Charter airlines likely to reduce medical insurance cost of Cuba holidays
While U.S.-based charter airlines are looking to include the cost of medical insurance in their ticket for passengers taking Cuba holidays, Cuba's MINREX have released figures showing that the new regulation won't turn out to be as pricey as expected.
It looks like the insurance costs for Cuba holidays could turn out cheaper than expected if travelling with certain charter airlines. As this extra cost will start being applicable for arrivals to the island from 1st May 2010 onwards, many travellers are still unsure as to how much the actual cost of the medical policy for Cuba holidays would amount to.
Buying medical insurance for Cuba holidayas may not be as costly as some imagine, or as complicated as many travellers fear. According to the country’s official MINREX (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) website for most travellers the cost of the medical insurance will range from CUC 2.00, CUC 2.50 to CUC 3.00 per day. These prices vary according to the level of coverage of each of the 3 options. But besides these official figures, there seem to be other ways of getting around those health insurance costs when taking Cuba holidays, as some charter airlines have stepped in to reduce the overall costs.
A Miami expert on charter flights published the following explanation applicable to passengers departing from the U.S:
Beginning 1st May 2010, Havanatur, the Havana-based travel group that deals with U.S. charter companies, will charge a US$46-per-passenger medical insurance premium to every charterer as part of the overall landing fee. So for many U.S.-based travellers going on Cuba holidays the insurance cost will be already included in the price of their ticket, taking the hassle out of having to separately arrange for insurance cover.
These charter airlines’ all-included insurance coverage will be valid for 30 days. When a traveller arrives in Cuba, his airline ticket will be stamped with proof of 30-day protection. The stamped ticket is, in effect, his policy.
But will the charterer collect the whole $46 from the traveller when it issues him his ticket? Not necessarily, the source says.
What is more likely to happen is that the charterer will charge the traveller less and absorb the loss, as an inducement to gain and keep the traveller's business, according to the source. Now that would be great news if only it were also applicable to airlines departing from the UK or Europe.
In the end it's all a matter of competition, and the U.S. charter companies rely on volume sales to stay in business, the source adds. It would be counterproductive for the charterer to charge the traveller more than the established US$46.
The bottom line is that, while medical insurance is now inescapable, a charter airline can help you keep its cost down, that is of course, is your departure point is in the U.S. While this new airline insurance is not available yet for flights departing from the UK, travellers should look out for similar airline tactics rolling out across Europe, possibly from the country’s national airline Cubana de Aviacion, who may team up with Cuban authorities to introduce the new health insurance regulations to passengers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...