Cruising Cuba holidays still a very distant possibility for American cruisers
Despite some new rumours and moves signalling an end for the travel ban imposed on Cuba holidays for American travellers, the future of Caribbean cruising holidays in which Cuba would form part of the itinerary looks still very distant for cruise lines.
The possibility of Cuba holidays for the American cruising industry is looking very far off. Even when counting on the scenario that the U.S. finally lifts the Cuba travel ban, it could still take very long for cruising become a full reality since a lot of works and developments would neet to take place in the island for it to become cruise-friendly.
Experts are advising those in the cruising sector to hold their horses and for now and "don't expect Havana to be a port of call for American cruise lines any time soon", said Richard Sasso, board chairman of the Cruise Lines International Association, an organisation that also is the trade group for 25 cruise lines serving North America.
But it's not all hopelessness and disilusion for those looking forward to Cuba holidays provided by cruising ships lining the island's pristine shores. Heartened by news reports, Sasso foresees the day when Cuba will be on the Caribbean holidays itinerary of every major cruise line.
"Right now, though, they lack the infrastructure and facilities to handle the huge influx of vessels and visitors," he added.
"It'll probably take one, two or maybe three years before the necessary developments are completed. Lots of work has to be done."
The association chairman, one of Celebrity Cruise line's founders, came out of retirement several years ago to serve as president of the Mediterranean Shipping Co.'s North American section.
Senators of both political parties have indicated they have sufficient votes to lift the American ban on Cuba travel, a motion has been going since last November 2009 and since then U.S. Congressmen have promised to achieve the lifting of the restrictions to allow Americans to be free to go on Cuba holidays.
President Barack Obama modified the travel restriction last year, allowing Cubans to visit relatives in Cuba and if the congress doesn't manage to get enough supporters to end the ban, President Obama could act on his own, as he did last year when he lifted some of the restrictions.
Under existing law, only American journalists, university employees and students, Cuban-Americans (or American citizens from Cuban descent) and people on humanitarian missions are permitted to travel to Cuba or enjoy Cuba holidays at leisure.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...