Pondering on the Future of Cuba holidays for Americans as US-Cuba Travel Hearing looms
With the date of the next hearing for the lifting of the ban on Cuba travel and trade approaching, Cuban and American tourism authorities prepare for the possibility of Americans taking Cuba holidays and the impact it would have on the island.
As the hearing date looms for the official review of the U.S.-Cuba travel and trade policy, Trade Subcommittee Chairman John S. Tanner revealed that much anticipation was building among many American companies and tour operators contemplating the possibility of Cuba holidays for all American citizens, and not just those with special permissions to travel to Cuba.
On their part, Cuba anticipates that as many as 1 million of U.S. visitors would be taking Cuba holidays in the 12 months following the lift of the Cuba travel ban. If and when Americans can once again travel freely to Cuba, many industry executives anticipate a huge demand for trips to the island nation.
Lisa Simon, president of the National Tour Association (NTA), said during the U.S.-Cuba Travel Summit, held last March in Cancun:“Tourism to Cuba would generate $1.18 to $1.6 billion a year for the U.S. travel industry if travel restrictions were lifted,”
The summit discussed potential business opportunities for travel professionals if the 48-year-old travel ban to Cuba finally ends opening up many possibilites for Cuba travel and Cuba holidays tailored to the American market.
With the country having received a total of 2.4 million tourists in 2009. Cuban Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz said it could handle a sudden influx, estimated at 1 million U.S. visitors during the 12 months after travel restrictions were lifted. He added that within five years, this number is expected to triple.
“We need to redistribute visitors throughout the year” - Marrero announced dismissing concerns that the 30 new Cuba hotels set to add 10,000 rooms by 2013 would be insufficient.
With Cuba’s current inventory of 50,000 hotel rooms, 1,500 tour buses and 10,000 rental cars being but barely adequate to meet the high-season demand for Cuba holidays, many expressed their concern at the island’s tourism structure not being able to grow fast enough to receive a massive influx of American tourists..
On the other hand air travel to Cuba could be also be a bottleneck. “There is going to be so much demand that it’s going to be hard getting seats” - said John Hanratty, CEO of Travel Impressions.
Nevertheless, most tour operators remained optimistic. “Within three to six months, we could get trips underway after restrictions are lifted” - Paula Twidale of Collette Vacations said on a lighther note.
The conference, presented by Alamar Associates in association with the NTA and US Tour Operators Association, coincided with the consideration by Congress to lift the Cuba travel ban, which has beenin effect since 1962.
The all-important hearing will be taking place next 28th April 2010 and will be held at the House Ways and Means Trade Subcomittee and the issue of giving back the freedom for American citizens to go on Cuba holidays will be one of the meeting's highlights. The hearing will be focused on the subject of relaxing Cuba travel laws and trade restrictions with the purposes of advancing United States economic objectives.
In an announcement released today, Chairman Tanner said - “It is clear to me that the United States’ policy toward Cuba is not working.
“The embargo has failed to achieve its objectives and has shut U.S. workers, farmers and businesses out of the Cuban market.”
“The Administration has taken us in a new direction, but more needs to be done. It is time to expand our approach to promote U.S. economic interests in Cuba as well.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...