Leisure Canada welcomes new US-Cuba Travel vote and plans properties for Cuba Holidays
Leisure Canada has welcomed the recent developments by the United States House of Representatives as the House Agriculture Committee vote in favour of US travel to Cuba, and are looking to continue with plans to build properties for Cuba holidays.
The House of Agriculture Committee voted in favour of U.S travel to Cuba last month, providing welcome news for Leisure Canada who is keen to start the development of a series of new Cuba hotels.
President and CEO of Leisure Canada Inc, Robin Conners, said:
"The passing of this bill would mean that any US citizen would have the right to travel to Cuba. Given the easing of sanctions against Cuba in the last year, we believe that there is a strong probability that this bill will pass in the near future. In the meantime, our plans to build the first of several luxury hotels in Cuba are progressing so we can take advantage of what we believe will be an extensive economic and tourism boom post embargo."
Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker, will have to decide when the proposed bill, which will allow US travellers to freely travel to the country and enjoy Cuba holidays, will take to the House floor for the vote but this is anticipated to be in the near future.
Last December, a videoconference was held in Havana between Cuban tourism officials and U.S tour operators. The tourism officials were asked if they felt that Cuba was ready for the expected influx of US travellers taking trips and holidays in Cuba if the ban was lifted.
U.S Tour Operators and the National Tour Association handle 75 percent of package tour business to the Caribbean. President of U.S Tour Operators, Robert Whitely, said: "Americans really want to see Cuba. We predict that at least 850,000 Americans will go to Cuba in the first year."
A study from the U.S International Trade Commission supports these figures and says: "The number of additional U.S. tourists arriving in Cuba annually, following removal of the travel ban, is estimated to be between 500,000 and 1 million."
So far, there are over 130 U.S trade groups, humanitarian groups, religious organisation and human rights groups who have pledged their support for the lift of the travel ban.
The ban was enforced in 1962 and ended all business trading and travel between the U.S and Cuba. Last year, President Obama relaxed the ban and allowed US travellers with relatives in Cuba to travel to the region and enjoy Cuba holidays with their loved ones.
If the ban is completely lifted Cuba will receive a welcome boost in tourism numbers and economical benefits within the region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th June 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...