Those on Cuba holidays enjoyed a Chinese Fest like no other
Those attending the Chinese-Cuban festival in Havana held recently on the island's capital from 17th to 18th July got to witness a unique show at the hands of a folkloric orchestra group from Shenzhen, as well as a range of Chinese-inspired exhibitions.
For the delight of many tourists on Cuba holidays attending the unique Chinese-Cuban festival in Havana they got to witness and enjoy a unique show at the hands of The Folkloric Music Group of the Traditional Orchestra of Aihua de Shenzhen, a group of magnificent performers who came to the island for the special occasion. The group of musicians and acrobats made a masterly performance on Thursday at the Covarrubias hall of Havana's National Theater.
The presentation was the preface to the 10th Festival of Chinese Culture held in Cuba on 17th and 18th July at the ExpoCuba exhibition centre to mark the 50th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
The Chinese artists blew the Cuban audience away (and the audience of foreigners enjoying Cuba holidays and joining in the folklore too) with their virtuous performance of instruments that are up to 2,000 years old and are part of the culture of the 56 ethnic groups that make up the Asian nation.
One of the highlights of the act was Jin Renbo's interpretation of the Sheng, an ancient wind instrument that produces surprising warbling sounds, which are not familiar to the western ear, yet proved fascinating to the attendees who were lulled by the beautifully rare melodies. The harmonious moment of music and silence was only broken as the audience vigorously clapped at the end.
Those on Cuba holidays also got to enjoy the unique performance of Zhang Lei, with his Erhu, a sort of Chinese two-string violin, and the young woman Huang Mei, who plays the Zheng, a kind of 21-string harp played horizontally on the floor. Both acts also received an enthusiastic ovation from the audience.
Barely 15 years old, Wang Xiao played the flute like a true experienced maestro on a par with his colleagues all of whom graduated from prestigious Chinese academies.
Also present in the theatre were China's ambassador to Cuba Liu Yuqin and other members of the diplomatic mission in Havana.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...