Number of tourists enjoying Sri Lanka tours to wildlife parks doubles
The number of tourist enjoying Sri Lanka tours to the country's beautiful national parks has doubled this year, according to Chandrawansa Pathiraja, the Director General of Botanical Gardens and Wildlife Conservation Department.
The number of Sri Lanka tours being enjoyed by foreign travellers to the island's national parks has doubled this year.
According to Chandrawansa Pathiraja, the Director General of Botanical Gardens and Wildlife Conservation Department, just nine percent of tourists usually take Sri Lanka tours of the national parks, but this January saw an increase with 20 percent of travellers visiting the wildlife parks.
Pathiraja said that the increase in Sri Lanka tours has been helped by the end of the island's civil war last year which has allowed many travellers feel safer travelling to the region.
All national parks on the island are currently open to visitors without any restrictions and the government has started a programme to upgrade the facilities in the Sri Lanka's wildlife parks to help attract more visitors and nature enthusiasts.
Pathiraja added that some areas in the north of the island nation would be developed into wildlife parks including Chundikulam, Nayaru, and Kokilai and the only wildlife park set upon a separate island, Pigeon Island in Trincomallee, would be open to tourists enjoying Sri Lanka tours soon.
According to tourist board sources, during the last three decades and conflict period, Sri Lanka has maintained 500,000 tourists enjoying Sri Lanka holidays on average annually and the government is expecting 765,000 tourists by 2011 and 2.5 million by 2016, now that the civil war has reached an end.
Pathiraja said that the island is expecting 600,000 travellers to visit Sri Lanka by the end of December this year with 120,000 of them enjoying Sri Lanka tours at the numerous wildlife parks.
Sri Lanka is an island nation situated in the India Ocean, South Asia, 31 kilometres off the south coast of India. The country is home to beautiful beaches, mountainous terrain, tropical forests and a tropical climate. Travellers visiting nature and wildlife parks on the island can catch sightings of deer, elephants, peacocks, pelicans, storks and the national Sri Lanka Junglefowl bird which is native to the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sink into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean before a luxury getaway break to Sri Lanka
- Treat yourself to a revitalizing message at the spa or plunge into the island’s longest swimming pool in Sri Lanka
- Fabulous dining and nightlife and a wide range of watersports and recreation
- Complimentary WiFi in all rooms and selected public areas in the Paradise Island
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....