Regular flight passengers climb in Dominican Republic in first quarter 2010
The Dominican Civil Aviation Board (JAC) recently unveiled figures showing that the number of passengers taking regular flights to the Dominican Republic had significantly risen during 2010's first quarter when compared against the same period in 2009.
The number of travellers taking Dominican Republic holidays seems to have been increasing during this year’s first quarter as the country’s aviation board announced that the number of travellers aboard regular flights rose by more than 473,000 passengers, signalling a 7% rise from last year’s figures.
The Civil Aviation Board (JAC) revealed that the number of passengers aboard regular flights to the Dominican Republic rose significantly with a parallel increase to the number of flights, which rose by 1225, representing a 7.5% when compared against 2009 figures.
Supporting the idea that Dominican Republic holidays experienced an increase in popularity during the first months of 2010, Luis Paulino Rodriguez, JAC’s president, said that the number of passengers on regular and charter flights in the first quarter increased by 126,042, with a 4.8% rise. In addition to this there was also a rise in operations with 2,240 more air operations in the first quarter of 2010 than during the same period in 2009.
"The first quarter new airlines have been authorized to operate in the country, including VRG, Linhas Aéreas, S.A. with a permit to fly from Brazil to Punta Cana and Santo Domingo; and British Airways, PLC, with flights from London to Punta Cana (east)" - Mr Rodriguez informed on a public statement to the media.
Rodriguez also added that several companies were allowed to expand flight services including Air Canada, for routes between Toronto and La Romana; Halifax and Samaná and Montreal-Samaná/Montreal, whereas Corsairfly announced it will operate the Nantes-Fort de France-Punta Cana route, opening up even more opportunities for Dominican Republic holidays to continue to be on the rise.
Furthermore, Jet Blue will also be expanding its services to include the routes New York-Punta Cana and Boston-Punta Cana, also contributing to a possible increase of more passengers arriving at Dominican airports to enjoy Dominican Republic holidays.
On a last note, the official from JAC announced that among the Dominican Civil Aviation Board’s immediate plans they planned a negotiation of new flight agreements with Uruguay, Paraguay, India and Kuwait.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Live it up and enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy unlimited luxury, sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...