Costa Rica holidays ranked in Top 10 of most environmentally pure destinations
Costa Rica holidays rank among the cleanest, greenest and most pristine holiday destinations in the world as revealed by a recent report issued in the Economist, and also published on Skyscanner comparison site.
According to a recent report issued by The Economist and published on Cheapflights' comparison site Skyscanner, Costa Rica holidays rank among the highest clean, green and pristine holiday destinations in the world. The report takes a look at the top ten cleanest, greenest countries, (according to The Economist), where the air is pure and the water clean.
Coming in at number 5 in the Top 10, the site explains just why Costa Rica holidays are so environmentally enriching: "This Central American country has been deemed the world’s ‘most natural conservation area’ having protected more than 27% of its land by creating a network of Wildlife Refuges, Biological Reserves and National Parks. Costa Rica offers a diverse range of ecosystems and activities; trek through million-year old rainforest, hike volcanoes, raft wild rivers, and spy jaguars, reptiles and multicoloured birds. "
In the Top 5 also were lush green Nordic holiday destinations such as Switzerland, Norway, Sweden and Finland, who all beat Costa Rica holidays (even if only by an extremely narrow gap) because of its Old World legendary green places. In the case of Switzerland it was its alpine beauty which made it the number one green destination, with so much of the country made up of green mountains and lake. Norway, coming in at number two, pays attribute to its tourist board slogan of "Powered by Nature" with its steep cliffs plunging into deep blue fjords whilst waterfalls cascade down the mountainsides creating a landscape of sheer beauty...something truly out of this world and which can be experienced during breathaking hiking trails. And coming jointly in second place, let's not forget Sweden and its cascading northern lights, white sandy beaches, mountains, meadows and a glittering array of over 24,000 islands. Sweden was the second country in the world to introduce an eco-tourism charter, and also created Europe’s first eco-label that assures the quality of around 180 holidays and activities run by its 80 eco-certified tour operators around the country.
And stealing the number four spot, Finland's famous Lapland is one of Europe’s last true areas of unspoiled wilderness, with vast swathes of forest and hundreds of pristine lakes, visitors can enjoy the midnight sun, stunning natural scenery and see bear and lynx. A paradise for campers, hikers and bikers, Finland was recently named ‘Best Country in the World’ by Newsweek, and is one great escape.
Ranked at number 6,7,8,9 and 10 behind Costa Rica holidays were Austria, New Zealand, Latvia, Colombia and France, in that order.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Book in any Preferred Club Room and receive the Free to Explore package including a Nicaragua Tour and Much more
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
- Both kids and teens can mingle at our Explorers Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia.
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...