Jamaica hotels reassuring travellers as more guests cancel their Jamaica holidays
Taking immediate action to alleviate the negative images Jamaica holidays have recently been sending out as a result of the civil unrest and street violence in the country's capital, the island's hotels are rushing to reassure tourists not to cancel trips
Jamaican hotels are rushing to add security measures to reassure tourists and encourage them to still take their Jamaica holidays as clashes in the capital Kingston have been causing visitors to cancel their trips. According to Wayne Cummings, the head of Jamaica’s Hotel and Tourism Association there have been 300 hotel room cancellations on the Caribbean island since Prime Minister Bruce Golding declared a state of emergency on 23rd May, 2010.
The violent acts have concentrated in the capital of Kingston, with no reports of unrest near the golf courses, beaches and resorts that most tourists visit during Jamaica holidays in the northern coast. The country has 30,000 hotel rooms, and tourism accounts for about 10% of gross domestic product and 50 % of foreign exchange earnings, according to the Jamaican Tourist Board.
In order to prevent further damage to the Jamaica holidays industry, the country will launch a “strong” marketing campaign to bolster its image after tourism visits dropped 2% in May from a year earlier amid the clashes, Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett said today in a telephone interview.
While Jamaica holidays received a good injection of visitors with visits rising 6.5 %in the first three months of the year to 586,000, Bartlett said. Tourism revenue totaled $2 billion last year.
The seven Jamaica hotels owned by Sandals Resorts International, the largest operator of all-inclusive hotels in the Caribbean, are unaffected by the Kingston violence, spokeswoman Rachel McLarty also revealed.
Coke is accused by the U.S. of leading an international criminal group known as the “Shower Posse,” with members in Jamaica and the U.S. He is charged with conspiracy to distribute marijuana and cocaine and conspiracy to illegally traffic in firearms, according to the office of the New York Attorney General. His lawyers have denied any wrongdoing by Coke.
U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Arturo Valenzuela told reporters in Washington that Jamaica is taking the right steps to extradite Coke and is “encouraged” by progress to date. The U.S. State Department on May 21 warned travelers that civil unrest in Kingston could block access to the international airport. Air Jamaica Ltd., the country’s largest carrier, closed an office in Kingston and canceled at least one flight today between the U.S. and Kingston.
Mark Williams, a spokesman for Kingston’s Norman Manley airport, said the airport is fully operational. Police have beefed up patrols along the roads from the airport into Kingston to protect travelers, he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
- The Holiday Place Offer - Stay for 7 nights and only pay for 6!
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...