Global hotel brands push plans to open luxury India hotels
A number of global hotel groups are pushing forward plans to open luxury India hotels as the region proves that it is a sought after destination with a shortage of guest rooms in existing hotels and the country's resilience of its economy.
Global hotel brands are planning to open luxury hotels in India as the region's economy proves its buoyancy and the need for additional hotel rooms becomes greater. The Amari Group of Thailand, Mövenpick Hotels and Resorts based in Zurich, Waldorf Astoria Hotels and Resorts, Luxe Worldwide Hotels, and the Canada-based luxury group Fairmont Raffles Hotels International are all planning on developing five-star luxury India hotels by entering the region for the first time or expanding their current portfolio.
According to a study carried out earlier this year by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry and Evalueserve, the country will need investments of Rs60,000 crore to meet the demand of 150,000 proposed guest rooms over the next five years.
Executive Director of a hotel consultancy firm, HVS Global Hospitality Services, Kaushik Vardharajan, said: "In India, there is a market for all players. "The country still needs a lot of rooms."
Hotel groups are also looking to enter the market of hotels in Goa and Mumbai hotels either with management contracts or acquisition with Mövenpick currently in discussions for properties in Jaipur, Kolkata, Goa, South Mumbai and Gurgaon. Vice-president of development and market for the hotel group, Lokesh Kumar, said:
"Either we will acquire a majority stake in a hotel or will go for a greenfield project as it is very difficult to bring changes in an existing property."
Luxury hotel brand Luxe are looking for acquisitions in Mumbai, New Delhi, Kolkata and Hyderabad and are looking for 14 luxury India hotels in total; Hilton Worldwide will be introducing six new brands into the country and will include Hampton, DoubleTree, Conrad, Hilton Garden Inn, and Waldorf Astoria who are looking to sign up two India hotels over the next few months; Amari who are planning seven properties by 2017 and two new brands, Ozo and Saffron; and Fairmont who are planning on building up a collection of 15-20 luxury India hotels over the next three years with the first being built in Jaipur and Hyderabad by 2012.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
A magical journey on the fastest train in India - A truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Golden Triangle
Travel through the heart of this wonderful country unearthing many hidden gems and witnessing many of India's most famous landmarks and monuments
- Journey on the fantastic Gatimaan Express, India's first train of it's type that was launched in April 2016
- Enjoy various excursions along the way such as a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, Jeep ride ascending Amber Fort and a Rajasthani feast with a local family, all included
- Travel between New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, with English speaking local guides for sightseeing and excursion tours
Go on a holiday of a lifetime visiting many of the must see tourist spots and more secluded parts that will memorable memories
- Witness the amazing "Lowering of the Flag" ceremony
- Experience a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...