Pondering on the Future of Cuba holidays for Americans as US-Cuba Travel Hearing looms
With the date of the next hearing for the lifting of the ban on Cuba travel and trade approaching, Cuban and American tourism authorities prepare for the possibility of Americans taking Cuba holidays and the impact it would have on the island.
As the hearing date looms for the official review of the U.S.-Cuba travel and trade policy, Trade Subcommittee Chairman John S. Tanner revealed that much anticipation was building among many American companies and tour operators contemplating the possibility of Cuba holidays for all American citizens, and not just those with special permissions to travel to Cuba.
On their part, Cuba anticipates that as many as 1 million of U.S. visitors would be taking Cuba holidays in the 12 months following the lift of the Cuba travel ban. If and when Americans can once again travel freely to Cuba, many industry executives anticipate a huge demand for trips to the island nation.
Lisa Simon, president of the National Tour Association (NTA), said during the U.S.-Cuba Travel Summit, held last March in Cancun:“Tourism to Cuba would generate $1.18 to $1.6 billion a year for the U.S. travel industry if travel restrictions were lifted,”
The summit discussed potential business opportunities for travel professionals if the 48-year-old travel ban to Cuba finally ends opening up many possibilites for Cuba travel and Cuba holidays tailored to the American market.
With the country having received a total of 2.4 million tourists in 2009. Cuban Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz said it could handle a sudden influx, estimated at 1 million U.S. visitors during the 12 months after travel restrictions were lifted. He added that within five years, this number is expected to triple.
“We need to redistribute visitors throughout the year” - Marrero announced dismissing concerns that the 30 new Cuba hotels set to add 10,000 rooms by 2013 would be insufficient.
With Cuba’s current inventory of 50,000 hotel rooms, 1,500 tour buses and 10,000 rental cars being but barely adequate to meet the high-season demand for Cuba holidays, many expressed their concern at the island’s tourism structure not being able to grow fast enough to receive a massive influx of American tourists..
On the other hand air travel to Cuba could be also be a bottleneck. “There is going to be so much demand that it’s going to be hard getting seats” - said John Hanratty, CEO of Travel Impressions.
Nevertheless, most tour operators remained optimistic. “Within three to six months, we could get trips underway after restrictions are lifted” - Paula Twidale of Collette Vacations said on a lighther note.
The conference, presented by Alamar Associates in association with the NTA and US Tour Operators Association, coincided with the consideration by Congress to lift the Cuba travel ban, which has beenin effect since 1962.
The all-important hearing will be taking place next 28th April 2010 and will be held at the House Ways and Means Trade Subcomittee and the issue of giving back the freedom for American citizens to go on Cuba holidays will be one of the meeting's highlights. The hearing will be focused on the subject of relaxing Cuba travel laws and trade restrictions with the purposes of advancing United States economic objectives.
In an announcement released today, Chairman Tanner said - “It is clear to me that the United States’ policy toward Cuba is not working.
“The embargo has failed to achieve its objectives and has shut U.S. workers, farmers and businesses out of the Cuban market.”
“The Administration has taken us in a new direction, but more needs to be done. It is time to expand our approach to promote U.S. economic interests in Cuba as well.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...