Economic Crisis responsible for fewer Europeans taking Cuba holidays
Cuba has experienced a 6% decline in arrivals from Europe during the first quarter of 2010, a release from a official government office of statistics (ONE)revealed. More worryingly the top visiting countries, Britain and Spain also decreased by 10%.
During last year Cuba holidays have been experiencing a decline in the number of travellers arriving from the European continent as revealed during a recent report published by the island. The Cuban National Statistics Office (ONE) said in the report that European economic crisis has affected Cuba's tourism sector with fewer European holidaymakers taking Cuba holidays and causing a decrease of tourist arrivals from Europe by 4-10 % in the first quarter of the year.
The Office was also quick to add that the number of British and Spanish visitors fell by 10 percent, followed by the number of Italian, French and German visitors by 6 percent, 5.5 percent and 4 percent respectively. The British and Spanish fall is one of the more significant since these two countries are one of the top countries which bring travellers to Cuba holidays, in the second and third position, only behind Canada in the first place.
However Canada, Cuba's largest source of tourists, also registered a 1.8 percent drop in tourist arrivals during the same period. Canada contributed 2.4 million visitors to the Cuban tourism industry in 2009.
ONE said the Cuban Tourism industry tried to compensate for this negative effect by opening up new markets abroad, the office said in its latest report.
Visitors from Russia and China have joined returning overseas Cubans to boost up by 1.2 % the total tourist arrival in the first five months of this year and the island is currently looking at more ways to boost Cuba holidays in other new markets abroad to wake interest among other foreign travellers with less knowledge about the island as one of the most fascination holiday destinations in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...