China officially enters the Cuba holidays market as building of deluxe hotel begins
Anticipating the possible massive influx of American holidaymakers once they are able to travel to Cuba, China has partnered with Cuban tourism authorities to start the building of a luxury hotel in Havana. Construction is due to begin later this year.
While the U.S. continues to talk tourism for the ever closer prospect of Cuba holidays, Caribbean developers will break ground on Havana's first luxury hotel later this year, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported.
The luxe-hotel is a joint effort between Cuba and China that will cost approximately $117million. According to reports, the hotel complex will have 650 rooms and cover an area of about 19 acres in the "Marina Hemingway" tourist center in western Havana.
Cuba and China will begin the construction of a 117-million-dollar luxury hotel in Havana later this year.
The economic and trade advisor at the Chinese embassy in Cuba, Chen Feng, told the Opciones weekly that the investment will consist of 51 percent Chinese capital and 49 percent Cuban, setting a new landmark property in the luxury Cuba holidays market.
The diplomat added that, as part of celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of bilateral Cuban-Chinese relations, Havana will also host the 23rd Session of the Intergovernmental Commission for economic and trade relations later this year.
China is currently Cuba’s second commercial partner only behind Venezuela. Both countries currently have 13 mixed projects under way, seven of them on the island in the sectors of light and mechanical industry, communications, agricultural production and tourism.
As part of these increasing relations, the Gran Melia Shanghai hotel was inaugurated in Beijing last February. It was the result of an accord between its builders: the state-run Chinese firm Xintian (Suntime) and the Cuban firm Cubanacan. It is the first hotel in China to be managed by the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia.
But indeed, this isn't the first project Cuba and China are working on together - China is Cuba's second-largest trading partner, so it's no surprise the two friends have joined together to create a luxury hotel for tourists, and seeing Cuba holidays are looking more attractive than ever it's no suprise China wants to get a slice of the pie.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...