Island pushes for Barbados holidays to be included in heritage list
Looking to get international recognition as a UNESCO site, Barbados holidays could get a newly revamped image if the island succeeds in being included in the coveted World Heritage List.
Travellers could soon be looking at Barbados holidays in new ways they hadn't before as the island seeks to gain UNESCO recognition and be listed as one of UNESCO's protected sites.
Barbados holidays could get a significant boost in the event of the island finally succeeding in having Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison placed on UNESCO’s prestigious World Heritage List.
To accomplish this, the Acting Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Culture and Community Development, Celia Toppin, told a stakeholders’ meeting recently that a final decision on the island’s bid for nomination to the UNESCO list will be taken next year at the meeting of the World Heritage Committee in Bahrain and it would be then that the future of heritage Barbados holidays would be decided.
Toppin headed speakers at the breakfast meeting arranged for the first group of stakeholders at Hilton Barbados. She said the required dossier on the local site, which stretches from the Garrison to Bridgetown, had been submitted to UNESCO, and the next step would be an evaluation by a technical team from the International Council on Monuments and Sites, which is expected to visit Barbados soon.
“One of the things that will be absolutely critical to the success of our nomination is the formulation and implementation of an efficient management plan for the site”, Toppin said.
Mark Cummins, chairman of the Barbados World Heritage Committee was appointed by the Cabinet to formulate and implement an efficient management plan for the site while Chief Tourism Development Officer with the Ministry of Tourism Nicole Alleyne, one of yesterday’s speakers, explained how aspects of the Barbados Tourism Development Programme would impact on the heritage site nomination that could make Barbados holidays a world recognised holiday destination and historic landmark. She outlined the relationship between that component of the island’s tourism strategy dealing with heritage tourism and any success in Barbados’ efforts to secure the nomination.
Alleyne added that resource protection and sustainability, tourism linkages and revenue generation, public awareness and sustainable institutional structures, all sub-programmes of the Tourism Development Plan, were four themes embodied within what is being done, as Barbados holidays looked towards the nomination of the Garrison and the Bridgetown area.
In addition to this, Mark Cummins outlined the planning regulations and legislation and the role of stakeholders on the management plan, while Director of the Barbados Museum Alissandra Cummins gave an overview of the nomination, detailing what was required.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Stay and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Brilliant Barbados: Kids stay and play upto 16 years old when accompanied by 1 or 2 paying adults
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
- Take advantage of savings up to 30% for travel in 2017 and 2018
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...