JHTA's best attraction, expands operations and enrich Jamaica holidays
The award-winning Dolphin Cove, a popular attraction for tourists on Jamaica holidays and local residents, is expanding its operations by acquiring extra land, introducing new programs, and creating numerous jobs for local Jamaicans.
The popular tourist attraction, Dolphin Cove, is undergoing extensive expansion plans which will see the creation of numerous jobs for local residents and the introduction of programmes involving sharks, dolphins and stingrays for travellers on Jamaica holidays and school trips.
The Jamaica tourist attraction won the Best Attraction Award for 2010 which was awarded by the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA).
The original Dolphin Cove is situated in Ocho Rios, St. Ann, and the new development will be upon 20 acres of land in Hanover where there will be a large park, jungle trails, and programmes where visitors can swim with dolphins, snorkel with stingrays and pet sharks.
Public Relations Manager of Dolphin Cove, Roger Kerr, explained: "We broke ground for this attraction in September last year, and it is scheduled to be opened in a few weeks."
Nearly $500million has been invested into the new attraction which is scheduled to open in different stages and giving 200 Jamaicans jobs.
The attraction is recognised for its programme offerings and high level of customer service and is often recommended by luxury Jamaica hotels and resort to their guests for a fun day out for all of the family.
As well as tourists enjoying holidays in Jamaica, the attraction also sees many local visitors. Kerr said:
"We expect to have a lot of Jamaicans, as part of the experience Jamaica campaign that the Jamaica Tourist Board is having, to help encourage Jamaicans to experience the Tourism products.
"In terms of our overseas visitors, as long as the hotels are doing well then we will get the guests and with the steady arrival of cruise ships to the Ocho Rios Piers, we are sure that the tour companies will bring the visitors here as well."
The aquatic attraction will also provide an excellent learning experience for school groups.
"On that jungle trail you get to see and interact with a variety of birds. We also have iguanas that you can see and pet and touch, and we have the Jamaican Yellow Boa here too as part of our attractions," Kerr added.
There will be three programmes where visitors on Jamaica holidays can enjoy an experience of a lifetime.
"Firstly, there is the "Touch Programme" where you get to touch, pet and kiss the dolphin and the dolphin does tricks and splashes and jumps, and it is an intimate activity that brings you up close and personal with the dolphin and it is a great programme for children and persons who are non-swimmers to participate in," Mr. Kerr explains.
The second programme allows advanced swimmers the chance to swim with dolphins in the lagoon for 30 minutes where they can ride on the dolphin's belly and enjoy interaction with the beautiful creatures.
The third programme will enable swimmers to spend half an hour in the lagoon with two dolphins and enjoy a foot push and a dorsal pull.
"The foot push is when two dolphins come behind you while you are floating and they push you from the soles of your feet at high speed through the water, and elevate you above the surface of the water; and the dorsal pull is when you lie between the two dolphins, holding on to their dorsal fin, and they pull you around the lagoon for a few seconds."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...