More and more Russians go for Cuba holidays
According to the latest release by Cuba's National Office for Statistics Russian travellers are now considered as one of the key developing markets for tourism, as the number of Russians visiting the island shows steady increases of 25% and growing.
Russian travellers are considered one of the key growing tourist markets in the island with the highest increase in the number of visitors going for Cuba holidays, preceded only by Mexico, according to a report released by the National Office for Statistics (ONE).
It looks like Russians are now turning a curious eye to the island that once was their strongest ally during their communist days with more and more affluent holidaymakers taking an interest in Cuba holidays, be it for its cultural riches, its historical ties, its political past and present or its ever-alluring sunny beaches.
In their latest report “Arrival of International Visitors,” ONE considers Russia to be the fastest growing country during the first semester of 2010, when 23,000 tourists from that nation embarked on Cuba holidays.
Such a figure, the report stated, represents a 25 % growth when compared to the same period in the previous year 2009. This increase in numbers is considered as very favourable by the report, which also estimates that it partially compensates “losses due to the fall of traditional markets, like those of Spain and Italy, hit by the current economic crisis.”
One of Cuba’s main sources of hard currency income is tourism, and the Cuba holidays market is one that has suffered a lot during the last couple of years as a consequence of the global economic and financial crisis that has affected much of its primary markets in Europe.
According to the ONE report, 1.4 million holidaymakers arrived in Cuba during the first half of this year, signalling a one percent increase from the same period in 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...