Cuba holidays in Las Terrazas wins first place in Ecomuseum Category
During the recent and first ever Latam and Caribbean Meeting which took place last week from 17-20 May 2010, Cuba's municipality of Candelaria, Las Terrazas, won first place in the category of Ecomuseum, thanks to the ongoing efforts of this eco-community
The ecological riches of Cuba holidays have once again been praised gaining international recognition with one of the country’s protected eco-reserves being the proud receiver of an international eco-award. As it turns out, the Eastern community of Las Terrazas (close to the protected Viñales Valley) won first place in the Ecomuseum category during the first ever Latin American and Caribbean Meeting which was recently held just last week.
As part of the activities developed to mark the occasion of the first Latam and Caribbean Meeting which took place from 17-20th May, 2010, and in recognition of their 42 years of hard work preserving the quality of green Cuba holidays in this area, Las Terrazas community was declared Ecomuseum of Cuba, the first and only one of its kind in the country.
Sponsored by the Cultural Fund of the ALBA and the National Council of Cultural Heritage (CNPC), this eco-event took place in the above mentioned mountainous settlement of Las Terrazas, with the participation of renowned ecological experts from different Latin American and Caribbean countries including Ecuador, Venezuela, Brazil, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Cuba.
Besides exploring the quality of green Cuba holidays in the region, the programme also comprised visits to different museums, to Viñales Valley, the Buena Vista coffee plantation, as well as eco-debates and presentations.
Designed in order to promote the authentic green values of Cuba holidays, as well as showcase the island’s eco identity and strengthen theoretical and practical experiences in the area of community cultural management., this event gave visitors a chance to explore the many green riches to be found in this area of the Caribbean’s largest island.
In addition to this, the festivities to celebrate the International Museum Day which takes place every year on 18th March, were also taken as an opportunity to call for the continued preservation of these institutions and ensure the prolonged existence of pristine and well-protected Cuba holidays.
The different topics addressed during this meeting revolved around projects for the social appropriation of constructed and intangible heritage, the creation of educational and cultural programmes for historical cities, the relationship among the villagers and the preservation of the heritage, among other relevant subjects on the preservation of green Caribbean holidays and raising awareness of the green values of the tropics.
This community project of the Candelaria municipality in La Terrazas ended up winning the first place in the Ecomuseum category, a well deserved title given the efforts of its members and governmental entities to turn this spot into a space of socio-cultural and ecological management for the enjoyment of visitors on Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...