Celebrating African Roots during Cuba holidays with new Havana festival
Starting Monday next week on the 25th May and lasting all the way through the 28th, for the delight of those enjoying Cuba holidays, Havana will be hosting their annual Wemilere Festival, a colourful street event celebrating the island's African roots.
If looking to enjoy a colourful, all-singing, all-dancing folkloric Caribbean event then you should hurry and book Cuba holidays soon for next week as from 25th May through the 28th, Havana will be hosting the 21st edition of the Wemilere Festival on African Roots, a fun-filled street fair aimed at preserving the legacy of the island's African ancestors and maintaining those roots alive as part of Cuba’s national identity.
Dedicated this year to the presence of the Yoruba culture on the Caribbean island, the festive gathering will once again be held at the municipality of Guanabacoa, a place well known in Havana for keeping centenarian African folkloric traditions, as the heirs of the combination between African and Spanish cultures. A visit to this peculiar municipality will show travellers on Cuba holidays a non-tourist place off the beaten track where they will be able to see what real Cuba is like and will be able to participate in this lively event.
Jorge Luis Corona, the president of the event’s Organising Committee, told the press that the centre and focus of the Festival will be the people, and that researchers, artists and people who practice African religions from 7 nations –among them Nigeria, Senegal, Venezuela and Guyana- will also be present to celebrate.
During the Wemilere, which in Yoruba language means "fiesta dedicated to the Orishas", visitors enjoying their Cuba holidays will be able to witness all forms of Yoruba artistic expressions coverging to make for an explosion of music and colour.
Corona also highlighted that the Concha Ferrant Gallery will be welcoming fine arts on the topic of African culture, with the exhibition “Lo africano en la Postmodernidad”, with the participation of graduates from different art schools.
On the other hand, the Rita Montaner Culture Centre will also be the venue of the literary forum “Africa en nosotros”, in which the incorporation of that cultural element to Hispanic letters will be analysed and explored.
In addition to all of this, for the viewing delight of onlooking enjoying their holidays in Cuba there will be live performances from the Cucalambe Fol. Ensemble, the work of which is dedicated to the preservation of Yoruba culture on the island. Such performances will be among the event’s main attractions, the president of the Organising Committee declared.
Also hosting some of the activities of the event –which has been carried out annually ever since 1989- will be the Ruben Martinez Villena Amphitheatre and the Guanabacoa Municipal Museum.
The African component of the Cuban identity handed down to the Caribbean nation as a strong culture of resistance with a rich history of traditions. Its multicolored artistic and philosophic heritage, and its miscegenation, since the times Lucumi slaves brought to the island the culture of West Africa in the 16th century. Those enjoying their holidays in Cuba will have a unique opportunity to experience this colourful events during a series of multi-racial festivities unlike any other.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...