Cruising Cuba holidays still a very distant possibility for American cruisers
Despite some new rumours and moves signalling an end for the travel ban imposed on Cuba holidays for American travellers, the future of Caribbean cruising holidays in which Cuba would form part of the itinerary looks still very distant for cruise lines.
The possibility of Cuba holidays for the American cruising industry is looking very far off. Even when counting on the scenario that the U.S. finally lifts the Cuba travel ban, it could still take very long for cruising become a full reality since a lot of works and developments would neet to take place in the island for it to become cruise-friendly.
Experts are advising those in the cruising sector to hold their horses and for now and "don't expect Havana to be a port of call for American cruise lines any time soon", said Richard Sasso, board chairman of the Cruise Lines International Association, an organisation that also is the trade group for 25 cruise lines serving North America.
But it's not all hopelessness and disilusion for those looking forward to Cuba holidays provided by cruising ships lining the island's pristine shores. Heartened by news reports, Sasso foresees the day when Cuba will be on the Caribbean holidays itinerary of every major cruise line.
"Right now, though, they lack the infrastructure and facilities to handle the huge influx of vessels and visitors," he added.
"It'll probably take one, two or maybe three years before the necessary developments are completed. Lots of work has to be done."
The association chairman, one of Celebrity Cruise line's founders, came out of retirement several years ago to serve as president of the Mediterranean Shipping Co.'s North American section.
Senators of both political parties have indicated they have sufficient votes to lift the American ban on Cuba travel, a motion has been going since last November 2009 and since then U.S. Congressmen have promised to achieve the lifting of the restrictions to allow Americans to be free to go on Cuba holidays.
President Barack Obama modified the travel restriction last year, allowing Cubans to visit relatives in Cuba and if the congress doesn't manage to get enough supporters to end the ban, President Obama could act on his own, as he did last year when he lifted some of the restrictions.
Under existing law, only American journalists, university employees and students, Cuban-Americans (or American citizens from Cuban descent) and people on humanitarian missions are permitted to travel to Cuba or enjoy Cuba holidays at leisure.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...