Sustainable Tourism conference to be held in Barbados
Barbados will be the member country hosting the 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which will be taking place from 9-10 May, 2010 at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown.
The 11th annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism, which is to be held from 9-10 May, 2010, this year will be taking place in Barbados, as announced by the island’s newspaper, the Daily Nation. The place chosen to host the event is the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Bridgetown and the meeting will be organised in collaboration with the Government of Barbados, the source also revealed.
Focused around the topic of the environmental issues affecting the future of Caribbean holidays, this annual Conference is part of the information dissemination and regional awareness component of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) Strategy for Sustainable Tourism. The meetings look at how Caribbean member states can come up with and implement sustainable tourism practices, policies, programmes and ongoing efforts to ensure the maintenance of green Caribbean holidays for many years to come. The event also offers a regional forum for information exchange on the successes and pitfalls of national, regional and international initiatives.
Gathering regional and international tourism specialists, the event accounts with the presence of several Ministers of Government, Directors of Tourism, as well as expert attendees on the subject of environmental development and cultural entities, experts from environmental and academic spheres and the local communities. All will come together under one roof to share their experiences and offer solutions to the problems in the development of sustainable tourism for Caribbean holidays.
An excess of 250 local, regional and international delegates are expected to attend this important meeting on the environmental issues and challenges that Caribbean holidays are currently face.
“We are delighted that we are able to once again bring together a wide range of experts and stakeholders to discuss the region’s sustainability. We thank the government of Barbados for hosting this very important conference in this difficult global economic climate.” - said Hugh Riley, Secretary General of the CTO.
This year’s conference will examine critical issues relating to sustainability and will explore creative solutions to many of the challenges facing CTO Member Countries, including the devastating and worrying effects of climate change and how its quick progression could seriously put in danger Caribbean holidays at some of the member countries.
“STC will continue with the focus on how Member States can design and incorporate sustainable tourism policies and practices into their regional and international initiatives,” - added CTO’s Sustainable Tourism Product Specialist, Gail Henry - “We recognize that the development of the tourism sector in the Caribbean has to continue on a sustainable path. The Caribbean has an opportunity to lead advancements in this area while also creating valuable employment opportunities.”
As is already customary on theses conferences; a special comprehensive and dynamic programme is being planned to include the traditional study tours – always a key feature of this Caribbean event.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...