Medical Insurance on Cuba holidays - more information disclosed to travellers
More information has recently been released on the new compulsory health insurance policy travellers will need to acquire when booking their Cuba holidays. Travellers will be able to buy it prior to departure or upon arrival at airports, ports or marines.
On previous news we mentioned how everyone taking Cuba holidays from May, 2010 onwards would have to purchase compulsory health insurance offered by Cuba’s health authorities through authorised insurance companies only.
To shed more light into this new regulation coming into force soon, we have received more info on how travellers should buy their health insurance before or after they arrive in Cuba for their Cuba holidays. In order to fulfil this new requirement, travellers should have a travel insurance that includes medical expenses or a medical expenses policy, with cover inside Cuba. The policy should be acquired in their country of residence or alternatively, those travellers that haven’t purchased the insurance in advance; upon arrival they will be required to buy a policy with insurance and assistance cover subscribed by Cuban insurance companies at the airport, port or marines.
Offering total peace of mind to travellers on Cuba holidays, the Cuba travel insurances offered by Cuban insurance companies and by most of the international insurance companies have the ASISTUR Assistance Services for trips inside Cuba which provides a 24- hours service during all the 365 days of the year, including national holidays.
According to statistics, currently more than 80 % of travellers who take Cuba holidays have an insurance provided by companies of their country of residence. When booking Cuba holidays for arrivals from May this year, travellers must verify with their insurance company that their insurance covers medical expenses in Cuba.
Likewise, residents of the United States travelling directly to Cuba will have to acquire a policy with Cuban insurance cover in the country of residence. This policy will be marketed through a special network of agencies associated to HAVANATURCELIMAR Company, due to the impossibility for North American insurance companies to guarantee covering in the national territory of this “forbidden island” where American citizens are not allowed to take Cuba holidays.
Upon landing in Cuba, travellers will be checked and must show their policy, certificate of insurance or travel assistance card, which must be valid for the duration of their stay in Cuba.
For any case of medical emergency, the Cuban Health care System guarantees primary assistance through a net of clinics and hospitals located all over the country and within easy access. Primary medical assistance will be provided at most of the tourist facilities and Cuba hotels. For more information on the medical services included, when planning your Cuba holidays, you can visit the official website, go to the Cuban Embassy or Consulate in London, or to the offices of Cuban Ministry of Tourism. You can also visit websites of Ministry of Tourism (http://www.cubatravel.cu) or the insurance and assistance company ASISTUR (http://www.asistur.cu). Alternatively you can give us a call at The Holiday Place as we work very closely with this Caribbean holiday destination and always have the latest up to date information on Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...