New regional ferry to offer free Caribbean travel to sick and disabled passengers
A newly launched serviced created by BEDY's Travel of Grenada will allow disabled travellers or critically ill passengers to enjoy special treatment with free inter-island service connecting them between different Caribbean countries.
An innovative new service will allow travellers with special needs to move freely between islands during Caribbean holidays for medical treatments or leisure purposes when the Caribbean’s new ferry service is launched by BEDY’s Travel of Grenada towards the end of October. From then on free inter-island travel will be offered to the differently able (physically challenged), as well as passengers requiring urgent medical attention, as Benjamin Ross, BEDY’s chief executive officer revealed in Miami last Tuesday.
Explaining that most of the pre-launch plans had now been fine-tuned, Ross said that on each trip made by the service, some 12 free seats will be allocated to the handicapped, passengers requiring urgent medical attention, representatives of government, travelling on government business, members of the clergy, persons travelling on special education assignments as well as police officers and those enjoying Caribbean holidays. This, he explained, will be in keeping with the agency’s special situation seat assignment programme.
Ross also added that, by the end of September, a comprehensive booking system will be in place at locations across the region and people resident in the United States will be able to make their inter-island travel reservations and cargo bookings through the company’s Miami office.
The service, when operational, will connect the countries of Barbados, St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada and St Vincent, providing daily services to all these islands, and will involve three vessels, one with a capacity for some 900 passengers, 180 motor vehicles and cargo, and two others, La Palma Express and Nutmeg Express, with a capacity of 260 and 300 respectively. These smaller vessels will provide inter-island tour and charter services.
Ross said the schedule for the larger vessel was currently being revised. He again thanked the governments and people of the region for their patience ands gave the assurance that their wait will not be long for an inter-island travel service that will be affordable, reliable and dependable.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...