Those on Cuba holidays enjoyed a Chinese Fest like no other
Those attending the Chinese-Cuban festival in Havana held recently on the island's capital from 17th to 18th July got to witness a unique show at the hands of a folkloric orchestra group from Shenzhen, as well as a range of Chinese-inspired exhibitions.
For the delight of many tourists on Cuba holidays attending the unique Chinese-Cuban festival in Havana they got to witness and enjoy a unique show at the hands of The Folkloric Music Group of the Traditional Orchestra of Aihua de Shenzhen, a group of magnificent performers who came to the island for the special occasion. The group of musicians and acrobats made a masterly performance on Thursday at the Covarrubias hall of Havana's National Theater.
The presentation was the preface to the 10th Festival of Chinese Culture held in Cuba on 17th and 18th July at the ExpoCuba exhibition centre to mark the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
The Chinese artists blew the Cuban audience away (and the audience of foreigners enjoying Cuba holidays and joining in the folklore too) with their virtuous performance of instruments that are up to 2,000 years old and are part of the culture of the 56 ethnic groups that make up the Asian nation.
One of the highlights of the act was Jin Renbo's interpretation of the Sheng, an ancient wind instrument that produces surprising warbling sounds, which are not familiar to the western ear, yet proved fascinating to the attendees who were lulled by the beautifully rare melodies. The harmonious moment of music and silence was only broken as the audience vigorously clapped at the end.
Those on Cuba holidays also got to enjoy the unique performance of Zhang Lei, with his Erhu, a sort of Chinese two-string violin, and the young woman Huang Mei, who plays the Zheng, a kind of 21-string harp played horizontally on the floor. Both acts also received an enthusiastic ovation from the audience.
Barely 15 years old, Wang Xiao played the flute like a true experienced maestro on a par with his colleagues all of whom graduated from prestigious Chinese academies.
Also present in the theatre were China's ambassador to Cuba Liu Yuqin and other members of the diplomatic mission in Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...