Celebrating African Roots during Cuba holidays with new Havana festival
Starting Monday next week on the 25th May and lasting all the way through the 28th, for the delight of those enjoying Cuba holidays, Havana will be hosting their annual Wemilere Festival, a colourful street event celebrating the island's African roots.
If looking to enjoy a colourful, all-singing, all-dancing folkloric Caribbean event then you should hurry and book Cuba holidays soon for next week as from 25th May through the 28th, Havana will be hosting the 21st edition of the Wemilere Festival on African Roots, a fun-filled street fair aimed at preserving the legacy of the island's African ancestors and maintaining those roots alive as part of Cuba’s national identity.
Dedicated this year to the presence of the Yoruba culture on the Caribbean island, the festive gathering will once again be held at the municipality of Guanabacoa, a place well known in Havana for keeping centenarian African folkloric traditions, as the heirs of the combination between African and Spanish cultures. A visit to this peculiar municipality will show travellers on Cuba holidays a non-tourist place off the beaten track where they will be able to see what real Cuba is like and will be able to participate in this lively event.
Jorge Luis Corona, the president of the event’s Organising Committee, told the press that the centre and focus of the Festival will be the people, and that researchers, artists and people who practice African religions from 7 nations –among them Nigeria, Senegal, Venezuela and Guyana- will also be present to celebrate.
During the Wemilere, which in Yoruba language means "fiesta dedicated to the Orishas", visitors enjoying their Cuba holidays will be able to witness all forms of Yoruba artistic expressions coverging to make for an explosion of music and colour.
Corona also highlighted that the Concha Ferrant Gallery will be welcoming fine arts on the topic of African culture, with the exhibition “Lo africano en la Postmodernidad”, with the participation of graduates from different art schools.
On the other hand, the Rita Montaner Culture Centre will also be the venue of the literary forum “Africa en nosotros”, in which the incorporation of that cultural element to Hispanic letters will be analysed and explored.
In addition to all of this, for the viewing delight of onlooking enjoying their holidays in Cuba there will be live performances from the Cucalambe Fol. Ensemble, the work of which is dedicated to the preservation of Yoruba culture on the island. Such performances will be among the event’s main attractions, the president of the Organising Committee declared.
Also hosting some of the activities of the event –which has been carried out annually ever since 1989- will be the Ruben Martinez Villena Amphitheatre and the Guanabacoa Municipal Museum.
The African component of the Cuban identity handed down to the Caribbean nation as a strong culture of resistance with a rich history of traditions. Its multicolored artistic and philosophic heritage, and its miscegenation, since the times Lucumi slaves brought to the island the culture of West Africa in the 16th century. Those enjoying their holidays in Cuba will have a unique opportunity to experience this colourful events during a series of multi-racial festivities unlike any other.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...