Moderate recovery for Antigua holidays and St Lucia holidays with increase of tourist arrivals
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States has registered a moderate recovery in the number of tourist arrivals to the Caribbean islands of St Lucia and Antigua & Barbuda as both destinations grew 3.3% over the first quarter of 2010.
Moderated recovery has been registered for St Lucia holidays as well as holidays to Antigua and Barbuda, the recovery in the number of tourist arrivals recorded by the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) proves the increasin popularity of these destinations for Caribbean holidays during the first quarter of 2010. This announcement came after the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) released 2010's first quarterly figures.
In an overview of the regional industry, the CTO said sub-region tourist arrivals grew by 3.3% over the period, signalling a major turnaround from this time last year. These figures point to a significant recovery since Caribbean holidays in the OECS region were the hardest hit in the Cariibean in 2009, when arrivals dropped by a significant 12.3%.
This sub-region’s recovery this year forms part of a wider trend as tourist arrivals in the wider Caribbean region continuex to rebound.
The greater region’s aggregate tourist arrivals, as gauged by recorded arrivals from 23 of the 33 CTO member countries, increased by 4.5% so far in 2010.
The positive figures were buoyed by a resurge in the US market that grew by 6.5% in the first four months of the year. Those figures compare favourably with those from Canada which only managed a 1 % increase despite remaining robust throughout 2009 when the crisis was at its worst.
CTO said European markets are doing “very poorly,” as their economies continue to reel under the pressure of the monetary and financial crisis brought about by the global economic depression, aggravated by the Icelandic volcanic ash and industrial unrest in the major UK airline industry.
“Arrivals declined 4.3 per cent for Europe as a whole. This situation is not expected to ease up in the coming summer as unemployment in these economies remains high and consumer confidence is low.”
“The Euro is also almost 25 per cent lower in value vis-à-vis the US dollar when the present rates are compared with those during this period two years ago,“ - CTO said.
Meanwhile, regional cruise tourism arrivals grew 4.5 per cent with further increases expected. CTO reports also noted that there are signs of a recovery in visitor spending, although at a slower rate than arrivals.
In looking at the overall picture, CTO sounded an upbeat note on one hand, pointing to signs of rapid recovery following double digit declines in the heat of the crisis last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- The location on Cancun's tranquil southern shore, provides the perfect rejuivinating base for exploring Cancun.
- The resort is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun.
- Enjoy the array of activities including surfing, golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...