Sustainable Tourism conference to be held in Barbados
Barbados will be the member country hosting the 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which will be taking place from 9-10 May, 2010 at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown.
The 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which is to be held from 9-10 May, 2010, this year will be taking place in Barbados, as announced by the island’s newspaper, the Daily Nation. The place chosen to host the event is the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown and the meeting will be organised in collaboration with the Government of Barbados, the source also revealed.
Focused around the topic of the environmental issues affecting the future of Caribbean holidays, this annual Conference is part of the information dissemination and regional awareness component of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) Strategy for Sustainable Tourism. The meetings look at how Caribbean member states can come up with and implement sustainable tourism practices, policies, programmes and ongoing efforts to ensure the maintenance of green Caribbean holidays for many years to come. The event also offers a regional forum for information exchange on the successes and pitfalls of national, regional and international initiatives.
Gathering regional and international tourism specialists, the event accounts with the presence of several Ministers of Government, Directors of Tourism, as well as expert attendees on the subject of environmental development and cultural entities, experts from environmental and academic spheres and the local communities. All will come together under one roof to share their experiences and offer solutions to the problems in the development of sustainable tourism for Caribbean holidays.
An excess of 250 local, regional and international delegates are expected to attend this important meeting on the environmental issues and challenges that Caribbean holidays are currently face.
“We are delighted that we are able to once again bring together a wide range of experts and stakeholders to discuss the region’s sustainability. We thank the government of Barbados for hosting this very important conference in this difficult global economic climate.” - said Hugh Riley, Secretary General of the CTO.
This year’s conference will examine critical issues relating to sustainability and will explore creative solutions to many of the challenges facing CTO Member Countries, including the devastating and worrying effects of climate change and how its quick progression could seriously put in danger Caribbean holidays at some of the member countries.
“STC will continue with the focus on how Member States can design and incorporate sustainable tourism policies and practices into their regional and international initiatives,” - added CTO’s Sustainable Tourism Product Specialist, Gail Henry - “We recognize that the development of the tourism sector in the Caribbean has to continue on a sustainable path. The Caribbean has an opportunity to lead advancements in this area while also creating valuable employment opportunities.”
As is already customary on theses conferences; a special comprehensive and dynamic programme is being planned to include the traditional study tours – always a key feature of this Caribbean event.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...