CARICOM Hosts Media Clinic to Discuss Future of Caribbean Holidays Ahead of Heads Meeting in Jamaica Next Month
CARICOM Heads of Government will be meeting in Montego Bay next month to discuss the future of Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean tourism and travel sector, climate change and Haiti, according to the Secretary General.
Speaking at a media clinic last Tuesday held by the CARICOM Secretariat, Dr Edwin Carrington. Secretary General of CARICOM said that the Heads of Government will be meeting next month to discuss climates change, the global economy, Haiti, and future of the Caribbean travel and tourism sector.
Carrington said at the media clinic held at the University of the West Indies’ Distant Education Centre in Mona: "Many may not remember that it was in Montego Bay in 1947, that a number of prominent figures of the then British Caribbean colonies gathered to discuss closer association, laying the groundwork for regional togetherness and bringing us to where we are today - a single market aiming to become a single economy,"
The Thirty First Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) is scheduled to take place in Montego Bay from 4 – 7 July 2010 at the Rose Hall resort and Spa.
The Prime Minister of Jamaica, Bruce Golding, is expected to take over the chairmanship of CARICOM at this year’s meeting and topics and discussions on the agenda include regional trade, the rebuilding process of Haiti, and opportunities to help boost tourism numbers and encourage more travellers to take Caribbean holidays.
The meeting is also an opportunity for the CARICOM Heads to prepare for the meeting on Climate Change which is scheduled for November 2011.
"It is timely, therefore, that as a community we look at where we are in this contemporary world, and seek means to confront the challenges and seize the opportunities to guide us towards a viable, prosperous and secure Community for all, especially our Youth," Carrington concluded.
The number of travellers booking holidays in the Caribbean has steadily been rising after the global recession as travellers’ consumer habits change. However, due to the recent gun-fire attacks in Jamaica, the number of travellers taking Jamaica holidays is declining as many flights are avoiding landing after dark and travellers are concerned about travelling through Kingston suburbs to get to their resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Enjoy a fantastic Resort View to Garden View
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...