Economic Crisis responsible for fewer Europeans taking Cuba holidays
Cuba has experienced a 6% decline in arrivals from Europe during the first quarter of 2010, a release from a official government office of statistics (ONE)revealed. More worryingly the top visiting countries, Britain and Spain also decreased by 10%.
During last year Cuba holidays have been experiencing a decline in the number of travellers arriving from the European continent as revealed during a recent report published by the island. The Cuban National Statistics Office (ONE) said in the report that European economic crisis has affected Cuba's tourism sector with fewer European holidaymakers taking Cuba holidays and causing a decrease of tourist arrivals from Europe by 4-10 % in the first quarter of the year.
The Office was also quick to add that the number of British and Spanish visitors fell by 10 percent, followed by the number of Italian, French and German visitors by 6 percent, 5.5 percent and 4 percent respectively. The British and Spanish fall is one of the more significant since these two countries are one of the top countries which bring travellers to Cuba holidays, in the second and third position, only behind Canada in the first place.
However Canada, Cuba's largest source of tourists, also registered a 1.8 percent drop in tourist arrivals during the same period. Canada contributed 2.4 million visitors to the Cuban tourism industry in 2009.
ONE said the Cuban Tourism industry tried to compensate for this negative effect by opening up new markets abroad, the office said in its latest report.
Visitors from Russia and China have joined returning overseas Cubans to boost up by 1.2 % the total tourist arrival in the first five months of this year and the island is currently looking at more ways to boost Cuba holidays in other new markets abroad to wake interest among other foreign travellers with less knowledge about the island as one of the most fascination holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...