Sri Lankan Airlines plans new airport hotel
Sri Lankan Airlines have announced plans to build a new hotel for travellers on Sri Lanka holidays near the Bandaranaike International Airport at Katunayake, 30 km north of the island's capital city, Colombo.
The Chairman of Sri Lankan Airlines, Nishantha Wickremasinghe, has announced plans to build a new hotel next to the island's main airport, Bandaranaike International Airport.
"We are about to start building an airport hotel right in front of the departure lounge," he explained.
The new development will be an addition to Colombo hotels near the airport and will feature 125 rooms for travellers on Sri Lanka holidays and business trips.
The Sri Lanka hotel is being built upon a site where an abandoned factory sits at an export processing zone and will provide convenient accommodation and facilities for travellers on business trips and Sri Lanka holidays.
Travellers can stay at the hotel when they arrive off their flights to Sri Lanka before heading off to explore the rest of the stunning island.
Since the end of the Sri Lanka civil war, the island has seen a significant increase in travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays and more hotel companies are expanding their collection to accommodate the immediate boost in tourism to the island.
The island country is located in the Indian Ocean, just 30 km off the coast of India and is made up of stunning surroundings including tropical forests, pristine beaches, mountains, and an abundance of wildlife, fauna and flora.
Travellers on Sri Lanka holidays can enjoy a range of activities including hiking through the rainforests or up the mountains in the south central part of the island; surfing some of the best waves in the world; wake boarding, diving and sailing; wildlife safaris; cycling; white water rafting; deep sea fishing; and yoga and meditation at tranquil retreats.
As well as planning the development of the new Sri Lanka hotel, Sri Lankan Airlines are also busy expanding its fleet of aircraft. This week, the airline received the delivery of its new Airbus aircraft as part of their plans to double their fleet and add new destinations and routes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Colombo Browse all
Discover Sri Lanka at its most beautiful and capture the magestic sights of Wales
- Visit the Old Dutch churches and monuments in Galle
- Benefit from the expertise of a local English speaking guide
- Discover the Turtle Hatchery in Kosgoda
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the wonderful sights and sound of one of the Jewels of the Indian Ocean
- Capture sights of any of the 'Big Five' on your game drives
- The perfect location for hiking and cycling with excellent trails and cool climate in N'Eliya
- Climb up the Ritigala for a unique sight and stone stairway
Take advantage of visiting two destinations in one go with this India and Sri Lanka offer!
- Visit the Rangiriya Dambulla Cave Temple, a UNESCO world heritage site in Sri Lanka dating back to the 1st century
- Climb aboard the traditional kettuvallams (houseboats) one of the 50 "must do" things as described by the National Geographic Traveller magazine
- Explore a spice plantation on a guided walk including a Tea Trail program
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Beautifully sitting upon an area of absolute grandeur surrounded by a sprawling 38--acre coconut plantation bordering...
Sprawling across 7 acres of tropical grounds and set overlooking the magnificent Beira Lake and the beautiful Indian...
With a convenient location close to the city's main business hub, the Taj Samundra stands out as one of the best 5-star...