WTO praises Cuba holidays for excelling in the tourism sector
Rifai Taleb, the Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation has been praising the outstanding quality of Cuba holidays during an Asia-Pacific tourism conference that recently took place in Hanoi, Vietnam
The quality of the Cuba holiday product was recently praised by the Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organisation (WTO), Taleb Rifai, who highlighted the island's outstanding capacity to diversify its tourism offers while protecting the environment.
Such praise came during a seminar on the significance of tourism for the socio-economic development of countries in the Asia-Pacific region, which recently took place in Hanoi, Vietnam. Speaking about how Cuba holidays set a fine example for other holiday destination to follow, Rifai said that Cuba is on the right track and should get ready for more, an article from Prensa Latina news reported.
Rifai, who deeply admires Cuba’s natural beauty, is known for his commitment to environmentally-friendly policies and for promoting the exploitation of new potentially beneficial tourist offers. In this regard, he praised the recovery of Havana’s cultural and architectural richness as a way to break the cliché that the island is only a sun and beach destination.
Adding that Cuba holidays are currently undergoing an impressive renovation development for a better exploitation of its image and natural appeal, Rifai also pointed out, it has to be prepared for an eventual opening of the US market.
During his trip to Vietnam to attend the conference, The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) will help Vietnam outline policies on sustainable development of tourism and introduce the Southeast Asian nation’s potentials outbound, Secretary General Taleb Rifai said in Hanoi.
The UNWTO will hold conferences and short-term training courses to share experiences with domestic tourism officials. The UNWTO Secretary General is in Vietnam for the 22nd session of the Pacific and South Asia Commission and the Commission of East Asia and Pacific, slated May 10-12. Up to 300 tourism officials from 17 Asian-Pacific nations and territories gathered at the 22nd meeting, hosted by the Vietnamese Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism for the first time.
The guest assured Vietnam has adequate criteria and huge potential to develop the tourism such as stable politics, hospitality, a range of various landscapes and relics. Nhan told the guest tourism is among the country’s major economic sectors, contributing to create jobs, eliminate poverty and connect Vietnam with the world.
Vietnam’s tourism sector presented an annual growth of 20% over the past ten years. The industry contributed 6.3% of the country’s total GDP in 2008. The tourism sector is among Vietnam’s two largest forex earners, with more than $4 billion last year, and they have plenty of potential for further growth if following the successful example of Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...