Economic Crisis responsible for fewer Europeans taking Cuba holidays
Cuba has experienced a 6% decline in arrivals from Europe during the first quarter of 2010, a release from a official government office of statistics (ONE)revealed. More worryingly the top visiting countries, Britain and Spain also decreased by 10%.
During last year Cuba holidays have been experiencing a decline in the number of travellers arriving from the European continent as revealed during a recent report published by the island. The Cuban National Statistics Office (ONE) said in the report that European economic crisis has affected Cuba's tourism sector with fewer European holidaymakers taking Cuba holidays and causing a decrease of tourist arrivals from Europe by 4-10 % in the first quarter of the year.
The Office was also quick to add that the number of British and Spanish visitors fell by 10 percent, followed by the number of Italian, French and German visitors by 6 percent, 5.5 percent and 4 percent respectively. The British and Spanish fall is one of the more significant since these two countries are one of the top countries which bring travellers to Cuba holidays, in the second and third position, only behind Canada in the first place.
However Canada, Cuba's largest source of tourists, also registered a 1.8 percent drop in tourist arrivals during the same period. Canada contributed 2.4 million visitors to the Cuban tourism industry in 2009.
ONE said the Cuban Tourism industry tried to compensate for this negative effect by opening up new markets abroad, the office said in its latest report.
Visitors from Russia and China have joined returning overseas Cubans to boost up by 1.2 % the total tourist arrival in the first five months of this year and the island is currently looking at more ways to boost Cuba holidays in other new markets abroad to wake interest among other foreign travellers with less knowledge about the island as one of the most fascination holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...