Sri Lanka holidays invest $10 billion in tourism sector
Preparing for the rapid influx of travellers flocking down to their pristine shores, Sri Lanka's tourism sector is heavily investing in the country's tourism infrastructure as they put $10b towards expanding room capacity and upgrading current hotels.
Quickly stepping up to the challenge as they gear up to face the increasing number of tourist arrivals Sri Lanka holidays are investing US$ 10 billion to enhance the room capacity and upgrade Sri Lanka hotels. "It is necessary to carry out brand building and image enhancement activities. Brand development is needed to improve credibility, dependability, believability and acceptability in the minds of the tourists," Jetwing Hotels Ltd Chairman Hiran Cooray explained.
Speaking at a seminar on current development and future prospects for Sri lanka holidays organised by Acuity Stock Brokers (Pvt) Ltd last week in Colombo, he also added that approximately 2,000-3,000 new hotel rooms will be constructed during 2010 as the country aims to add approximately 20,000 hotel rooms in the next six years to cater to the anticipated boom in tourism, as more and more interests grows among travellers opting for Sri Lanka holidays.
The Tourism Development Authority has already approved the construction of new hotels in Passekudah and Batticaloa to promote eastern beaches as a tourist destination. Further, new zones which are being developed as tourist hotel sites are, Kuchchaveli north of the eastern port and five islands in Kalpitiya, which would be similar to the ones that can be found during Maldives holidays.
As far as developing tourism related infrastructure facilities go, the Government plans to build a domestic airport at Uchchamunai, an under-water amusement park in Kandakkuliya, a golf course in Dutch Bay, a race course and a cricket ground in Kalpitiya. Fishing Tourism, Leisure Tourism and Ayurvedic Tourism are some of the concepts the Government is planning to implement to attract the global appeal.
For the year 2009 the tourism sector enjoyed total earnings of nearly Rs 40,133 million which is equivalent to US$ 350 mn an increase of 8 percent over 2008. Also with higher post war rate structure expected after November 2010, annual earnings should surpass US$ 500 million.
The overall occupancy rate hit an average of 48.4 percent in 2009 when compared with the corresponding period of 43%. Further the occupancy rates hit an all time high for the first three months of 2010 at an average of 82 %t.
Considering the top ten contributors to Sri Lanka holidays, India retained its top position in 2008 and 2009, though the arrivals from India decreased by 2 % in absolute terms while the UK remained in second position with an increase of 263 tourists taking Sri Lanka holidays in 2009.
It is a noteworthy feature that new source markets like Canada and Japan are now featuring in the list while Japan which was dropped from the list in 2008 has come back to the top ten arrivals as a result of the Japanese Government relaxing their travel advisories on Sri Lanka holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....