Amaya Leisure to invest $100 million into four new Sri Lanka hotels
Amaya Leisure has revealed that it is looking to invest US $100 million over the next four years into four new Sri Lanka hotels as the company looks to expands to meet the demands of the post-war travel market.
Amaya Leisure, a company connected to the Vallibel group in Sri Lanka, have announced that they will be investing US$100million into four Sri Lanka hotels over the next four years as part of an expansion plan to meet the demands of post-war travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays.
Managing Director of Amaya Leisure, Lalin Samarawickrama, reportedly told a forum in Colombo: "We intend on completing all these projects before 2014."If we (Sri Lanka) are to reach 2,500,000 tourists, we need bedrooms. Amaya intends on expanding to 1,000 bedrooms by 2014. That is our target."
With over 447,000 travellers visiting Sri Lanka last year and an expected 600,000 travellers to visit the island and stay in Sri Lanka hotels and resorts this year, the island country is seeing a welcomed boost in tourism after the end of the 30 year long civil war. In June 2010, tourist arrivals were up by 48 percent after the war ended in May 2009.
Amaya Leisure, a holding of Connaissance Holdings, currently has three Sri Lanka hotels and resorts; Amaya Hills, Kandy, Amaya Reef, Hikkaduwa; and Amaya Lake, Dambulla.
Starting off in 1981 as the tour operator, Connaissance, Amaya Leisure was established just before the three decade-long war began following ethnic riots in 1983.
In 1994, the company built their first chalet-type hotel near Kandalama Lake in central Sri Lanka and in 2005; this was rebranded and refurbished into a four star luxury hotel.
Amaya Leisure is now planning to expand their portfolio with the construction of four new luxury hotels in Sri Lanka. One of the proposed Sri Lanka hotels is Amaya Sands which will be built on the south western coast in Wadduwa and is expected to cost US$15million. Samarawickrama said: "Foreign architects are finalizing the designs. The concept is there and hopefully by 2012 we should be able to put this out in to the market."
The remaining Sri Lanka hotels include a 200 room property set upon 14 acres of land in Negambo and set to cost US$30million; a 30-room chalet-style property on 24 acres of land in Kalpitiya, expected to cost US$15million; and a 200 room luxury resort in Mirissa, near Matara on the south coast, which is expected to cost US$20million. The remaining US$10million is expected to be spent on refurbishing the existing Sri Lanka hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...