Caribbean tourism grows as region sees increase in visitor arrivals
The aftermath of the recent global recession seems to be heading in the right direction for many Caribbean islands as consumers from the United States are once again booking their Caribbean holidays giving the tourist destinations a welcome tourism boost.
As travellers once again book their Caribbean holidays, the recovery from the global economic recession seems to be underway as many destinations are now on a growth track.
According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, the number of US and European travellers taking Caribbean holidays was up by 6.5 percent during the first four months of this year.
Many travellers booking Caribbean holidays chose Jamaica as their tropical destination with visitor arrivals up by 7.3 percent from January to April 2010; the Dominican Republic saw a 2.5 percent increase and 2.2 million tourists arrive between January and June; and the Bahamas with a 1.6 percent rise in visitors.
The second most popular destination for Caribbean holidays, Cuba, saw 1.22 million tourists arrive on the island between January and May this year, which was a 1.2 percent increase on last year.
Despite the welcomed boost in tourism numbers to some islands, many others saw a decline in visitor arrivals. These include Bermuda which saw a 10.5 percent dip between January and March 2010, Curacao with a 9.4 percent fall from January to May, and the Mexican region of Cancun which saw a decline of 2.3 percent between January and April.
The origin of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has had a significant affect on visitor numbers with a decline in arrivals from European tourists. This had a ripple affect on the Eastern Caribbean as the area depends heavily on visitors from Europe, compared to northern Caribbean islands which are closely situated to the USA.
Director of Research at the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Winfield Griffith, said: "Travellers are proceeding with a great deal of caution when it comes to spending because of the global economic crisis. From what I can glean, I would say spending is down about 5 percent.''
During the economic downturn last year, many Caribbean hotels, airlines, and travel companies cut their prices and offered numerous promotions and discounts to entice travellers to book Caribbean holidays, which meant that profits were low. But as the economy shows signs of recovery, so do the islands of the Caribbean as consumers once again start slowly spending.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...