Sustainable Tourism conference to be held in Barbados
Barbados will be the member country hosting the 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which will be taking place from 9-10 May, 2010 at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown.
The 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which is to be held from 9-10 May, 2010, this year will be taking place in Barbados, as announced by the island’s newspaper, the Daily Nation. The place chosen to host the event is the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown and the meeting will be organised in collaboration with the Government of Barbados, the source also revealed.
Focused around the topic of the environmental issues affecting the future of Caribbean holidays, this annual Conference is part of the information dissemination and regional awareness component of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) Strategy for Sustainable Tourism. The meetings look at how Caribbean member states can come up with and implement sustainable tourism practices, policies, programmes and ongoing efforts to ensure the maintenance of green Caribbean holidays for many years to come. The event also offers a regional forum for information exchange on the successes and pitfalls of national, regional and international initiatives.
Gathering regional and international tourism specialists, the event accounts with the presence of several Ministers of Government, Directors of Tourism, as well as expert attendees on the subject of environmental development and cultural entities, experts from environmental and academic spheres and the local communities. All will come together under one roof to share their experiences and offer solutions to the problems in the development of sustainable tourism for Caribbean holidays.
An excess of 250 local, regional and international delegates are expected to attend this important meeting on the environmental issues and challenges that Caribbean holidays are currently face.
“We are delighted that we are able to once again bring together a wide range of experts and stakeholders to discuss the region’s sustainability. We thank the government of Barbados for hosting this very important conference in this difficult global economic climate.” - said Hugh Riley, Secretary General of the CTO.
This year’s conference will examine critical issues relating to sustainability and will explore creative solutions to many of the challenges facing CTO Member Countries, including the devastating and worrying effects of climate change and how its quick progression could seriously put in danger Caribbean holidays at some of the member countries.
“STC will continue with the focus on how Member States can design and incorporate sustainable tourism policies and practices into their regional and international initiatives,” - added CTO’s Sustainable Tourism Product Specialist, Gail Henry - “We recognize that the development of the tourism sector in the Caribbean has to continue on a sustainable path. The Caribbean has an opportunity to lead advancements in this area while also creating valuable employment opportunities.”
As is already customary on theses conferences; a special comprehensive and dynamic programme is being planned to include the traditional study tours – always a key feature of this Caribbean event.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
Stay in pure paradise at a beautiful 25-acre property, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Save £450 per person with our current Flash Sale.
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
- Relax and unwind upon paradisiacal beaches
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...