Barbados holidays experiencing a 10% increase in tourist arrivals
The number of tourist arriving to Barbados holidays during the first half of the year rose by almost 10% when compared against the same period in 2009. Figures from the report revealed that as many as 26,000 more tourists arrived during these months.
Tourist arrivals to Barbados holidays for the first half of this year rose 9.9 % higher than in the same period in 2009, signalling an increase of almost 10% during the first half of the year. According to figures from the Barbados Statistical Service, a provisional 289 967 visitors came to the island between January and June this year, compared to 263 849 last year, recording an increase of over 26,000 people taking Barbados holidays during these months.
The greatest increase in arrivals came from Canada, which produced a massive number of 62 607 tourists in total which more than doubles last year's figures of 37 570 visitors in 2009 representing a 66.6 % increase.
Arrivals from the United States also moved up considerably by 22.6 per cent, from 56 945 in 2009 to 69 793 this year.
Meanwhile, 5.5 % more local Caribbean visitors from Trinidad and Tobago arrived during the six-month period.
The figures show that while 12 064 came in 2009, 12 727 chose to go for Barbados holidays this year.
However, arrivals from other CARICOM countries declined by 5.4 %, from 29 685 for the first half of 2009 to 28 090 during the comparable period this year.
There was a 12.2 pe% decline in the number of tourists from the United Kingdom, with 88 443 arriving for the period under review this year as opposed to 100 704 in 2009.
Declines were also evident in the number of visitors from Germany and other European countries, which saw declines of 6.7 % and 3.1%, respectively.
In addition, cruise passenger arrivals (those who did not permanently disembark in Barbados) amounted to 368 327 in 2010 compared to 347 255 last year – an increase of 6.1%.
However, the number of landed passengers (those who permanently disembarked in Barbados, including direct-transit or transfer passengers, tourists and Barbadian residents) declined by 25.4 %.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...