Tourism Minister in London for Promotional Blitz of Jamaica holidays
Trying to restore confidence among travellers after the violent incidents in Kingston, Jamaica's Tourism Minister has flown down to London in a bid to reassure UK holidaymakers that Jamaica holidays are still a safe Caribbean destination.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, is in London for a one-week series of meetings, visits and press events, as part of a $10 million tourism promotional blitz, aimed at preventing any loss in revenue to the sector as a result of the recent activities in Western Kingston.
In an interview with the JIS News London on Sunday, Bartlett said the programme was aimed at restoring trust and confidence in the destination and boosting the appeal of Jamaica holidays.
"Following on the incident in Kingston, we have received a lot of negative publicity affecting, somewhat, the attitude and response of the tourism market. The programme we are on is to try to reposition the brand, and restore the confidence and the trust," he said.
He noted that the Jamaican Diaspora has an important role to play in this process. "We put a lot of value on the Diaspora discussions. They are very essential to the destination; they are essential in showing the market that Jamaica is a safe destination, and that choice is informed by the attitude of the Diaspora," he stated.
The Minister noted further that overseas nationals are a critical part of the tourism market, making up 10 % of total visitor arrivals, and are the best marketers and the greatest ambassadors for Jamaica.
However, he voiced concern that some sections of the Diaspora were misinformed about the activities in West Kingston.
"It was the state's response to dealing with criminal activity and to deal with it in a divisive way. What may have started as a part of an extradition exercise has morphed into a national programme to create a game changer in the way in which the country operates and the role the state is playing in wiping out deviant behaviour, particularly gunmanship and drugs and crime," Bartlett pointed out.
While in the UK, the Tourism Minister will be meeting with a number of British government officials, as well as representatives of the British Caribbean All Parliamentary Group, the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), and the British Air Transport Association.
He will also be doing a series of media interviews including with the BBC World Service, Sky News, The Independent and Guardian newspapers, and a number of ethnic media houses.
In addition to the UK, the Minister and tourism officials will also be visiting the United States and Canada.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...