Over 1 million tourists took South Africa holidays during the FIFA World Cup
With over one million visitors and football fans flocking down to Africa to join in the football furore, South Africa holidays have enjoyed an unprecedented surge in the number of worldwide travellers visiting the country.
It has been reported that over one million holidaymakers have taken South Africa holidays in order to attend the FIFA World Cup football events, officials have confirmed and a special late surge was expected as the tournament entered its final week.
According to immigration records compiled by the South Africa department of home affairs, the total number of arrivals during June totalled 1.3 million. And it is predicted that after this boom interest in Africa holidays might continue to creep up after the football season comes to an end.
The figures of travellers taking South Africa holidays for the World Cup is up by 0.3 million from the 1.01 million visitors recorded for the same period of 2009.
African visitors have been among the most numerous arrivals – with nationals from Lesotho, Zimbabwe. Mozambique, Swaziland and Botswana – leading the way.
Europe has also been strongly represented, with tourists from the UK, Germany and the Netherlands all turning out in force to suppor their teams.
“We take this opportunity to congratulate all national teams that have so far participated in the tournament in their quest to become world football champions, and in particular those national teams including Ghana who have qualified for the quarter finals of the World Cup,”
The data was recorded by the South Africa’s Movement Control System, which is deployed at 34 priority ports of entry across the country.
The system has also been deployed to deny illegal entry during the World Cup, with 188 people prevented from entering South Africa due to possession of fraudulent visas, permits, travel documents and stamps or failure to meet immigration requirements.
These include the interception and deportation of ten Argentinean and British soccer hooligans over the past few weeks, officials added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Discover Morocco with plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment for the whole family
Benefit from the private balcony with wonderful garden or sea views at Agadir Beach Club
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with the activities for everyone to enjoy - indoor pool, kids' club, beach volleyball, table tennis and more
- Relax and enjoy the fabulous spa services and all massage treatment rooms
- Elegant and modern restaurants offering international, seafood, French, Moroccan and Italian cuisines
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...