Island pushes for Barbados holidays to be included in heritage list
Looking to get international recognition as a UNESCO site, Barbados holidays could get a newly revamped image if the island succeeds in being included in the coveted World Heritage List.
Travellers could soon be looking at Barbados holidays in new ways they hadn't before as the island seeks to gain UNESCO recognition and be listed as one of UNESCO's protected sites.
Barbados holidays could get a significant boost in the event of the island finally succeeding in having Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison placed on UNESCO’s prestigious World Heritage List.
To accomplish this, the Acting Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Culture and Community Development, Celia Toppin, told a stakeholders’ meeting recently that a final decision on the island’s bid for nomination to the UNESCO list will be taken next year at the meeting of the World Heritage Committee in Bahrain and it would be then that the future of heritage Barbados holidays would be decided.
Toppin headed speakers at the breakfast meeting arranged for the first group of stakeholders at Hilton Barbados. She said the required dossier on the local site, which stretches from the Garrison to Bridgetown, had been submitted to UNESCO, and the next step would be an evaluation by a technical team from the International Council on Monuments and Sites, which is expected to visit Barbados soon.
“One of the things that will be absolutely critical to the success of our nomination is the formulation and implementation of an efficient management plan for the site”, Toppin said.
Mark Cummins, chairman of the Barbados World Heritage Committee was appointed by the Cabinet to formulate and implement an efficient management plan for the site while Chief Tourism Development Officer with the Ministry of Tourism Nicole Alleyne, one of yesterday’s speakers, explained how aspects of the Barbados Tourism Development Programme would impact on the heritage site nomination that could make Barbados holidays a world recognised holiday destination and historic landmark. She outlined the relationship between that component of the island’s tourism strategy dealing with heritage tourism and any success in Barbados’ efforts to secure the nomination.
Alleyne added that resource protection and sustainability, tourism linkages and revenue generation, public awareness and sustainable institutional structures, all sub-programmes of the Tourism Development Plan, were four themes embodied within what is being done, as Barbados holidays looked towards the nomination of the Garrison and the Bridgetown area.
In addition to this, Mark Cummins outlined the planning regulations and legislation and the role of stakeholders on the management plan, while Director of the Barbados Museum Alissandra Cummins gave an overview of the nomination, detailing what was required.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...