New Travel Insurance regulations spark more interest in Cuba holidays
Contrary to what would have been expected it seems that Cuba's new compulsory health insurance regulation for travellers to the island, has generated more interested in this already popular Caribbean destination.
Having an opposite effect than what would generally be expected, it turns out that making health insurance a compulsory requirement for taking Cuba holidays has made this Caribbean holiday destination more popular than ever, with the talks of the insurance generating much interest on the island. It seems that instead of putting off holidaymakers, Cuba’s insurance warning to travellers has only served to spark further interest in Cuba holidays.
About two months ago the country announced that as of 1st May 2010, all travellers would be denied entry into the country unless they had acquired the appropriate medical insurance cover or bought it upon arrival directly from the main ports of entry. Proving that whenever this controversial destination gives something to talk about more and more holidaymakers are keen on going on Cuba holidays, Cheapflights UK, the UK’s leading search and comparison travel website has found that searches to Cuba have increased by 29 % post announcement; indicating that the country’s entry ban on those without the necessary paperwork has only served to gage interest in Cuba travel even further.
“Searches to Cuba have actually gone up since the announcement. Travellers remain undeterred by being banned entry if they don’t possess insurance documents and in a way, this is a positive move on the country’s behalf as being covered by medical insurance during your journey can save you a fortune should need to see a doctor for any reason,” revealed Nadine Hallak, Travel Expert for Cheapflights UK.
And those concerned about adding an extra spend to the cost of their Cuba holidays need not be. Fully comprehensive travel insurance including medical (injury and illness), cancellation, and even baggage cover can start from as little as £20 or £30 for the whole year, which, in many cases, can save paying anywhere between £150 upwards for a single treatment or doctor’s visit while abroad.
“For the best deals it’s simply a case of shopping around as you would when searching for cheap flights. Intrepid travellers may have to dig slightly further as not all insurers will cover extreme sports like bungee jumping, but they can be found, and for the most part, an extra £30 or less for the year is a small price to pay for quite a large return,” - Hallak explains.
And when the holiday destination is Cuba, evidence indicates that travellers think it’s well worth throwing in a little extra. Enchanting travellers with some up some of the world’s most exquisite beaches, mountain ranges, and world-famous art, the Caribbean’s largest island is one of the most sought-after holiday destinations in the West Indies. It’s also the birthplace of salsa, with music and dance representing part of the foundation of Cuban culture, being elements that travellers can get to experience during Cuba holidays.
All natural attributes aside, the country’s turbulent political past of revolution seems to also make it more appealing to curious tourists. All-inclusive resorts in Varadero have been proving immensely popular over the last few years and it’s not hard to see why. With flight prices starting from just £442 return, and ground costs of around just £7-10 for a mid-range dining, from £15 and up for top-end dining, and top-end Cuba hotels starting from £70 upwards, it’s easy to see why.
Also recognised around the world for its ecological footprint giving green travellers even more incentive to visit and learn about the huge strides, Cuba has taken in sustainable urban development, nature conservation, and organic agriculture to name but a few.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...