Economic Crisis responsible for fewer Europeans taking Cuba holidays
Cuba has experienced a 6% decline in arrivals from Europe during the first quarter of 2010, a release from a official government office of statistics (ONE)revealed. More worryingly the top visiting countries, Britain and Spain also decreased by 10%.
During last year Cuba holidays have been experiencing a decline in the number of travellers arriving from the European continent as revealed during a recent report published by the island. The Cuban National Statistics Office (ONE) said in the report that European economic crisis has affected Cuba's tourism sector with fewer European holidaymakers taking Cuba holidays and causing a decrease of tourist arrivals from Europe by 4-10 % in the first quarter of the year.
The Office was also quick to add that the number of British and Spanish visitors fell by 10 percent, followed by the number of Italian, French and German visitors by 6 percent, 5.5 percent and 4 percent respectively. The British and Spanish fall is one of the more significant since these two countries are one of the top countries which bring travellers to Cuba holidays, in the second and third position, only behind Canada in the first place.
However Canada, Cuba's largest source of tourists, also registered a 1.8 percent drop in tourist arrivals during the same period. Canada contributed 2.4 million visitors to the Cuban tourism industry in 2009.
ONE said the Cuban Tourism industry tried to compensate for this negative effect by opening up new markets abroad, the office said in its latest report.
Visitors from Russia and China have joined returning overseas Cubans to boost up by 1.2 % the total tourist arrival in the first five months of this year and the island is currently looking at more ways to boost Cuba holidays in other new markets abroad to wake interest among other foreign travellers with less knowledge about the island as one of the most fascination holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...