New regional ferry to offer free Caribbean travel to sick and disabled passengers
A newly launched serviced created by BEDY's Travel of Grenada will allow disabled travellers or critically ill passengers to enjoy special treatment with free inter-island service connecting them between different Caribbean countries.
An innovative new service will allow travellers with special needs to move freely between islands during Caribbean holidays for medical treatments or leisure purposes when the Caribbean’s new ferry service is launched by BEDY’s Travel of Grenada towards the end of October. From then on free inter-island travel will be offered to the differently able (physically challenged), as well as passengers requiring urgent medical attention, as Benjamin Ross, BEDY’s chief executive officer revealed in Miami last Tuesday.
Explaining that most of the pre-launch plans had now been fine-tuned, Ross said that on each trip made by the service, some 12 free seats will be allocated to the handicapped, passengers requiring urgent medical attention, representatives of government, travelling on government business, members of the clergy, persons travelling on special education assignments as well as police officers and those enjoying Caribbean holidays. This, he explained, will be in keeping with the agency’s special situation seat assignment programme.
Ross also added that, by the end of September, a comprehensive booking system will be in place at locations across the region and people resident in the United States will be able to make their inter-island travel reservations and cargo bookings through the company’s Miami office.
The service, when operational, will connect the countries of Barbados, St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada and St Vincent, providing daily services to all these islands, and will involve three vessels, one with a capacity for some 900 passengers, 180 motor vehicles and cargo, and two others, La Palma Express and Nutmeg Express, with a capacity of 260 and 300 respectively. These smaller vessels will provide inter-island tour and charter services.
Ross said the schedule for the larger vessel was currently being revised. He again thanked the governments and people of the region for their patience ands gave the assurance that their wait will not be long for an inter-island travel service that will be affordable, reliable and dependable.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...