Over 1 million tourists took South Africa holidays during the FIFA World Cup
With over one million visitors and football fans flocking down to Africa to join in the football furore, South Africa holidays have enjoyed an unprecedented surge in the number of worldwide travellers visiting the country.
It has been reported that over one million holidaymakers have taken South Africa holidays in order to attend the FIFA World Cup football events, officials have confirmed and a special late surge was expected as the tournament entered its final week.
According to immigration records compiled by the South Africa department of home affairs, the total number of arrivals during June totalled 1.3 million. And it is predicted that after this boom interest in Africa holidays might continue to creep up after the football season comes to an end.
The figures of travellers taking South Africa holidays for the World Cup is up by 0.3 million from the 1.01 million visitors recorded for the same period of 2009.
African visitors have been among the most numerous arrivals – with nationals from Lesotho, Zimbabwe. Mozambique, Swaziland and Botswana – leading the way.
Europe has also been strongly represented, with tourists from the UK, Germany and the Netherlands all turning out in force to suppor their teams.
“We take this opportunity to congratulate all national teams that have so far participated in the tournament in their quest to become world football champions, and in particular those national teams including Ghana who have qualified for the quarter finals of the World Cup,”
The data was recorded by the South Africa’s Movement Control System, which is deployed at 34 priority ports of entry across the country.
The system has also been deployed to deny illegal entry during the World Cup, with 188 people prevented from entering South Africa due to possession of fraudulent visas, permits, travel documents and stamps or failure to meet immigration requirements.
These include the interception and deportation of ten Argentinean and British soccer hooligans over the past few weeks, officials added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Relaxing by the pool with a glass of a cocktail while enjoying spectacular views of the Red Sea
- Get the most of the 24-Hour all-inclusive service
- Enjoy the private beach and on-site dive centre with opportunities for scuba diving at the house coral reef
- Great hotel for families with plenty of activities to keep the kids and adults busy throughout
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Unique experience to discover the beautiful nature of South Africa and the dynamic life of Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- extraordinary South Africa tour gives you the flexibility to discover the beauty of this amazing country at your own speed
- Your hotel in Dubai enjoys a fantastic locaiton in the heart of the historic Deira within walking distance to the gold souks
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Enjoy the best of Egypt's coastal riches as you make the resort town of Sharm El Sheikh your home away from home. And...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Beautifully crafted to reflect modern Andalusian style, a Spanish region that was for long conquered by the Moroccan...