World Travel Awards unveils winners under Indian Ocean holidays categories
The Maldives, Mauritius and Seychelles have come out on top as the best luxury destinations offering Indian Ocean holidays at this year's World Travel Awards ceremony which was held in Johannesburg, South Africa on Wednesday 7th July 2010.
At this year's World Travel Awards Africa and Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony, Mauritius, Maldives and Seychelles received a number of awards as luxury destinations offering travellers Indian Ocean holidays. The prestigious event was held last Wednesday 7th July and was attended by 1200 of the region's most senior leaders in the travel industry.
Mauritius received the most awards under the Indian Ocean categories and was also named as the leading destination in the Indian Ocean. The region received award for its Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport; Air Mauritius for the leading airline in the Indian Ocean; and a leading hotel which offers luxury Mauritius holidays, Trou Aux Biches, was recognised as the Leading Beach Destination in the Indian Ocean.
A number of Maldives hotels were awarded prestigious titles including Cocoa Island for the Leading Boutique Hotel; Baros Maldives for the Indian Ocean's Leading Hotel; Conrad Maldives Rangali Island for the Indian Ocean's Leading Resort; and W Retreat & Spa for the Indian Ocean's Leading Spa Resort. The Maldives also received an award under a new category for the Indian Ocean's Leading Honeymoon Destination.
The Seychelles received numerous awards for its effort in providing luxury and green Seychelles holidays for travellers. The luxury destination won the award for the Indian Ocean's Leading Green Resort with North Island, Seychelles; Maia, Seychelles for the Indian Oceans' Leading Luxury Resort; and Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove for the Seychelles' Leading Resort.
Government ministers, celebrities and industry professionals attended the event to see leading travel and hospitality companies, who specialise in Africa and Indian Ocean holidays, receive their prestigious awards. Industry professionals voted for the winners using an online voting system.
Founder and President of World Travel Awards, Graham Cooke, said:
"Because of their global reach and reputation, World Travel Awards are unique and regularly referred to as the ‘Oscars' of travel and tourism. This means that consumers are increasingly using our portfolio of winners as a reliable and independent guide when booking their vacation.
"Customer care and professionalism of Indian Ocean tourism has come a long way in the years since the World Travel Awards was first started. There have been many challenges and issues to confront, but the Indian Ocean has proved that it more than measures up to the test.
"The region can be justly proud of its achievements, raising the quality bar for the rest of the world and fulfilling customer dreams."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Indian Ocean Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Add three nights in Dubai at the Hilton Garden Inn Mall of The Emirates, with breakfast and transfers, from £199 per person
- Free upgrade from a Courtyard Room to a Superior Garden Room for stays between 23 March to 30 September 2018
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
One of the newest and most beautiful hotels to be gracing the sunkissed eastern shore of Mauritius in Palmar, the Ambre...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....