CARIFORUM and EU will launch conference on climate change to discuss eco-future of Caribbean holidays
The proposal of launching a special joint conference for November on the topic of sustainability and climate change was announced by the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean States (ACP) in conjunction with the European Union
Turning their attention to the issue of future sustainability for Caribbean holidays, the Caribbean Forum (CARIFORUM) of African Pacific and Caribbean (ACP) States have announced they will join forces with the European Union (EU) with the intention of launching a joint special conference on Climate Change.
Scheduled to take place just before the 16Th Conference of Parties (COP16) to the United Nations Frame Work Convention on Climate Change (UNFCC) which is expected to take place in Cancun, Mexico sometime in November, this conference will cover important issues and concerns over the long-term preservation of the immaculate condition of the ecosystems currently thriving in the Caribbean region and which many on Caribbean holidays take delight in visiting.
This announcement for this new conference was made in Madrid on Monday at a joint press conference following the Special Summit between the EUand CARIFORUM to discuss ways in which the bi-regional relationship between both regions could be strengthened.
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade in Barbados and Chairman of CARIFORUM, Maxine McClean, declared that the meeting between both regions was extremely productive and critical to building a long standing relationship and ensuring the prolonged future of sustainable Caribbean holidays. She added that priority would begiven to Haiti, as that country pressed forward in its restoration programme, following the devastation of its capital by an earthquake on 12th January 2010.
Minister McClean added that both Regions had recognised the grave importance of addressing the challenges of climate change, and in this regard had placed emphasis on finding concrete ways of dealing with those challenges. This special Summit before the actual EU-LAC Summit, she stated, had served to ensure greater clarity between the two regions, especially as it related to the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).
Recognising the necessity of advancing the region’s Climate Change agenda, Rompuy expressed hope that the joint Climate Change conference would allow for them to build on the “little successes” from Copenhagen in order to ensure more concrete results from the Cancun Conference. He too agreed that Climate Change had become a major critical issue especially in light of Haiti’s recent disaster and disclosed that the EU had pledged to throw its full support behind that country’s restoration.
In addition, the President of the European Council gave the Union’s public commitment to advancing the regional integration agenda and to strengthen that partnership for sustainable development.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Enjoy a fantastic Resort View to Garden View
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...