Caribbean holidays on watch as tropical wave moves over the Caribbean
Still being closely observed and monitored the latest tropical wave to be hovering over the Caribbean still poses no significant danger other than cloudy skies and the occasional shower but there's a chance it could evolve into a tropical depression.
Bringing only minimal disruption to Cuba holidyas and Caribbean holidays in general; a tropical wave that has been hovering over the western Caribbean Sea continues to bring showers and storms to parts of Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba, the Cayman Islands and adjacent waters of the western Caribbean.
There appears to be a bit more low level circulation, but most of the rain is still on the eastern side of this system.
The conditions over the next few days will be conducive for development of this system. Upper level winds will be light and there is plenty of warm water ahead in this system's path.
This tropical wave will continue to move west-northwestward around 10 mph for the next couple of days.
Meteorological experts say that the wave could become a tropical storm by Friday or Saturday.
All weather models project the system will cross Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula over the next few days. After that, most forecasts still expect the wave to turn northwest and hit the coast near the Texas-Mexico border.
But some models now expect the wave to turn northeast toward Florida and the eastern Gulf of Mexico close to where BP Plc is trying to clean up its massive oil spill.
The NHC projected the wave, centered between the eastern tip of Honduras and Jamaica, has a high or 60 percent chance of developing over the next day or so, up from 40 percent in a forecast earlier on Thursday.
Specifically, NHC said "upper-level winds are gradually becoming more conducive for development and the system could become a tropical depression before it reaches the Yucatan peninsula in a couple of days."
"The high pressure system that has been sending us the easterly winds will also help to protect us from this system, keeping it west of the Florida."
There is about a 40% chance of this system becoming a tropical depression within the next 48 hours. Further development is expected in the coming days.
The exact path through the Gulf of Mexico is still the big question on many people's minds. It all depends on the strength of the high pressure system.
If that high stays strong, the storm could continue more westward toward the Bay of Campeche.
If the high is a little weaker the storm could go toward the northern Gulf coast. Anywhere in between those locations is a possibility.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...