Moderate recovery for Antigua holidays and St Lucia holidays with increase of tourist arrivals
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States has registered a moderate recovery in the number of tourist arrivals to the Caribbean islands of St Lucia and Antigua & Barbuda as both destinations grew 3.3% over the first quarter of 2010.
Moderated recovery has been registered for St Lucia holidays as well as holidays to Antigua and Barbuda, the recovery in the number of tourist arrivals recorded by the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) proves the increasin popularity of these destinations for Caribbean holidays during the first quarter of 2010. This announcement came after the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) released 2010's first quarterly figures.
In an overview of the regional industry, the CTO said sub-region tourist arrivals grew by 3.3% over the period, signalling a major turnaround from this time last year. These figures point to a significant recovery since Caribbean holidays in the OECS region were the hardest hit in the Cariibean in 2009, when arrivals dropped by a significant 12.3%.
This sub-region’s recovery this year forms part of a wider trend as tourist arrivals in the wider Caribbean region continuex to rebound.
The greater region’s aggregate tourist arrivals, as gauged by recorded arrivals from 23 of the 33 CTO member countries, increased by 4.5% so far in 2010.
The positive figures were buoyed by a resurge in the US market that grew by 6.5% in the first four months of the year. Those figures compare favourably with those from Canada which only managed a 1 % increase despite remaining robust throughout 2009 when the crisis was at its worst.
CTO said European markets are doing “very poorly,” as their economies continue to reel under the pressure of the monetary and financial crisis brought about by the global economic depression, aggravated by the Icelandic volcanic ash and industrial unrest in the major UK airline industry.
“Arrivals declined 4.3 per cent for Europe as a whole. This situation is not expected to ease up in the coming summer as unemployment in these economies remains high and consumer confidence is low.”
“The Euro is also almost 25 per cent lower in value vis-à-vis the US dollar when the present rates are compared with those during this period two years ago,“ - CTO said.
Meanwhile, regional cruise tourism arrivals grew 4.5 per cent with further increases expected. CTO reports also noted that there are signs of a recovery in visitor spending, although at a slower rate than arrivals.
In looking at the overall picture, CTO sounded an upbeat note on one hand, pointing to signs of rapid recovery following double digit declines in the heat of the crisis last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...