More and more Russians go for Cuba holidays
According to the latest release by Cuba's National Office for Statistics Russian travellers are now considered as one of the key developing markets for tourism, as the number of Russians visiting the island shows steady increases of 25% and growing.
Russian travellers are considered one of the key growing tourist markets in the island with the highest increase in the number of visitors going for Cuba holidays, preceded only by Mexico, according to a report released by the National Office for Statistics (ONE).
It looks like Russians are now turning a curious eye to the island that once was their strongest ally during their communist days with more and more affluent holidaymakers taking an interest in Cuba holidays, be it for its cultural riches, its historical ties, its political past and present or its ever-alluring sunny beaches.
In their latest report “Arrival of International Visitors,” ONE considers Russia to be the fastest growing country during the first semester of 2010, when 23,000 tourists from that nation embarked on Cuba holidays.
Such a figure, the report stated, represents a 25 % growth when compared to the same period in the previous year 2009. This increase in numbers is considered as very favourable by the report, which also estimates that it partially compensates “losses due to the fall of traditional markets, like those of Spain and Italy, hit by the current economic crisis.”
One of Cuba’s main sources of hard currency income is tourism, and the Cuba holidays market is one that has suffered a lot during the last couple of years as a consequence of the global economic and financial crisis that has affected much of its primary markets in Europe.
According to the ONE report, 1.4 million holidaymakers arrived in Cuba during the first half of this year, signalling a one percent increase from the same period in 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...