Moderate recovery for Antigua holidays and St Lucia holidays with increase of tourist arrivals
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States has registered a moderate recovery in the number of tourist arrivals to the Caribbean islands of St Lucia and Antigua & Barbuda as both destinations grew 3.3% over the first quarter of 2010.
Moderated recovery has been registered for St Lucia holidays as well as holidays to Antigua and Barbuda, the recovery in the number of tourist arrivals recorded by the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) proves the increasin popularity of these destinations for Caribbean holidays during the first quarter of 2010. This announcement came after the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) released 2010's first quarterly figures.
In an overview of the regional industry, the CTO said sub-region tourist arrivals grew by 3.3% over the period, signalling a major turnaround from this time last year. These figures point to a significant recovery since Caribbean holidays in the OECS region were the hardest hit in the Cariibean in 2009, when arrivals dropped by a significant 12.3%.
This sub-region’s recovery this year forms part of a wider trend as tourist arrivals in the wider Caribbean region continuex to rebound.
The greater region’s aggregate tourist arrivals, as gauged by recorded arrivals from 23 of the 33 CTO member countries, increased by 4.5% so far in 2010.
The positive figures were buoyed by a resurge in the US market that grew by 6.5% in the first four months of the year. Those figures compare favourably with those from Canada which only managed a 1 % increase despite remaining robust throughout 2009 when the crisis was at its worst.
CTO said European markets are doing “very poorly,” as their economies continue to reel under the pressure of the monetary and financial crisis brought about by the global economic depression, aggravated by the Icelandic volcanic ash and industrial unrest in the major UK airline industry.
“Arrivals declined 4.3 per cent for Europe as a whole. This situation is not expected to ease up in the coming summer as unemployment in these economies remains high and consumer confidence is low.”
“The Euro is also almost 25 per cent lower in value vis-à-vis the US dollar when the present rates are compared with those during this period two years ago,“ - CTO said.
Meanwhile, regional cruise tourism arrivals grew 4.5 per cent with further increases expected. CTO reports also noted that there are signs of a recovery in visitor spending, although at a slower rate than arrivals.
In looking at the overall picture, CTO sounded an upbeat note on one hand, pointing to signs of rapid recovery following double digit declines in the heat of the crisis last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...