Post office travel money lists Sri Lanka holidays as best value in 2010
According to the Post Office Travel Money's new Long Haul Holiday Report 2010, Sri Lanka holidays offer travellers the best value for money with "tourist item" prices nine percent lower than last year's winners, Thailand.
Sri Lanka, a holiday destination in the Indian Ocean have been announced as the winners in the best value for money category in this year's Post Office Travel Money's Long Haul Holiday Report.
Sri Lanka knocked the longstanding winner, Thailand, off the top spot as the report found that many UK travellers were heading to the idyllic Asian island for bargain holidays.
Comparisons were made using a "basket" of 10 tourist items which included meals and drinks, and Sri Lanka emerged as the winner with prices nine percent lower than in Thailand and over two-thirds less than Australia which was reported as the most expensive of the 22 destination surveyed.
The number of UK travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays has already increased with a rise of 51 percent in July compared to the same period last year and the tourism boost looks set to continue in forthcoming months as resort prices and packages offer great value.
Mexico and Kenya Holidays were the runners up in the annual report, knocking last year's runners-up, Malaysia and Bali, off the spot and Cancun holidays looking set to increase over the winter months as British Airways launches a direct service to the coastal destination this autumn.
Post Office Head of Travel Money, Sarah Munro, explained: "Price as always remains the big issue and it is good news to see so many long haul destinations with low resort costs. It means that UK tourists planning winter sun trips will be spoilt for choice.
"The information we have collected shows that Sri Lanka and Mexico offer excellent value for money and, despite having a troubled year, tourists should not write Thailand off. The Thai baht may have strengthened against sterling but tourist prices remain low and there are likely to be great deals to the country as hoteliers and airlines look to continue to attract international visitors.
"However, in these uncertain times UK holidaymakers should plan trips carefully and ensure they are fully protected. A package taken with a well-established and ATOL protected tour operator, together with comprehensive travel insurance is probably the safest bet. People should also avoid wasting cash through last minute airport currency purchases and can cut costs abroad by using a credit card like the Post Office card that offers 0 per cent commission on purchases overseas."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- Transport in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...