Barbados holidays focusing on the island's culinary appeal
On behalf of Barbados' Hotel and Tourism Association, Assistant Executive Michelle Smith-Mayers revealed her intentions on developing the gastronomic appeal of Barbados holidays, which has often been recognised as the Caribbean's culinary capital.
Working on developing the Barbados holidays market and exploiting every attraction the island has to offer, the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) is courting a new niche market in culinary tourism. On this topic, Assistant Executive Vice President Michelle Smith-Mayers said yesterday the island was recognised as the culinary capital of the Caribbean, and was looking to its young culinary professionals to drive its thrust in this area of tourism.
Smith-Mayers revealed her intentions to boost the culinary capabilities of Barbados holidays to captivate visitors' palates at the Sandy Lane Hotel where Barbados’ culinary team for this year’s Taste Of The Caribbean food and drink festival were undergoing training for the 9th-12th September competition to be held in Puerto Rico. Barbados is fielding the youngest ever team in the competition staged by the Caribbean Hotel Association, and Smith-Mayers disclosed that in a change from past years, the members of this year’s team were selected from winners in the NIFCA Culinary Arts Competition.
She told the Press conference: “We try to use this process to develop our young people in Barbados who are the future of our culinary industry.
“The Barbados culinary team is very important in moving Barbados towards being able to tap into the niche market possibilities of epicurean and culinary tourism.”
The Barbadian team is currently undergoing 5 weeks of intensive training and preparation, including three public gourmet evenings. The first is a gourmet dinner at the Grill, Barbados Hilton, on August 20; the second a gourmet lunch at the Cassia Room, Sandy Lane Hotel, and the third a gourmet dinner at the Upper Level Spa, Sandy Lane.
The BHTA assistant executive vice president said that during Barbados holidays, diners could select from a large number of restaurants with all different sorts of cuisine, and a rich and diverse culinary heritage.
The Barbados Taste Of The Caribbean team is being trained by past culinary team members, expatriate chefs and veterans like Peter Edey and Graham Licorish, who have both have garnished extensive experience in serving outstanding culinary creations to gourmet palates and discerning diners on Barbados holidays.
Preparing for Puerto Rico are chefs Mitchell Husbands (Coral Reef Club) – team leader; Andre Nurse (Hilton Barbados) – commis chef; Wilwore Jordan (Sandy Lane Hotel) – chef de partie; Thaddeus Sealy (Coral Reef Club) – chef; Henderson Butcher – team manager; Creig Greenidge – assistant team manager and Queen’s College student Stephanie Sayers – apprentice chef. The pastry chefs are Janelle Crawford (Almond Casuarina) and Ezra Beckles, Harold Harper (Fairmont Royal Pavilion) and Andre Tull (Sandy Lane). (GC)
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...