Over 1 million tourists took South Africa holidays during the FIFA World Cup
With over one million visitors and football fans flocking down to Africa to join in the football furore, South Africa holidays have enjoyed an unprecedented surge in the number of worldwide travellers visiting the country.
It has been reported that over one million holidaymakers have taken South Africa holidays in order to attend the FIFA World Cup football events, officials have confirmed and a special late surge was expected as the tournament entered its final week.
According to immigration records compiled by the South Africa department of home affairs, the total number of arrivals during June totalled 1.3 million. And it is predicted that after this boom interest in Africa holidays might continue to creep up after the football season comes to an end.
The figures of travellers taking South Africa holidays for the World Cup is up by 0.3 million from the 1.01 million visitors recorded for the same period of 2009.
African visitors have been among the most numerous arrivals – with nationals from Lesotho, Zimbabwe. Mozambique, Swaziland and Botswana – leading the way.
Europe has also been strongly represented, with tourists from the UK, Germany and the Netherlands all turning out in force to suppor their teams.
“We take this opportunity to congratulate all national teams that have so far participated in the tournament in their quest to become world football champions, and in particular those national teams including Ghana who have qualified for the quarter finals of the World Cup,”
The data was recorded by the South Africa’s Movement Control System, which is deployed at 34 priority ports of entry across the country.
The system has also been deployed to deny illegal entry during the World Cup, with 188 people prevented from entering South Africa due to possession of fraudulent visas, permits, travel documents and stamps or failure to meet immigration requirements.
These include the interception and deportation of ten Argentinean and British soccer hooligans over the past few weeks, officials added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Travel through the wonderful winelands region of South Africa before a short stay in a fully-equipped Dubai city hotel
- Doubletree by Hilton Al Barsha is set in Dubai's Al Barsha area, close to world-class shops, restaurants and popular Dubai attractions, just behind the Mall of The Emirates.
- Rental car included for the tour of South Africa
- Travel through the Winelands and Cape Peninsula in one of the most beautiful areas of the world
Unique experience to discover the beautiful nature of South Africa and the dynamic life of Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- extraordinary South Africa tour gives you the flexibility to discover the beauty of this amazing country at your own speed
- Your hotel in Dubai enjoys a fantastic locaiton in the heart of the historic Deira within walking distance to the gold souks
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...