamaica Tourist Board, as they have used the popular website platform to launch a series of promotional videos on which two locals discover the island's many attractions.
Emerging marketing tools such as social networking has been proving very effective for the The Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) who has been effectively utilising social media and technology to promote Jamaica holidays. Their social media tactics are part of their continued marketing efforts to promote and showcase the fascinating Caribbean holiday destination that Jamaica is.
Its latest social marketing venture is the 'Pon Di Road Jamaica' webseries, which are now being aired on the popular video sharing website, You Tube.com and captures the adventures of a local, newly-wed couple, Stephen and Calee, as they visit Jamaica's ritzy to roadside local attractions, restaurants, shops, hotels and other places of interest.
Highlighting the exciting initiative, Deputy Director of Tourism, David Shields told JIS News that this locally-filmed travel reality show is the first of its kind filmed in Jamaica and is intended "to promote the variety of offerings in the tourism sector - the attractions, accommodations, restaurants - all that the destination has to offer."
"It is done in a friendly way, where we showcase these attributes of the destination without the hard sell of advertising, focusing on the use of our fruits, the use of our Jamaican food and show how persons can be engaged with our attractions as well as the luxury and comfort of our tourism accommodations," he added.
The actors who appear on the video, he further explained, are two young Jamaicans who present Jamaica holidays from their friendly, romantic perspective, while visiting popular holiday destinations and local attractions while also discovering local landmarks such as Flat Bridge, Faith's Pen, Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove and other 'hot spots' around the island.
Their experience, he said, will encourage locals and international viewers to visit the locations featured and enjoy the island's varied tourism offerings during holidays in Jamaica.
In terms of the feedback from viewers, the Deputy Director said that the response has been great so far. "We have, in some instances, in excess of 3,000 views over a fairly short period. Persons have found some of the themes more interesting and that is guiding us as we look at the development of the webisode series as a part of the communication tool," Mr. Shields told JIS News.
"Reactions from participating attractions, hotels and restaurants have been very good, because at the end, they also have a piece of collateral that they can post on their social media environment.so they will be able to utilise this to continue the promotion of their specific entity," he pointed out, adding that the overall aim is to use this medium and marketing strategy to heighten awareness and drive business to Jamaica.
Eleven episodes have already been posted and a new one is added each Thursday and will continue until November.
"The series is one that anyone can find interesting. Viewers will find humour, some level of fun and information that is new. It is entertaining and a means of showcasing Jamaica to the world in a way that has never been utilised before," the Deputy Director said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- After booking a minimum of a 3 night stay, guests will receive a welcome bottle of sparkling wine & fresh fruit, one mimosa breakfast in bed to be booked upon arrival and romantic turndown service one night during stay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...