New regional ferry to offer free Caribbean travel to sick and disabled passengers
A newly launched serviced created by BEDY's Travel of Grenada will allow disabled travellers or critically ill passengers to enjoy special treatment with free inter-island service connecting them between different Caribbean countries.
An innovative new service will allow travellers with special needs to move freely between islands during Caribbean holidays for medical treatments or leisure purposes when the Caribbean’s new ferry service is launched by BEDY’s Travel of Grenada towards the end of October. From then on free inter-island travel will be offered to the differently able (physically challenged), as well as passengers requiring urgent medical attention, as Benjamin Ross, BEDY’s chief executive officer revealed in Miami last Tuesday.
Explaining that most of the pre-launch plans had now been fine-tuned, Ross said that on each trip made by the service, some 12 free seats will be allocated to the handicapped, passengers requiring urgent medical attention, representatives of government, travelling on government business, members of the clergy, persons travelling on special education assignments as well as police officers and those enjoying Caribbean holidays. This, he explained, will be in keeping with the agency’s special situation seat assignment programme.
Ross also added that, by the end of September, a comprehensive booking system will be in place at locations across the region and people resident in the United States will be able to make their inter-island travel reservations and cargo bookings through the company’s Miami office.
The service, when operational, will connect the countries of Barbados, St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada and St Vincent, providing daily services to all these islands, and will involve three vessels, one with a capacity for some 900 passengers, 180 motor vehicles and cargo, and two others, La Palma Express and Nutmeg Express, with a capacity of 260 and 300 respectively. These smaller vessels will provide inter-island tour and charter services.
Ross said the schedule for the larger vessel was currently being revised. He again thanked the governments and people of the region for their patience ands gave the assurance that their wait will not be long for an inter-island travel service that will be affordable, reliable and dependable.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...