Celebrating African Roots during Cuba holidays with new Havana festival
Starting Monday next week on the 25th May and lasting all the way through the 28th, for the delight of those enjoying Cuba holidays, Havana will be hosting their annual Wemilere Festival, a colourful street event celebrating the island's African roots.
If looking to enjoy a colourful, all-singing, all-dancing folkloric Caribbean event then you should hurry and book Cuba holidays soon for next week as from 25th May through the 28th, Havana will be hosting the 21st edition of the Wemilere Festival on African Roots, a fun-filled street fair aimed at preserving the legacy of the island's African ancestors and maintaining those roots alive as part of Cuba’s national identity.
Dedicated this year to the presence of the Yoruba culture on the Caribbean island, the festive gathering will once again be held at the municipality of Guanabacoa, a place well known in Havana for keeping centenarian African folkloric traditions, as the heirs of the combination between African and Spanish cultures. A visit to this peculiar municipality will show travellers on Cuba holidays a non-tourist place off the beaten track where they will be able to see what real Cuba is like and will be able to participate in this lively event.
Jorge Luis Corona, the president of the event’s Organising Committee, told the press that the centre and focus of the Festival will be the people, and that researchers, artists and people who practice African religions from 7 nations –among them Nigeria, Senegal, Venezuela and Guyana- will also be present to celebrate.
During the Wemilere, which in Yoruba language means "fiesta dedicated to the Orishas", visitors enjoying their Cuba holidays will be able to witness all forms of Yoruba artistic expressions coverging to make for an explosion of music and colour.
Corona also highlighted that the Concha Ferrant Gallery will be welcoming fine arts on the topic of African culture, with the exhibition “Lo africano en la Postmodernidad”, with the participation of graduates from different art schools.
On the other hand, the Rita Montaner Culture Centre will also be the venue of the literary forum “Africa en nosotros”, in which the incorporation of that cultural element to Hispanic letters will be analysed and explored.
In addition to all of this, for the viewing delight of onlooking enjoying their holidays in Cuba there will be live performances from the Cucalambe Fol. Ensemble, the work of which is dedicated to the preservation of Yoruba culture on the island. Such performances will be among the event’s main attractions, the president of the Organising Committee declared.
Also hosting some of the activities of the event –which has been carried out annually ever since 1989- will be the Ruben Martinez Villena Amphitheatre and the Guanabacoa Municipal Museum.
The African component of the Cuban identity handed down to the Caribbean nation as a strong culture of resistance with a rich history of traditions. Its multicolored artistic and philosophic heritage, and its miscegenation, since the times Lucumi slaves brought to the island the culture of West Africa in the 16th century. Those enjoying their holidays in Cuba will have a unique opportunity to experience this colourful events during a series of multi-racial festivities unlike any other.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...