Caribbean tourism grows as region sees increase in visitor arrivals
The aftermath of the recent global recession seems to be heading in the right direction for many Caribbean islands as consumers from the United States are once again booking their Caribbean holidays giving the tourist destinations a welcome tourism boost.
As travellers once again book their Caribbean holidays, the recovery from the global economic recession seems to be underway as many destinations are now on a growth track.
According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, the number of US and European travellers taking Caribbean holidays was up by 6.5 percent during the first four months of this year.
Many travellers booking Caribbean holidays chose Jamaica as their tropical destination with visitor arrivals up by 7.3 percent from January to April 2010; the Dominican Republic saw a 2.5 percent increase and 2.2 million tourists arrive between January and June; and the Bahamas with a 1.6 percent rise in visitors.
The second most popular destination for Caribbean holidays, Cuba, saw 1.22 million tourists arrive on the island between January and May this year, which was a 1.2 percent increase on last year.
Despite the welcomed boost in tourism numbers to some islands, many others saw a decline in visitor arrivals. These include Bermuda which saw a 10.5 percent dip between January and March 2010, Curacao with a 9.4 percent fall from January to May, and the Mexican region of Cancun which saw a decline of 2.3 percent between January and April.
The origin of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has had a significant affect on visitor numbers with a decline in arrivals from European tourists. This had a ripple affect on the Eastern Caribbean as the area depends heavily on visitors from Europe, compared to northern Caribbean islands which are closely situated to the USA.
Director of Research at the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Winfield Griffith, said: "Travellers are proceeding with a great deal of caution when it comes to spending because of the global economic crisis. From what I can glean, I would say spending is down about 5 percent.''
During the economic downturn last year, many Caribbean hotels, airlines, and travel companies cut their prices and offered numerous promotions and discounts to entice travellers to book Caribbean holidays, which meant that profits were low. But as the economy shows signs of recovery, so do the islands of the Caribbean as consumers once again start slowly spending.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...