Tourism Minister in London for Promotional Blitz of Jamaica holidays
Trying to restore confidence among travellers after the violent incidents in Kingston, Jamaica's Tourism Minister has flown down to London in a bid to reassure UK holidaymakers that Jamaica holidays are still a safe Caribbean destination.
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, is in London for a one-week series of meetings, visits and press events, as part of a $10 million tourism promotional blitz, aimed at preventing any loss in revenue to the sector as a result of the recent activities in Western Kingston.
In an interview with the JIS News London on Sunday, Bartlett said the programme was aimed at restoring trust and confidence in the destination and boosting the appeal of Jamaica holidays.
"Following on the incident in Kingston, we have received a lot of negative publicity affecting, somewhat, the attitude and response of the tourism market. The programme we are on is to try to reposition the brand, and restore the confidence and the trust," he said.
He noted that the Jamaican Diaspora has an important role to play in this process. "We put a lot of value on the Diaspora discussions. They are very essential to the destination; they are essential in showing the market that Jamaica is a safe destination, and that choice is informed by the attitude of the Diaspora," he stated.
The Minister noted further that overseas nationals are a critical part of the tourism market, making up 10 % of total visitor arrivals, and are the best marketers and the greatest ambassadors for Jamaica.
However, he voiced concern that some sections of the Diaspora were misinformed about the activities in West Kingston.
"It was the state's response to dealing with criminal activity and to deal with it in a divisive way. What may have started as a part of an extradition exercise has morphed into a national programme to create a game changer in the way in which the country operates and the role the state is playing in wiping out deviant behaviour, particularly gunmanship and drugs and crime," Bartlett pointed out.
While in the UK, the Tourism Minister will be meeting with a number of British government officials, as well as representatives of the British Caribbean All Parliamentary Group, the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO), and the British Air Transport Association.
He will also be doing a series of media interviews including with the BBC World Service, Sky News, The Independent and Guardian newspapers, and a number of ethnic media houses.
In addition to the UK, the Minister and tourism officials will also be visiting the United States and Canada.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy a blissful escape to this amazing five star hotel offering endless privileges steps from the Caribbean Sea
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Stay at the unique beach front Zoetry Montego Bay with Endless Privileges
- If you wish to get out and about from the resort then there is a complimentary shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping Arcade
- All Suites include dedicated butler service. This personalized service is at no extra cost
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...