CARIFORUM and EU will launch conference on climate change to discuss eco-future of Caribbean holidays
The proposal of launching a special joint conference for November on the topic of sustainability and climate change was announced by the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean States (ACP) in conjunction with the European Union
Turning their attention to the issue of future sustainability for Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean (ACP) States have announced they will join forces with the European Union (EU) with the intention of launching a joint special conference on Climate Change.
Scheduled to take place just before the 16Th Conference of Parties (COP16) to the United Nations Frame Work Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC) which is expected to take place in Cancun, Mexico sometime in November, this conference will cover important issues and concerns over the long-term preservation of the immaculate condition of the ecosystems currently thriving in the Caribbean region and which many on Caribbean holidays take delight in visiting.
This announcement for this new conference was made in Madrid on Monday at a joint press conference following the Special Summit between the EUand CARIFORUM to discuss ways in which the bi-regional relationship between both regions could be strengthened.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade in Barbados and Chairman of CARIFORUM, Maxine McClean, declared that the meeting between both regions was extremely productive and critical to building a long standing relationship and ensuring the prolonged future of sustainable Caribbean holidays. She added that priority would begiven to Haiti, as that country pressed forward in its restoration programme, following the devastation of its capital by an earthquake on 12th January 2010.
Minister McClean added that both Regions had recognised the grave importance of addressing the challenges of climate change, and in this regard had placed emphasis on finding concrete ways of dealing with those challenges. This special Summit before the actual EU-LAC Summit, she stated, had served to ensure greater clarity between the two regions, especially as it related to the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
Recognising the necessity of advancing the region’s Climate Change agenda, Rompuy expressed hope that the joint Climate Change conference would allow for them to build on the “little successes” from Copenhagen in order to ensure more concrete results from the Cancun Conference. He too agreed that Climate Change had become a major critical issue especially in light of Haiti’s recent disaster and disclosed that the EU had pledged to throw its full support behind that country’s restoration.
In addition, the President of the European Council gave the Union’s public commitment to advancing the regional integration agenda and to strengthen that partnership for sustainable development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Indulge in the finer things in life at a luxury five-star retreat and enjoy rocking the night away
- Try surfing at Flowrider or swim with Dolphins at the Dolphinarium
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
- Enjoy the impressive resort credits which can be spent on golf, dolphin swims, tours, spa treatments and much more.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...