CARICOM Hosts Media Clinic to Discuss Future of Caribbean Holidays Ahead of Heads Meeting in Jamaica Next Month
CARICOM Heads of Government will be meeting in Montego Bay next month to discuss the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean tourism and travel sector, climate change and Haiti, according to the Secretary General.
Speaking at a media clinic last Tuesday held by the CARICOM Secretariat, Dr Edwin Carrington. Secretary General of CARICOM said that the Heads of Government will be meeting next month to discuss climates change, the global economy, Haiti, and future of the Caribbean travel and tourism sector.
Carrington said at the media clinic held at the University of the West Indies’ Distant Education Centre in Mona: "Many may not remember that it was in Montego Bay in 1947, that a number of prominent figures of the then British Caribbean colonies gathered to discuss closer association, laying the groundwork for regional togetherness and bringing us to where we are today - a single market aiming to become a single economy,"
The Thirty First Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is scheduled to take place in Montego Bay from 4 – 7 July 2010 at the Rose Hall resort and Spa.
The Prime Minister of Jamaica, Bruce Golding, is expected to take over the chairmanship of CARICOM at this year’s meeting and topics and discussions on the agenda include regional trade, the rebuilding process of Haiti, and opportunities to help boost tourism numbers and encourage more travellers to take Caribbean holidays.
The meeting is also an opportunity for the CARICOM Heads to prepare for the meeting on Climate Change which is scheduled for November 2011.
"It is timely, therefore, that as a community we look at where we are in this contemporary world, and seek means to confront the challenges and seize the opportunities to guide us towards a viable, prosperous and secure Community for all, especially our Youth," Carrington concluded.
The number of travellers booking holidays in the Caribbean has steadily been rising after the global recession as travellers’ consumer habits change. However, due to the recent gun-fire attacks in Jamaica, the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays is declining as many flights are avoiding landing after dark and travellers are concerned about travelling through Kingston suburbs to get to their resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...