Amaya Leisure to invest $100 million into four new Sri Lanka hotels
Amaya Leisure has revealed that it is looking to invest US $100 million over the next four years into four new Sri Lanka hotels as the company looks to expands to meet the demands of the post-war travel market.
Amaya Leisure, a company connected to the Vallibel group in Sri Lanka, have announced that they will be investing US$100million into four Sri Lanka hotels over the next four years as part of an expansion plan to meet the demands of post-war travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays.
Managing Director of Amaya Leisure, Lalin Samarawickrama, reportedly told a forum in Colombo: "We intend on completing all these projects before 2014."If we (Sri Lanka) are to reach 2,500,000 tourists, we need bedrooms. Amaya intends on expanding to 1,000 bedrooms by 2014. That is our target."
With over 447,000 travellers visiting Sri Lanka last year and an expected 600,000 travellers to visit the island and stay in Sri Lanka hotels and resorts this year, the island country is seeing a welcomed boost in tourism after the end of the 30 year long civil war. In June 2010, tourist arrivals were up by 48 percent after the war ended in May 2009.
Amaya Leisure, a holding of Connaissance Holdings, currently has three Sri Lanka hotels and resorts; Amaya Hills, Kandy, Amaya Reef, Hikkaduwa; and Amaya Lake, Dambulla.
Starting off in 1981 as the tour operator, Connaissance, Amaya Leisure was established just before the three decade-long war began following ethnic riots in 1983.
In 1994, the company built their first chalet-type hotel near Kandalama Lake in central Sri Lanka and in 2005; this was rebranded and refurbished into a four star luxury hotel.
Amaya Leisure is now planning to expand their portfolio with the construction of four new luxury hotels in Sri Lanka. One of the proposed Sri Lanka hotels is Amaya Sands which will be built on the south western coast in Wadduwa and is expected to cost US$15million. Samarawickrama said: "Foreign architects are finalizing the designs. The concept is there and hopefully by 2012 we should be able to put this out in to the market."
The remaining Sri Lanka hotels include a 200 room property set upon 14 acres of land in Negambo and set to cost US$30million; a 30-room chalet-style property on 24 acres of land in Kalpitiya, expected to cost US$15million; and a 200 room luxury resort in Mirissa, near Matara on the south coast, which is expected to cost US$20million. The remaining US$10million is expected to be spent on refurbishing the existing Sri Lanka hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...