Celebrating African Roots during Cuba holidays with new Havana festival
Starting Monday next week on the 25th May and lasting all the way through the 28th, for the delight of those enjoying Cuba holidays, Havana will be hosting their annual Wemilere Festival, a colourful street event celebrating the island's African roots.
If looking to enjoy a colourful, all-singing, all-dancing folkloric Caribbean event then you should hurry and book Cuba holidays soon for next week as from 25th May through the 28th, Havana will be hosting the 21st edition of the Wemilere Festival on African Roots, a fun-filled street fair aimed at preserving the legacy of the island's African ancestors and maintaining those roots alive as part of Cuba’s national identity.
Dedicated this year to the presence of the Yoruba culture on the Caribbean island, the festive gathering will once again be held at the municipality of Guanabacoa, a place well known in Havana for keeping centenarian African folkloric traditions, as the heirs of the combination between African and Spanish cultures. A visit to this peculiar municipality will show travellers on Cuba holidays a non-tourist place off the beaten track where they will be able to see what real Cuba is like and will be able to participate in this lively event.
Jorge Luis Corona, the president of the event’s Organising Committee, told the press that the centre and focus of the Festival will be the people, and that researchers, artists and people who practice African religions from 7 nations –among them Nigeria, Senegal, Venezuela and Guyana- will also be present to celebrate.
During the Wemilere, which in Yoruba language means "fiesta dedicated to the Orishas", visitors enjoying their Cuba holidays will be able to witness all forms of Yoruba artistic expressions coverging to make for an explosion of music and colour.
Corona also highlighted that the Concha Ferrant Gallery will be welcoming fine arts on the topic of African culture, with the exhibition “Lo africano en la Postmodernidad”, with the participation of graduates from different art schools.
On the other hand, the Rita Montaner Culture Centre will also be the venue of the literary forum “Africa en nosotros”, in which the incorporation of that cultural element to Hispanic letters will be analysed and explored.
In addition to all of this, for the viewing delight of onlooking enjoying their holidays in Cuba there will be live performances from the Cucalambe Fol. Ensemble, the work of which is dedicated to the preservation of Yoruba culture on the island. Such performances will be among the event’s main attractions, the president of the Organising Committee declared.
Also hosting some of the activities of the event –which has been carried out annually ever since 1989- will be the Ruben Martinez Villena Amphitheatre and the Guanabacoa Municipal Museum.
The African component of the Cuban identity handed down to the Caribbean nation as a strong culture of resistance with a rich history of traditions. Its multicolored artistic and philosophic heritage, and its miscegenation, since the times Lucumi slaves brought to the island the culture of West Africa in the 16th century. Those enjoying their holidays in Cuba will have a unique opportunity to experience this colourful events during a series of multi-racial festivities unlike any other.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...