CeltFest 2010 entertains tourists on Cuba holidays
Many travellers on Cuba Holidays in Havana experienced the vibrant CeltFest Cuba festival this month which saw talented artists and musicians combining Caribbean music and dance originating from the Celtic Nations of Europe.
The nine day festival took place from 6 April 2010 on a UNESCO Heritage site situated in Havana and featured music from a number of talented artists specialising in Caribbean and Irish Celtic music including Niamh Ni Chirra, The Havana Fiddle Club, Andrea Beaton, The Begleys, Tim Chaisson, Havana's Asturian Pipe Band, Mary Jane Lamond, Ward MacDonald, Havana's Galician Pipe Band, and James P Troy.
Tourists on Cuba holidays joined in the dancing and celebrations of the festival as musicians and dancers made their way through Havana's streets, courtyards, bars, and ancient squares. The traditional Celt music was brought over to the Caribbean island by the early immigrants from Spain and now each year the festival attracts thousands of visitors from afar who especially travel to Cuba for the celebrations.
CeltFest's main organiser and music producer, Lisa Butchart, made it all happen and explained the journey.
"I was naïve about the myriad of permissions that I would have to get to do a festival in Cuba," Butchart said. "That's probably just as well. I probably would never have attempted it had I known the difficulties."
"I find Cuba fascinating. It's a surreal country. It's so interesting. I love the Cuban people. We're starting something that I believe in, and the friendships I've made with these Cuban people. That's very special."
Visitor relaxing on their Cuba holidays enjoyed the mix of Caribbean and Celtic music and dancing with a combination of different instruments including pipers and drummers from Cuban Galician and Asturian traditions; Irish accordion players, fiddlers and singers; and Scottish Highland pipers from Cuba and Canada.
If any tourists on their holidays in Cuba missed the entertaining festival, they will get the chance to join in the celebrations next year as Butchart is intending to plan the festival again for 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...