Sustainable Tourism conference to be held in Barbados
Barbados will be the member country hosting the 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which will be taking place from 9-10 May, 2010 at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown.
The 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which is to be held from 9-10 May, 2010, this year will be taking place in Barbados, as announced by the island’s newspaper, the Daily Nation. The place chosen to host the event is the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown and the meeting will be organised in collaboration with the Government of Barbados, the source also revealed.
Focused around the topic of the environmental issues affecting the future of Caribbean holidays, this annual Conference is part of the information dissemination and regional awareness component of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) Strategy for Sustainable Tourism. The meetings look at how Caribbean member states can come up with and implement sustainable tourism practices, policies, programmes and ongoing efforts to ensure the maintenance of green Caribbean holidays for many years to come. The event also offers a regional forum for information exchange on the successes and pitfalls of national, regional and international initiatives.
Gathering regional and international tourism specialists, the event accounts with the presence of several Ministers of Government, Directors of Tourism, as well as expert attendees on the subject of environmental development and cultural entities, experts from environmental and academic spheres and the local communities. All will come together under one roof to share their experiences and offer solutions to the problems in the development of sustainable tourism for Caribbean holidays.
An excess of 250 local, regional and international delegates are expected to attend this important meeting on the environmental issues and challenges that Caribbean holidays are currently face.
“We are delighted that we are able to once again bring together a wide range of experts and stakeholders to discuss the region’s sustainability. We thank the government of Barbados for hosting this very important conference in this difficult global economic climate.” - said Hugh Riley, Secretary General of the CTO.
This year’s conference will examine critical issues relating to sustainability and will explore creative solutions to many of the challenges facing CTO Member Countries, including the devastating and worrying effects of climate change and how its quick progression could seriously put in danger Caribbean holidays at some of the member countries.
“STC will continue with the focus on how Member States can design and incorporate sustainable tourism policies and practices into their regional and international initiatives,” - added CTO’s Sustainable Tourism Product Specialist, Gail Henry - “We recognize that the development of the tourism sector in the Caribbean has to continue on a sustainable path. The Caribbean has an opportunity to lead advancements in this area while also creating valuable employment opportunities.”
As is already customary on theses conferences; a special comprehensive and dynamic programme is being planned to include the traditional study tours – always a key feature of this Caribbean event.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...