New Travel Insurance regulations spark more interest in Cuba holidays
Contrary to what would have been expected it seems that Cuba's new compulsory health insurance regulation for travellers to the island, has generated more interested in this already popular Caribbean destination.
Having an opposite effect than what would generally be expected, it turns out that making health insurance a compulsory requirement for taking Cuba holidays has made this Caribbean holiday destination more popular than ever, with the talks of the insurance generating much interest on the island. It seems that instead of putting off holidaymakers, Cuba’s insurance warning to travellers has only served to spark further interest in Cuba holidays.
About two months ago the country announced that as of 1st May 2010, all travellers would be denied entry into the country unless they had acquired the appropriate medical insurance cover or bought it upon arrival directly from the main ports of entry. Proving that whenever this controversial destination gives something to talk about more and more holidaymakers are keen on going on Cuba holidays, Cheapflights UK, the UK’s leading search and comparison travel website has found that searches to Cuba have increased by 29 % post announcement; indicating that the country’s entry ban on those without the necessary paperwork has only served to gage interest in Cuba travel even further.
“Searches to Cuba have actually gone up since the announcement. Travellers remain undeterred by being banned entry if they don’t possess insurance documents and in a way, this is a positive move on the country’s behalf as being covered by medical insurance during your journey can save you a fortune should need to see a doctor for any reason,” revealed Nadine Hallak, Travel Expert for Cheapflights UK.
And those concerned about adding an extra spend to the cost of their Cuba holidays need not be. Fully comprehensive travel insurance including medical (injury and illness), cancellation, and even baggage cover can start from as little as £20 or £30 for the whole year, which, in many cases, can save paying anywhere between £150 upwards for a single treatment or doctor’s visit while abroad.
“For the best deals it’s simply a case of shopping around as you would when searching for cheap flights. Intrepid travellers may have to dig slightly further as not all insurers will cover extreme sports like bungee jumping, but they can be found, and for the most part, an extra £30 or less for the year is a small price to pay for quite a large return,” - Hallak explains.
And when the holiday destination is Cuba, evidence indicates that travellers think it’s well worth throwing in a little extra. Enchanting travellers with some up some of the world’s most exquisite beaches, mountain ranges, and world-famous art, the Caribbean’s largest island is one of the most sought-after holiday destinations in the West Indies. It’s also the birthplace of salsa, with music and dance representing part of the foundation of Cuban culture, being elements that travellers can get to experience during Cuba holidays.
All natural attributes aside, the country’s turbulent political past of revolution seems to also make it more appealing to curious tourists. All-inclusive resorts in Varadero have been proving immensely popular over the last few years and it’s not hard to see why. With flight prices starting from just £442 return, and ground costs of around just £7-10 for a mid-range dining, from £15 and up for top-end dining, and top-end Cuba hotels starting from £70 upwards, it’s easy to see why.
Also recognised around the world for its ecological footprint giving green travellers even more incentive to visit and learn about the huge strides, Cuba has taken in sustainable urban development, nature conservation, and organic agriculture to name but a few.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...