CARIFORUM and EU will launch conference on climate change to discuss eco-future of Caribbean holidays
The proposal of launching a special joint conference for November on the topic of sustainability and climate change was announced by the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean States (ACP) in conjunction with the European Union
Turning their attention to the issue of future sustainability for Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean (ACP) States have announced they will join forces with the European Union (EU) with the intention of launching a joint special conference on Climate Change.
Scheduled to take place just before the 16Th Conference of Parties (COP16) to the United Nations Frame Work Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC) which is expected to take place in Cancun, Mexico sometime in November, this conference will cover important issues and concerns over the long-term preservation of the immaculate condition of the ecosystems currently thriving in the Caribbean region and which many on Caribbean holidays take delight in visiting.
This announcement for this new conference was made in Madrid on Monday at a joint press conference following the Special Summit between the EUand CARIFORUM to discuss ways in which the bi-regional relationship between both regions could be strengthened.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade in Barbados and Chairman of CARIFORUM, Maxine McClean, declared that the meeting between both regions was extremely productive and critical to building a long standing relationship and ensuring the prolonged future of sustainable Caribbean holidays. She added that priority would begiven to Haiti, as that country pressed forward in its restoration programme, following the devastation of its capital by an earthquake on 12th January 2010.
Minister McClean added that both Regions had recognised the grave importance of addressing the challenges of climate change, and in this regard had placed emphasis on finding concrete ways of dealing with those challenges. This special Summit before the actual EU-LAC Summit, she stated, had served to ensure greater clarity between the two regions, especially as it related to the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
Recognising the necessity of advancing the region’s Climate Change agenda, Rompuy expressed hope that the joint Climate Change conference would allow for them to build on the “little successes” from Copenhagen in order to ensure more concrete results from the Cancun Conference. He too agreed that Climate Change had become a major critical issue especially in light of Haiti’s recent disaster and disclosed that the EU had pledged to throw its full support behind that country’s restoration.
In addition, the President of the European Council gave the Union’s public commitment to advancing the regional integration agenda and to strengthen that partnership for sustainable development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning varadero beach, getting the best of both during Easter 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre Easter holiday package deal
- The elegant distrrict of Miramar and the pristine beach of Varadero provide the perfect settings for exploring the charm and beauty of Cuba
- Boasts facilities, activities, excursions and entertainment for every taste
- A spacious, classy and comfortable feel
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...