Caribbean tourism grows as region sees increase in visitor arrivals
The aftermath of the recent global recession seems to be heading in the right direction for many Caribbean islands as consumers from the United States are once again booking their Caribbean holidays giving the tourist destinations a welcome tourism boost.
As travellers once again book their Caribbean holidays, the recovery from the global economic recession seems to be underway as many destinations are now on a growth track.
According to the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, the number of US and European travellers taking Caribbean holidays was up by 6.5 percent during the first four months of this year.
Many travellers booking Caribbean holidays chose Jamaica as their tropical destination with visitor arrivals up by 7.3 percent from January to April 2010; the Dominican Republic saw a 2.5 percent increase and 2.2 million tourists arrive between January and June; and the Bahamas with a 1.6 percent rise in visitors.
The second most popular destination for Caribbean holidays, Cuba, saw 1.22 million tourists arrive on the island between January and May this year, which was a 1.2 percent increase on last year.
Despite the welcomed boost in tourism numbers to some islands, many others saw a decline in visitor arrivals. These include Bermuda which saw a 10.5 percent dip between January and March 2010, Curacao with a 9.4 percent fall from January to May, and the Mexican region of Cancun which saw a decline of 2.3 percent between January and April.
The origin of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has had a significant affect on visitor numbers with a decline in arrivals from European tourists. This had a ripple affect on the Eastern Caribbean as the area depends heavily on visitors from Europe, compared to northern Caribbean islands which are closely situated to the USA.
Director of Research at the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Winfield Griffith, said: "Travellers are proceeding with a great deal of caution when it comes to spending because of the global economic crisis. From what I can glean, I would say spending is down about 5 percent.''
During the economic downturn last year, many Caribbean hotels, airlines, and travel companies cut their prices and offered numerous promotions and discounts to entice travellers to book Caribbean holidays, which meant that profits were low. But as the economy shows signs of recovery, so do the islands of the Caribbean as consumers once again start slowly spending.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Adults Only All Inclusive
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...