China officially enters the Cuba holidays market as building of deluxe hotel begins
Anticipating the possible massive influx of American holidaymakers once they are able to travel to Cuba, China has partnered with Cuban tourism authorities to start the building of a luxury hotel in Havana. Construction is due to begin later this year.
While the U.S. continues to talk tourism for the ever closer prospect of Cuba holidays, Caribbean developers will break ground on Havana's first luxury hotel later this year, the Latin American Herald Tribune reported.
The luxe-hotel is a joint effort between Cuba and China that will cost approximately $117million. According to reports, the hotel complex will have 650 rooms and cover an area of about 19 acres in the "Marina Hemingway" tourist center in western Havana.
Cuba and China will begin the construction of a 117-million-dollar luxury hotel in Havana later this year.
The economic and trade advisor at the Chinese embassy in Cuba, Chen Feng, told the Opciones weekly that the investment will consist of 51 percent Chinese capital and 49 percent Cuban, setting a new landmark property in the luxury Cuba holidays market.
The diplomat added that, as part of celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of bilateral Cuban-Chinese relations, Havana will also host the 23rd Session of the Intergovernmental Commission for economic and trade relations later this year.
China is currently Cuba’s second commercial partner only behind Venezuela. Both countries currently have 13 mixed projects under way, seven of them on the island in the sectors of light and mechanical industry, communications, agricultural production and tourism.
As part of these increasing relations, the Gran Melia Shanghai hotel was inaugurated in Beijing last February. It was the result of an accord between its builders: the state-run Chinese firm Xintian (Suntime) and the Cuban firm Cubanacan. It is the first hotel in China to be managed by the Spanish hotel chain Sol Melia.
But indeed, this isn't the first project Cuba and China are working on together - China is Cuba's second-largest trading partner, so it's no surprise the two friends have joined together to create a luxury hotel for tourists, and seeing Cuba holidays are looking more attractive than ever it's no suprise China wants to get a slice of the pie.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...