Caribbean holidays on watch as tropical wave moves over the Caribbean
Still being closely observed and monitored the latest tropical wave to be hovering over the Caribbean still poses no significant danger other than cloudy skies and the occasional shower but there's a chance it could evolve into a tropical depression.
Bringing only minimal disruption to Cuba holidyas and Caribbean holidays in general; a tropical wave that has been hovering over the western Caribbean Sea continues to bring showers and storms to parts of Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba, the Cayman Islands and adjacent waters of the western Caribbean.
There appears to be a bit more low level circulation, but most of the rain is still on the eastern side of this system.
The conditions over the next few days will be conducive for development of this system. Upper level winds will be light and there is plenty of warm water ahead in this system's path.
This tropical wave will continue to move west-northwestward around 10 mph for the next couple of days.
Meteorological experts say that the wave could become a tropical storm by Friday or Saturday.
All weather models project the system will cross Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula over the next few days. After that, most forecasts still expect the wave to turn northwest and hit the coast near the Texas-Mexico border.
But some models now expect the wave to turn northeast toward Florida and the eastern Gulf of Mexico close to where BP Plc is trying to clean up its massive oil spill.
The NHC projected the wave, centered between the eastern tip of Honduras and Jamaica, has a high or 60 percent chance of developing over the next day or so, up from 40 percent in a forecast earlier on Thursday.
Specifically, NHC said "upper-level winds are gradually becoming more conducive for development and the system could become a tropical depression before it reaches the Yucatan peninsula in a couple of days."
"The high pressure system that has been sending us the easterly winds will also help to protect us from this system, keeping it west of the Florida."
There is about a 40% chance of this system becoming a tropical depression within the next 48 hours. Further development is expected in the coming days.
The exact path through the Gulf of Mexico is still the big question on many people's minds. It all depends on the strength of the high pressure system.
If that high stays strong, the storm could continue more westward toward the Bay of Campeche.
If the high is a little weaker the storm could go toward the northern Gulf coast. Anywhere in between those locations is a possibility.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...