China officially enters the Cuba holidays market as building of deluxe hotel begins
Anticipating the possible massive influx of American holidaymakers once they are able to travel to Cuba, China has partnered with Cuban tourism authorities to start the building of a luxury hotel in Havana. Construction is due to begin later this year.
While the U.S. continues to talk tourism for the ever closer prospect of Cuba holidays, Caribbean developers will break ground on Havana's first luxury hotel later this year, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported.
The luxe-hotel is a joint effort between Cuba and China that will cost approximately $117million. According to reports, the hotel complex will have 650 rooms and cover an area of about 19 acres in the "Marina Hemingway" tourist center in western Havana.
Cuba and China will begin the construction of a 117-million-dollar luxury hotel in Havana later this year.
The economic and trade advisor at the Chinese embassy in Cuba, Chen Feng, told the Opciones weekly that the investment will consist of 51 percent Chinese capital and 49 percent Cuban, setting a new landmark property in the luxury Cuba holidays market.
The diplomat added that, as part of celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of bilateral Cuban-Chinese relations, Havana will also host the 23rd Session of the Intergovernmental Commission for economic and trade relations later this year.
China is currently Cuba’s second commercial partner only behind Venezuela. Both countries currently have 13 mixed projects under way, seven of them on the island in the sectors of light and mechanical industry, communications, agricultural production and tourism.
As part of these increasing relations, the Gran Melia Shanghai hotel was inaugurated in Beijing last February. It was the result of an accord between its builders: the state-run Chinese firm Xintian (Suntime) and the Cuban firm Cubanacan. It is the first hotel in China to be managed by the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia.
But indeed, this isn't the first project Cuba and China are working on together - China is Cuba's second-largest trading partner, so it's no surprise the two friends have joined together to create a luxury hotel for tourists, and seeing Cuba holidays are looking more attractive than ever it's no suprise China wants to get a slice of the pie.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...