CARICOM Hosts Media Clinic to Discuss Future of Caribbean Holidays Ahead of Heads Meeting in Jamaica Next Month
CARICOM Heads of Government will be meeting in Montego Bay next month to discuss the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean tourism and travel sector, climate change and Haiti, according to the Secretary General.
Speaking at a media clinic last Tuesday held by the CARICOM Secretariat, Dr Edwin Carrington. Secretary General of CARICOM said that the Heads of Government will be meeting next month to discuss climates change, the global economy, Haiti, and future of the Caribbean travel and tourism sector.
Carrington said at the media clinic held at the University of the West Indies’ Distant Education Centre in Mona: "Many may not remember that it was in Montego Bay in 1947, that a number of prominent figures of the then British Caribbean colonies gathered to discuss closer association, laying the groundwork for regional togetherness and bringing us to where we are today - a single market aiming to become a single economy,"
The Thirty First Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is scheduled to take place in Montego Bay from 4 – 7 July 2010 at the Rose Hall resort and Spa.
The Prime Minister of Jamaica, Bruce Golding, is expected to take over the chairmanship of CARICOM at this year’s meeting and topics and discussions on the agenda include regional trade, the rebuilding process of Haiti, and opportunities to help boost tourism numbers and encourage more travellers to take Caribbean holidays.
The meeting is also an opportunity for the CARICOM Heads to prepare for the meeting on Climate Change which is scheduled for November 2011.
"It is timely, therefore, that as a community we look at where we are in this contemporary world, and seek means to confront the challenges and seize the opportunities to guide us towards a viable, prosperous and secure Community for all, especially our Youth," Carrington concluded.
The number of travellers booking holidays in the Caribbean has steadily been rising after the global recession as travellers’ consumer habits change. However, due to the recent gun-fire attacks in Jamaica, the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays is declining as many flights are avoiding landing after dark and travellers are concerned about travelling through Kingston suburbs to get to their resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...