CeltFest 2010 entertains tourists on Cuba holidays
Many travellers on Cuba Holidays in Havana experienced the vibrant CeltFest Cuba festival this month which saw talented artists and musicians combining Caribbean music and dance originating from the Celtic Nations of Europe.
The nine day festival took place from 6 April 2010 on a UNESCO Heritage site situated in Havana and featured music from a number of talented artists specialising in Caribbean and Irish Celtic music including Niamh Ni Chirra, The Havana Fiddle Club, Andrea Beaton, The Begleys, Tim Chaisson, Havana's Asturian Pipe Band, Mary Jane Lamond, Ward MacDonald, Havana's Galician Pipe Band, and James P Troy.
Tourists on Cuba holidays joined in the dancing and celebrations of the festival as musicians and dancers made their way through Havana's streets, courtyards, bars, and ancient squares. The traditional Celt music was brought over to the Caribbean island by the early immigrants from Spain and now each year the festival attracts thousands of visitors from afar who especially travel to Cuba for the celebrations.
CeltFest's main organiser and music producer, Lisa Butchart, made it all happen and explained the journey.
"I was naïve about the myriad of permissions that I would have to get to do a festival in Cuba," Butchart said. "That's probably just as well. I probably would never have attempted it had I known the difficulties."
"I find Cuba fascinating. It's a surreal country. It's so interesting. I love the Cuban people. We're starting something that I believe in, and the friendships I've made with these Cuban people. That's very special."
Visitor relaxing on their Cuba holidays enjoyed the mix of Caribbean and Celtic music and dancing with a combination of different instruments including pipers and drummers from Cuban Galician and Asturian traditions; Irish accordion players, fiddlers and singers; and Scottish Highland pipers from Cuba and Canada.
If any tourists on their holidays in Cuba missed the entertaining festival, they will get the chance to join in the celebrations next year as Butchart is intending to plan the festival again for 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...