CARICOM Hosts Media Clinic to Discuss Future of Caribbean Holidays Ahead of Heads Meeting in Jamaica Next Month
CARICOM Heads of Government will be meeting in Montego Bay next month to discuss the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean tourism and travel sector, climate change and Haiti, according to the Secretary General.
Speaking at a media clinic last Tuesday held by the CARICOM Secretariat, Dr Edwin Carrington. Secretary General of CARICOM said that the Heads of Government will be meeting next month to discuss climates change, the global economy, Haiti, and future of the Caribbean travel and tourism sector.
Carrington said at the media clinic held at the University of the West Indies’ Distant Education Centre in Mona: "Many may not remember that it was in Montego Bay in 1947, that a number of prominent figures of the then British Caribbean colonies gathered to discuss closer association, laying the groundwork for regional togetherness and bringing us to where we are today - a single market aiming to become a single economy,"
The Thirty First Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is scheduled to take place in Montego Bay from 4 – 7 July 2010 at the Rose Hall resort and Spa.
The Prime Minister of Jamaica, Bruce Golding, is expected to take over the chairmanship of CARICOM at this year’s meeting and topics and discussions on the agenda include regional trade, the rebuilding process of Haiti, and opportunities to help boost tourism numbers and encourage more travellers to take Caribbean holidays.
The meeting is also an opportunity for the CARICOM Heads to prepare for the meeting on Climate Change which is scheduled for November 2011.
"It is timely, therefore, that as a community we look at where we are in this contemporary world, and seek means to confront the challenges and seize the opportunities to guide us towards a viable, prosperous and secure Community for all, especially our Youth," Carrington concluded.
The number of travellers booking holidays in the Caribbean has steadily been rising after the global recession as travellers’ consumer habits change. However, due to the recent gun-fire attacks in Jamaica, the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays is declining as many flights are avoiding landing after dark and travellers are concerned about travelling through Kingston suburbs to get to their resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...