More and more Russians go for Cuba holidays
According to the latest release by Cuba's National Office for Statistics Russian travellers are now considered as one of the key developing markets for tourism, as the number of Russians visiting the island shows steady increases of 25% and growing.
Russian travellers are considered one of the key growing tourist markets in the island with the highest increase in the number of visitors going for Cuba holidays, preceded only by Mexico, according to a report released by the National Office for Statistics (ONE).
It looks like Russians are now turning a curious eye to the island that once was their strongest ally during their communist days with more and more affluent holidaymakers taking an interest in Cuba holidays, be it for its cultural riches, its historical ties, its political past and present or its ever-alluring sunny beaches.
In their latest report “Arrival of International Visitors,” ONE considers Russia to be the fastest growing country during the first semester of 2010, when 23,000 tourists from that nation embarked on Cuba holidays.
Such a figure, the report stated, represents a 25 % growth when compared to the same period in the previous year 2009. This increase in numbers is considered as very favourable by the report, which also estimates that it partially compensates “losses due to the fall of traditional markets, like those of Spain and Italy, hit by the current economic crisis.”
One of Cuba’s main sources of hard currency income is tourism, and the Cuba holidays market is one that has suffered a lot during the last couple of years as a consequence of the global economic and financial crisis that has affected much of its primary markets in Europe.
According to the ONE report, 1.4 million holidaymakers arrived in Cuba during the first half of this year, signalling a one percent increase from the same period in 2009.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...