CeltFest 2010 entertains tourists on Cuba holidays
Many travellers on Cuba Holidays in Havana experienced the vibrant CeltFest Cuba festival this month which saw talented artists and musicians combining Caribbean music and dance originating from the Celtic Nations of Europe.
The nine day festival took place from 6 April 2010 on a UNESCO Heritage site situated in Havana and featured music from a number of talented artists specialising in Caribbean and Irish Celtic music including Niamh Ni Chirra, The Havana Fiddle Club, Andrea Beaton, The Begleys, Tim Chaisson, Havana's Asturian Pipe Band, Mary Jane Lamond, Ward MacDonald, Havana's Galician Pipe Band, and James P Troy.
Tourists on Cuba holidays joined in the dancing and celebrations of the festival as musicians and dancers made their way through Havana's streets, courtyards, bars, and ancient squares. The traditional Celt music was brought over to the Caribbean island by the early immigrants from Spain and now each year the festival attracts thousands of visitors from afar who especially travel to Cuba for the celebrations.
CeltFest's main organiser and music producer, Lisa Butchart, made it all happen and explained the journey.
"I was naïve about the myriad of permissions that I would have to get to do a festival in Cuba," Butchart said. "That's probably just as well. I probably would never have attempted it had I known the difficulties."
"I find Cuba fascinating. It's a surreal country. It's so interesting. I love the Cuban people. We're starting something that I believe in, and the friendships I've made with these Cuban people. That's very special."
Visitor relaxing on their Cuba holidays enjoyed the mix of Caribbean and Celtic music and dancing with a combination of different instruments including pipers and drummers from Cuban Galician and Asturian traditions; Irish accordion players, fiddlers and singers; and Scottish Highland pipers from Cuba and Canada.
If any tourists on their holidays in Cuba missed the entertaining festival, they will get the chance to join in the celebrations next year as Butchart is intending to plan the festival again for 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Enjoy a luxurious Cuban twin centre holiday in Vibrant Havana and Relaxing Varadero with a fascinating City tour included
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
The Melia Habana Hotel is located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea. This building has a...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...