Moderate recovery for Antigua holidays and St Lucia holidays with increase of tourist arrivals
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States has registered a moderate recovery in the number of tourist arrivals to the Caribbean islands of St Lucia and Antigua & Barbuda as both destinations grew 3.3% over the first quarter of 2010.
Moderated recovery has been registered for St Lucia holidays as well as holidays to Antigua and Barbuda, the recovery in the number of tourist arrivals recorded by the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) proves the increasin popularity of these destinations for Caribbean holidays during the first quarter of 2010. This announcement came after the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) released 2010's first quarterly figures.
In an overview of the regional industry, the CTO said sub-region tourist arrivals grew by 3.3% over the period, signalling a major turnaround from this time last year. These figures point to a significant recovery since Caribbean holidays in the OECS region were the hardest hit in the Cariibean in 2009, when arrivals dropped by a significant 12.3%.
This sub-region’s recovery this year forms part of a wider trend as tourist arrivals in the wider Caribbean region continuex to rebound.
The greater region’s aggregate tourist arrivals, as gauged by recorded arrivals from 23 of the 33 CTO member countries, increased by 4.5% so far in 2010.
The positive figures were buoyed by a resurge in the US market that grew by 6.5% in the first four months of the year. Those figures compare favourably with those from Canada which only managed a 1 % increase despite remaining robust throughout 2009 when the crisis was at its worst.
CTO said European markets are doing “very poorly,” as their economies continue to reel under the pressure of the monetary and financial crisis brought about by the global economic depression, aggravated by the Icelandic volcanic ash and industrial unrest in the major UK airline industry.
“Arrivals declined 4.3 per cent for Europe as a whole. This situation is not expected to ease up in the coming summer as unemployment in these economies remains high and consumer confidence is low.”
“The Euro is also almost 25 per cent lower in value vis-à-vis the US dollar when the present rates are compared with those during this period two years ago,“ - CTO said.
Meanwhile, regional cruise tourism arrivals grew 4.5 per cent with further increases expected. CTO reports also noted that there are signs of a recovery in visitor spending, although at a slower rate than arrivals.
In looking at the overall picture, CTO sounded an upbeat note on one hand, pointing to signs of rapid recovery following double digit declines in the heat of the crisis last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...