Post office travel money lists Sri Lanka holidays as best value in 2010
According to the Post Office Travel Money's new Long Haul Holiday Report 2010, Sri Lanka holidays offer travellers the best value for money with "tourist item" prices nine percent lower than last year's winners, Thailand.
Sri Lanka, a holiday destination in the Indian Ocean have been announced as the winners in the best value for money category in this year's Post Office Travel Money's Long Haul Holiday Report.
Sri Lanka knocked the longstanding winner, Thailand, off the top spot as the report found that many UK travellers were heading to the idyllic Asian island for bargain holidays.
Comparisons were made using a "basket" of 10 tourist items which included meals and drinks, and Sri Lanka emerged as the winner with prices nine percent lower than in Thailand and over two-thirds less than Australia which was reported as the most expensive of the 22 destination surveyed.
The number of UK travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays has already increased with a rise of 51 percent in July compared to the same period last year and the tourism boost looks set to continue in forthcoming months as resort prices and packages offer great value.
Mexico and Kenya Holidays were the runners up in the annual report, knocking last year's runners-up, Malaysia and Bali, off the spot and Cancun holidays looking set to increase over the winter months as British Airways launches a direct service to the coastal destination this autumn.
Post Office Head of Travel Money, Sarah Munro, explained: "Price as always remains the big issue and it is good news to see so many long haul destinations with low resort costs. It means that UK tourists planning winter sun trips will be spoilt for choice.
"The information we have collected shows that Sri Lanka and Mexico offer excellent value for money and, despite having a troubled year, tourists should not write Thailand off. The Thai baht may have strengthened against sterling but tourist prices remain low and there are likely to be great deals to the country as hoteliers and airlines look to continue to attract international visitors.
"However, in these uncertain times UK holidaymakers should plan trips carefully and ensure they are fully protected. A package taken with a well-established and ATOL protected tour operator, together with comprehensive travel insurance is probably the safest bet. People should also avoid wasting cash through last minute airport currency purchases and can cut costs abroad by using a credit card like the Post Office card that offers 0 per cent commission on purchases overseas."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...