New regional ferry to offer free Caribbean travel to sick and disabled passengers
A newly launched serviced created by BEDY's Travel of Grenada will allow disabled travellers or critically ill passengers to enjoy special treatment with free inter-island service connecting them between different Caribbean countries.
An innovative new service will allow travellers with special needs to move freely between islands during Caribbean holidays for medical treatments or leisure purposes when the Caribbean’s new ferry service is launched by BEDY’s Travel of Grenada towards the end of October. From then on free inter-island travel will be offered to the differently able (physically challenged), as well as passengers requiring urgent medical attention, as Benjamin Ross, BEDY’s chief executive officer revealed in Miami last Tuesday.
Explaining that most of the pre-launch plans had now been fine-tuned, Ross said that on each trip made by the service, some 12 free seats will be allocated to the handicapped, passengers requiring urgent medical attention, representatives of government, travelling on government business, members of the clergy, persons travelling on special education assignments as well as police officers and those enjoying Caribbean holidays. This, he explained, will be in keeping with the agency’s special situation seat assignment programme.
Ross also added that, by the end of September, a comprehensive booking system will be in place at locations across the region and people resident in the United States will be able to make their inter-island travel reservations and cargo bookings through the company’s Miami office.
The service, when operational, will connect the countries of Barbados, St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Grenada and St Vincent, providing daily services to all these islands, and will involve three vessels, one with a capacity for some 900 passengers, 180 motor vehicles and cargo, and two others, La Palma Express and Nutmeg Express, with a capacity of 260 and 300 respectively. These smaller vessels will provide inter-island tour and charter services.
Ross said the schedule for the larger vessel was currently being revised. He again thanked the governments and people of the region for their patience ands gave the assurance that their wait will not be long for an inter-island travel service that will be affordable, reliable and dependable.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...