Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism being held in Barbados
The 11th Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism started last Sunday attracting a large number of regional experts on the topic of environmental sustainability. For the first time ever it was the turn for Barbados to play the host to such an event.
Last Sunday 9th May, the 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development (STC-11) opened in Barbados with Prime Minister, Freundel Stuart as its keynote speaker. Many issues will be raised during this 4-day conference including the environmental sustainability of Barbados holidays and many other popular Caribbean holiday destinations.
For the enjoyment of all attendees, the Opening Ceremony was infused with a cultural Caribbean potpourri featuring The Mighty Gabby, the S. Leonards Boys' Choir and the Royal Barbados Police Force Band. In addition to this, showcasing the best of Caribbean holidays and the region’s beautiful and varied selection of artisan handmade objects, an exhibition of arts and craft, from local and regional vendors, was also on display.
Barbados is hosting the STC-11 for the first time ever and is expected to bring a number of regional and international delegate and representatives from the Caribbean travel industry to the island. Organised by the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) and the Ministry of Tourism, it will run from May 9 to 12.
Speaking about the future of Caribbean holidays and its future sustainability against considerable environmental damage as well as looking at the impact mass tourism can have on the eco-preservation of these countries’ ecosystems, several highly qualified and experienced tourism professionals will be making presentations during the conference. Its main theme will go around the topic ‘Keeping the Right Balance: Creating Opportunities Through a World Class Sustainable Tourism Product’. Among the speakers Geo-tourism Editor at National Geographic Traveller, Johnathan Tourtellot will be making enlightening speeches on the topic.
Apart from discussing the sustainability of Caribbean holidays, the STC-11 also represents part of the information dissemination and regional awareness component of the CTO's strategy for sustainable tourism. High on the agenda will be the issue of how member states can design and implement sustainable tourism policies and programmes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...