"Mixed" results for Barbados holidays and the island's tourism industry
Even when the country has been doing well in terms of the large inflow of visitors it has received from Canada and the U.S, the declining number of British travellers choosing this destination is a worrying sign of alert for Barbados' tourism authorities.
Whilst Barbados holidays might not be exactly suffering the effects of the current global financial climate the island is not exactly sailing through the tourism world adversities either as results revealing the number of visitors who had taken trips to the island during the first quarter of 2010 fluctuated according to where the tourists came from. As a result, the Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy described as "mixed" the Island tourism results for the first five months of 2010.
Sealy said to the annual Caribbean Tourism Organization’s week in New York that the ups and downs in 2010's first five months could be seen as successful and particularly beneficial to the Barbados holidays industry when it came to the skyrocketing arrivals from Canada and the United States but devastating and worrying when it came to a slide in the number of tourists from the United Kingdom.
He also expressed his concern about the overall decline in spending by tourists, who are being more pocket tight when it came to splashing the cash during their Barbados holidays. In addition to this, on a lighter, more positive note the minister also added that he became excited over the introduction of a weekly air service out of Brazil, one that would open up that country’s growing market and raise the possibility of tourists coming from elsewhere in South America – Argentina, for example – they are keeping an eye on developments in the European Union, especially Greece, which in Sealy’s words could “easily pull the entire world’s” economy and financial health “right back down again”.
“We are holding to our projection for growth this year,” he said. Whether the number of UK travellers could continue sliding downwards or not is yet to see but one thing is for certain, the country will do all it can to spruce up its appeal so that British holidaymakers can take interest in Barbados holidays once again.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...