Number of tourists enjoying Sri Lanka tours to wildlife parks doubles
The number of tourist enjoying Sri Lanka tours to the country's beautiful national parks has doubled this year, according to Chandrawansa Pathiraja, the Director General of Botanical Gardens and Wildlife Conservation Department.
The number of Sri Lanka tours being enjoyed by foreign travellers to the island's national parks has doubled this year.
According to Chandrawansa Pathiraja, the Director General of Botanical Gardens and Wildlife Conservation Department, just nine percent of tourists usually take Sri Lanka tours of the national parks, but this January saw an increase with 20 percent of travellers visiting the wildlife parks.
Pathiraja said that the increase in Sri Lanka tours has been helped by the end of the island's civil war last year which has allowed many travellers feel safer travelling to the region.
All national parks on the island are currently open to visitors without any restrictions and the government has started a programme to upgrade the facilities in the Sri Lanka's wildlife parks to help attract more visitors and nature enthusiasts.
Pathiraja added that some areas in the north of the island nation would be developed into wildlife parks including Chundikulam, Nayaru, and Kokilai and the only wildlife park set upon a separate island, Pigeon Island in Trincomallee, would be open to tourists enjoying Sri Lanka tours soon.
According to tourist board sources, during the last three decades and conflict period, Sri Lanka has maintained 500,000 tourists enjoying Sri Lanka holidays on average annually and the government is expecting 765,000 tourists by 2011 and 2.5 million by 2016, now that the civil war has reached an end.
Pathiraja said that the island is expecting 600,000 travellers to visit Sri Lanka by the end of December this year with 120,000 of them enjoying Sri Lanka tours at the numerous wildlife parks.
Sri Lanka is an island nation situated in the India Ocean, South Asia, 31 kilometres off the south coast of India. The country is home to beautiful beaches, mountainous terrain, tropical forests and a tropical climate. Travellers visiting nature and wildlife parks on the island can catch sightings of deer, elephants, peacocks, pelicans, storks and the national Sri Lanka Junglefowl bird which is native to the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime, with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...