Post office travel money lists Sri Lanka holidays as best value in 2010
According to the Post Office Travel Money's new Long Haul Holiday Report 2010, Sri Lanka holidays offer travellers the best value for money with "tourist item" prices nine percent lower than last year's winners, Thailand.
Sri Lanka, a holiday destination in the Indian Ocean have been announced as the winners in the best value for money category in this year's Post Office Travel Money's Long Haul Holiday Report.
Sri Lanka knocked the longstanding winner, Thailand, off the top spot as the report found that many UK travellers were heading to the idyllic Asian island for bargain holidays.
Comparisons were made using a "basket" of 10 tourist items which included meals and drinks, and Sri Lanka emerged as the winner with prices nine percent lower than in Thailand and over two-thirds less than Australia which was reported as the most expensive of the 22 destination surveyed.
The number of UK travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays has already increased with a rise of 51 percent in July compared to the same period last year and the tourism boost looks set to continue in forthcoming months as resort prices and packages offer great value.
Mexico and Kenya Holidays were the runners up in the annual report, knocking last year's runners-up, Malaysia and Bali, off the spot and Cancun holidays looking set to increase over the winter months as British Airways launches a direct service to the coastal destination this autumn.
Post Office Head of Travel Money, Sarah Munro, explained: "Price as always remains the big issue and it is good news to see so many long haul destinations with low resort costs. It means that UK tourists planning winter sun trips will be spoilt for choice.
"The information we have collected shows that Sri Lanka and Mexico offer excellent value for money and, despite having a troubled year, tourists should not write Thailand off. The Thai baht may have strengthened against sterling but tourist prices remain low and there are likely to be great deals to the country as hoteliers and airlines look to continue to attract international visitors.
"However, in these uncertain times UK holidaymakers should plan trips carefully and ensure they are fully protected. A package taken with a well-established and ATOL protected tour operator, together with comprehensive travel insurance is probably the safest bet. People should also avoid wasting cash through last minute airport currency purchases and can cut costs abroad by using a credit card like the Post Office card that offers 0 per cent commission on purchases overseas."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Enjoy an amazing twin-centre holiday combining the golden sands of Sri Lanka with the modern opulence of Arabic luxury in Dubai.
- Both hotels offer the finest quality facilities and amenities to suit guests of all ages
- While in Dubai escape to the tranquillity of SPA Asiana, the perfect place to unwind and rejuvenate
- Sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine at the Avani Kalutara Resort with Half-Board dining
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....