Barbados holidays experiencing a 10% increase in tourist arrivals
The number of tourist arriving to Barbados holidays during the first half of the year rose by almost 10% when compared against the same period in 2009. Figures from the report revealed that as many as 26,000 more tourists arrived during these months.
Tourist arrivals to Barbados holidays for the first half of this year rose 9.9 % higher than in the same period in 2009, signalling an increase of almost 10% during the first half of the year. According to figures from the Barbados Statistical Service, a provisional 289 967 visitors came to the island between January and June this year, compared to 263 849 last year, recording an increase of over 26,000 people taking Barbados holidays during these months.
The greatest increase in arrivals came from Canada, which produced a massive number of 62 607 tourists in total which more than doubles last year's figures of 37 570 visitors in 2009 representing a 66.6 % increase.
Arrivals from the United States also moved up considerably by 22.6 per cent, from 56 945 in 2009 to 69 793 this year.
Meanwhile, 5.5 % more local Caribbean visitors from Trinidad and Tobago arrived during the six-month period.
The figures show that while 12 064 came in 2009, 12 727 chose to go for Barbados holidays this year.
However, arrivals from other CARICOM countries declined by 5.4 %, from 29 685 for the first half of 2009 to 28 090 during the comparable period this year.
There was a 12.2 pe% decline in the number of tourists from the United Kingdom, with 88 443 arriving for the period under review this year as opposed to 100 704 in 2009.
Declines were also evident in the number of visitors from Germany and other European countries, which saw declines of 6.7 % and 3.1%, respectively.
In addition, cruise passenger arrivals (those who did not permanently disembark in Barbados) amounted to 368 327 in 2010 compared to 347 255 last year – an increase of 6.1%.
However, the number of landed passengers (those who permanently disembarked in Barbados, including direct-transit or transfer passengers, tourists and Barbadian residents) declined by 25.4 %.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Make the most of a good value for money deal, at a family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , a fashionable and lively strip.
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travelers' Choice Award
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Rostrevor hotel has an easy access to shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
Exclusive added values at the Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, set on the trendy South Coast of Barbados
Relax and enjoy great nightlife on the south coast, stay in a great hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach, where you can choose hassle free accommodation
- Book today and receive a free upgrade to the Junior Suite, free Breakfast and a bottle of Mount Gay Rum
- All the rooms are comfortable and come equipped with air conditioning, daily maid service and a balcony or patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars and night clubs.
Leave the kids behind and enjoy the tranquillity of The Club Barbados, an elegantly casual resort with every facility you could wish for.
- Complimentary water sports include water skiing, windsurfing, hobie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
- Perfect for couples, honeymooners and friends
- Relax and take a dip in a choice of three freshwater swimming pools
Enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday with a touch of personal and friendly service at Mango Bay, on Barbados' stunning west coast
- Experience snorkelling with the turtles - take advantage of the catamaran cruise included in your package
- Watersports including waterskiing, hobie-cat sailing, paddle boat, snorkelling, kayaking
- Located on the famous west cost of Barbados, close to fashionable Holetown
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...