WTO praises Cuba holidays for excelling in the tourism sector
Rifai Taleb, the Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation has been praising the outstanding quality of Cuba holidays during an Asia-Pacific tourism conference that recently took place in Hanoi, Vietnam
The quality of the Cuba holiday product was recently praised by the Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation (WTO), Taleb Rifai, who highlighted the island's outstanding capacity to diversify its tourism offers while protecting the environment.
Such praise came during a seminar on the significance of tourism for the socio-economic development of countries in the Asia-Pacific region, which recently took place in Hanoi, Vietnam. Speaking about how Cuba holidays set a fine example for other holiday destination to follow, Rifai said that Cuba is on the right track and should get ready for more, an article from Prensa Latina news reported.
Rifai, who deeply admires Cuba’s natural beauty, is known for his commitment to environmentally-friendly policies and for promoting the exploitation of new potentially beneficial tourist offers. In this regard, he praised the recovery of Havana’s cultural and architectural richness as a way to break the cliché that the island is only a sun and beach destination.
Adding that Cuba holidays are currently undergoing an impressive renovation development for a better exploitation of its image and natural appeal, Rifai also pointed out, it has to be prepared for an eventual opening of the US market.
During his trip to Vietnam to attend the conference, The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) will help Vietnam outline policies on sustainable development of tourism and introduce the Southeast Asian nation’s potentials outbound, Secretary General Taleb Rifai said in Hanoi.
The UNWTO will hold conferences and short-term training courses to share experiences with domestic tourism officials. The UNWTO Secretary General is in Vietnam for the 22nd session of the Pacific and South Asia Commission and the Commission of East Asia and Pacific, slated May 10-12. Up to 300 tourism officials from 17 Asian-Pacific nations and territories gathered at the 22nd meeting, hosted by the Vietnamese Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism for the first time.
The guest assured Vietnam has adequate criteria and huge potential to develop the tourism such as stable politics, hospitality, a range of various landscapes and relics. Nhan told the guest tourism is among the country’s major economic sectors, contributing to create jobs, eliminate poverty and connect Vietnam with the world.
Vietnam’s tourism sector presented an annual growth of 20% over the past ten years. The industry contributed 6.3% of the country’s total GDP in 2008. The tourism sector is among Vietnam’s two largest forex earners, with more than $4 billion last year, and they have plenty of potential for further growth if following the successful example of Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...