Number of tourists enjoying Sri Lanka tours to wildlife parks doubles
The number of tourist enjoying Sri Lanka tours to the country's beautiful national parks has doubled this year, according to Chandrawansa Pathiraja, the Director General of Botanical Gardens and Wildlife Conservation Department.
The number of Sri Lanka tours being enjoyed by foreign travellers to the island's national parks has doubled this year.
According to Chandrawansa Pathiraja, the Director General of Botanical Gardens and Wildlife Conservation Department, just nine percent of tourists usually take Sri Lanka tours of the national parks, but this January saw an increase with 20 percent of travellers visiting the wildlife parks.
Pathiraja said that the increase in Sri Lanka tours has been helped by the end of the island's civil war last year which has allowed many travellers feel safer travelling to the region.
All national parks on the island are currently open to visitors without any restrictions and the government has started a programme to upgrade the facilities in the Sri Lanka's wildlife parks to help attract more visitors and nature enthusiasts.
Pathiraja added that some areas in the north of the island nation would be developed into wildlife parks including Chundikulam, Nayaru, and Kokilai and the only wildlife park set upon a separate island, Pigeon Island in Trincomallee, would be open to tourists enjoying Sri Lanka tours soon.
According to tourist board sources, during the last three decades and conflict period, Sri Lanka has maintained 500,000 tourists enjoying Sri Lanka holidays on average annually and the government is expecting 765,000 tourists by 2011 and 2.5 million by 2016, now that the civil war has reached an end.
Pathiraja said that the island is expecting 600,000 travellers to visit Sri Lanka by the end of December this year with 120,000 of them enjoying Sri Lanka tours at the numerous wildlife parks.
Sri Lanka is an island nation situated in the India Ocean, South Asia, 31 kilometres off the south coast of India. The country is home to beautiful beaches, mountainous terrain, tropical forests and a tropical climate. Travellers visiting nature and wildlife parks on the island can catch sightings of deer, elephants, peacocks, pelicans, storks and the national Sri Lanka Junglefowl bird which is native to the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Mount Lavinia is one of Sri Lanka's oldest hotel and with its impressive 200 plus years of heritage it has...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...