More and more Russians go for Cuba holidays
According to the latest release by Cuba's National Office for Statistics Russian travellers are now considered as one of the key developing markets for tourism, as the number of Russians visiting the island shows steady increases of 25% and growing.
Russian travellers are considered one of the key growing tourist markets in the island with the highest increase in the number of visitors going for Cuba holidays, preceded only by Mexico, according to a report released by the National Office for Statistics (ONE).
It looks like Russians are now turning a curious eye to the island that once was their strongest ally during their communist days with more and more affluent holidaymakers taking an interest in Cuba holidays, be it for its cultural riches, its historical ties, its political past and present or its ever-alluring sunny beaches.
In their latest report “Arrival of International Visitors,” ONE considers Russia to be the fastest growing country during the first semester of 2010, when 23,000 tourists from that nation embarked on Cuba holidays.
Such a figure, the report stated, represents a 25 % growth when compared to the same period in the previous year 2009. This increase in numbers is considered as very favourable by the report, which also estimates that it partially compensates “losses due to the fall of traditional markets, like those of Spain and Italy, hit by the current economic crisis.”
One of Cuba’s main sources of hard currency income is tourism, and the Cuba holidays market is one that has suffered a lot during the last couple of years as a consequence of the global economic and financial crisis that has affected much of its primary markets in Europe.
According to the ONE report, 1.4 million holidaymakers arrived in Cuba during the first half of this year, signalling a one percent increase from the same period in 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...