Tourism Ministers meet in London to urge the UK to scrap APD and save Caribbean holidays
Caribbean tourism ministers will be getting into heated discussions on the topic of the looming APD charges due to take effect from November 2010 onwards unless the new government does something to prevent it.
Six Caribbean Community (CARICOM) tourism ministers and delegates from the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) will be meeting in London next week to discuss changes to the British government's airline passenger tax regime. The meetings come just eight weeks before the Airline Passenger Duty (APD) is set to increase from £50 to £75 per person for economy class seats and from £100 to £150 in premium economy, business and first class.
Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean have protested that the tax is inherently unfair for Caribbean holidays and have been lobbying for changes.Countries in the Caribbean have seen UK visitor numbers fall by as much as 25 % following the increase in air passenger duty (APD) last November.
The structure of APD, as an environmental tax, suggests that the impact of a flight to Jamaica holidays or Barbados holidays is greater than one to Miami, Los Angeles or Hawaii, because countries are placed in charging bands calculated by distance from their capital city to London.
Hugh Riley, secretary general and chief executive of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, said: “We feel that the size of the delegation coming to the UK underscores the importance that the Caribbean attaches to this issue and the seriousness of our intent to minimise the possible damage that this second set of price increases will bring about.”
“The rises come at time when a second British recession is being forecast and the Caribbean governments and people feel that it is paramount that we discuss the issue with every responsible body in order to find a mutually acceptable solution as soon as possible.”
Overall, UK visitors to the region fell 12.2 during the first half of 2010. Although Riley admitted the decline was not entirely due to the increase in APD, he said it was a significant factor.
He added: “I am not suggesting that we can pinpoint APD as the only reason for the decrease, there is also the economy and other factors to take into consideration, however I am telling you that the majority of Caribbean countries have seen larger decreases from the UK than from anywhere else.”
The ministers and the CTO delegates are expected to meet with British government officials, members of the British Air Transport Association, major tour operators and airlines, and also with the British Caribbean All Party Parliamentary Group.
The new coalition government has pledged to scrap APD and replace it with a system that taxes per plane rather than per passenger, which aims to target inefficient planes and discourage airlines from flying half-empty aircrafts. However, during his emergency budget speech, Chancellor George Osborne said that any major changes would be subject to public consultations, and delayed a decision on scrapping APD until the autumn.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...