WTO praises Cuba holidays for excelling in the tourism sector
Rifai Taleb, the Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation has been praising the outstanding quality of Cuba holidays during an Asia-Pacific tourism conference that recently took place in Hanoi, Vietnam
The quality of the Cuba holiday product was recently praised by the Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation (WTO), Taleb Rifai, who highlighted the island's outstanding capacity to diversify its tourism offers while protecting the environment.
Such praise came during a seminar on the significance of tourism for the socio-economic development of countries in the Asia-Pacific region, which recently took place in Hanoi, Vietnam. Speaking about how Cuba holidays set a fine example for other holiday destination to follow, Rifai said that Cuba is on the right track and should get ready for more, an article from Prensa Latina news reported.
Rifai, who deeply admires Cuba’s natural beauty, is known for his commitment to environmentally-friendly policies and for promoting the exploitation of new potentially beneficial tourist offers. In this regard, he praised the recovery of Havana’s cultural and architectural richness as a way to break the cliché that the island is only a sun and beach destination.
Adding that Cuba holidays are currently undergoing an impressive renovation development for a better exploitation of its image and natural appeal, Rifai also pointed out, it has to be prepared for an eventual opening of the US market.
During his trip to Vietnam to attend the conference, The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) will help Vietnam outline policies on sustainable development of tourism and introduce the Southeast Asian nation’s potentials outbound, Secretary General Taleb Rifai said in Hanoi.
The UNWTO will hold conferences and short-term training courses to share experiences with domestic tourism officials. The UNWTO Secretary General is in Vietnam for the 22nd session of the Pacific and South Asia Commission and the Commission of East Asia and Pacific, slated May 10-12. Up to 300 tourism officials from 17 Asian-Pacific nations and territories gathered at the 22nd meeting, hosted by the Vietnamese Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism for the first time.
The guest assured Vietnam has adequate criteria and huge potential to develop the tourism such as stable politics, hospitality, a range of various landscapes and relics. Nhan told the guest tourism is among the country’s major economic sectors, contributing to create jobs, eliminate poverty and connect Vietnam with the world.
Vietnam’s tourism sector presented an annual growth of 20% over the past ten years. The industry contributed 6.3% of the country’s total GDP in 2008. The tourism sector is among Vietnam’s two largest forex earners, with more than $4 billion last year, and they have plenty of potential for further growth if following the successful example of Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...