CARIFORUM and EU will launch conference on climate change to discuss eco-future of Caribbean holidays
The proposal of launching a special joint conference for November on the topic of sustainability and climate change was announced by the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean States (ACP) in conjunction with the European Union
Turning their attention to the issue of future sustainability for Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean (ACP) States have announced they will join forces with the European Union (EU) with the intention of launching a joint special conference on Climate Change.
Scheduled to take place just before the 16Th Conference of Parties (COP16) to the United Nations Frame Work Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC) which is expected to take place in Cancun, Mexico sometime in November, this conference will cover important issues and concerns over the long-term preservation of the immaculate condition of the ecosystems currently thriving in the Caribbean region and which many on Caribbean holidays take delight in visiting.
This announcement for this new conference was made in Madrid on Monday at a joint press conference following the Special Summit between the EUand CARIFORUM to discuss ways in which the bi-regional relationship between both regions could be strengthened.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade in Barbados and Chairman of CARIFORUM, Maxine McClean, declared that the meeting between both regions was extremely productive and critical to building a long standing relationship and ensuring the prolonged future of sustainable Caribbean holidays. She added that priority would begiven to Haiti, as that country pressed forward in its restoration programme, following the devastation of its capital by an earthquake on 12th January 2010.
Minister McClean added that both Regions had recognised the grave importance of addressing the challenges of climate change, and in this regard had placed emphasis on finding concrete ways of dealing with those challenges. This special Summit before the actual EU-LAC Summit, she stated, had served to ensure greater clarity between the two regions, especially as it related to the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
Recognising the necessity of advancing the region’s Climate Change agenda, Rompuy expressed hope that the joint Climate Change conference would allow for them to build on the “little successes” from Copenhagen in order to ensure more concrete results from the Cancun Conference. He too agreed that Climate Change had become a major critical issue especially in light of Haiti’s recent disaster and disclosed that the EU had pledged to throw its full support behind that country’s restoration.
In addition, the President of the European Council gave the Union’s public commitment to advancing the regional integration agenda and to strengthen that partnership for sustainable development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...