Moderate recovery for Antigua holidays and St Lucia holidays with increase of tourist arrivals
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States has registered a moderate recovery in the number of tourist arrivals to the Caribbean islands of St Lucia and Antigua & Barbuda as both destinations grew 3.3% over the first quarter of 2010.
Moderated recovery has been registered for St Lucia holidays as well as holidays to Antigua and Barbuda, the recovery in the number of tourist arrivals recorded by the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) proves the increasin popularity of these destinations for Caribbean holidays during the first quarter of 2010. This announcement came after the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) released 2010's first quarterly figures.
In an overview of the regional industry, the CTO said sub-region tourist arrivals grew by 3.3% over the period, signalling a major turnaround from this time last year. These figures point to a significant recovery since Caribbean holidays in the OECS region were the hardest hit in the Cariibean in 2009, when arrivals dropped by a significant 12.3%.
This sub-region’s recovery this year forms part of a wider trend as tourist arrivals in the wider Caribbean region continuex to rebound.
The greater region’s aggregate tourist arrivals, as gauged by recorded arrivals from 23 of the 33 CTO member countries, increased by 4.5% so far in 2010.
The positive figures were buoyed by a resurge in the US market that grew by 6.5% in the first four months of the year. Those figures compare favourably with those from Canada which only managed a 1 % increase despite remaining robust throughout 2009 when the crisis was at its worst.
CTO said European markets are doing “very poorly,” as their economies continue to reel under the pressure of the monetary and financial crisis brought about by the global economic depression, aggravated by the Icelandic volcanic ash and industrial unrest in the major UK airline industry.
“Arrivals declined 4.3 per cent for Europe as a whole. This situation is not expected to ease up in the coming summer as unemployment in these economies remains high and consumer confidence is low.”
“The Euro is also almost 25 per cent lower in value vis-à-vis the US dollar when the present rates are compared with those during this period two years ago,“ - CTO said.
Meanwhile, regional cruise tourism arrivals grew 4.5 per cent with further increases expected. CTO reports also noted that there are signs of a recovery in visitor spending, although at a slower rate than arrivals.
In looking at the overall picture, CTO sounded an upbeat note on one hand, pointing to signs of rapid recovery following double digit declines in the heat of the crisis last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...