Cruising Cuba holidays still a very distant possibility for American cruisers
Despite some new rumours and moves signalling an end for the travel ban imposed on Cuba holidays for American travellers, the future of Caribbean cruising holidays in which Cuba would form part of the itinerary looks still very distant for cruise lines.
The possibility of Cuba holidays for the American cruising industry is looking very far off. Even when counting on the scenario that the U.S. finally lifts the Cuba travel ban, it could still take very long for cruising become a full reality since a lot of works and developments would neet to take place in the island for it to become cruise-friendly.
Experts are advising those in the cruising sector to hold their horses and for now and "don't expect Havana to be a port of call for American cruise lines any time soon", said Richard Sasso, board chairman of the Cruise Lines International Association, an organisation that also is the trade group for 25 cruise lines serving North America.
But it's not all hopelessness and disilusion for those looking forward to Cuba holidays provided by cruising ships lining the island's pristine shores. Heartened by news reports, Sasso foresees the day when Cuba will be on the Caribbean holidays itinerary of every major cruise line.
"Right now, though, they lack the infrastructure and facilities to handle the huge influx of vessels and visitors," he added.
"It'll probably take one, two or maybe three years before the necessary developments are completed. Lots of work has to be done."
The association chairman, one of Celebrity Cruise line's founders, came out of retirement several years ago to serve as president of the Mediterranean Shipping Co.'s North American section.
Senators of both political parties have indicated they have sufficient votes to lift the American ban on Cuba travel, a motion has been going since last November 2009 and since then U.S. Congressmen have promised to achieve the lifting of the restrictions to allow Americans to be free to go on Cuba holidays.
President Barack Obama modified the travel restriction last year, allowing Cubans to visit relatives in Cuba and if the congress doesn't manage to get enough supporters to end the ban, President Obama could act on his own, as he did last year when he lifted some of the restrictions.
Under existing law, only American journalists, university employees and students, Cuban-Americans (or American citizens from Cuban descent) and people on humanitarian missions are permitted to travel to Cuba or enjoy Cuba holidays at leisure.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...