Medical Insurance on Cuba holidays - more information disclosed to travellers
More information has recently been released on the new compulsory health insurance policy travellers will need to acquire when booking their Cuba holidays. Travellers will be able to buy it prior to departure or upon arrival at airports, ports or marines.
On previous news we mentioned how everyone taking Cuba holidays from May, 2010 onwards would have to purchase compulsory health insurance offered by Cuba’s health authorities through authorised insurance companies only.
To shed more light into this new regulation coming into force soon, we have received more info on how travellers should buy their health insurance before or after they arrive in Cuba for their Cuba holidays. In order to fulfil this new requirement, travellers should have a travel insurance that includes medical expenses or a medical expenses policy, with cover inside Cuba. The policy should be acquired in their country of residence or alternatively, those travellers that haven’t purchased the insurance in advance; upon arrival they will be required to buy a policy with insurance and assistance cover subscribed by Cuban insurance companies at the airport, port or marines.
Offering total peace of mind to travellers on Cuba holidays, the Cuba travel insurances offered by Cuban insurance companies and by most of the international insurance companies have the ASISTUR Assistance Services for trips inside Cuba which provides a 24- hours service during all the 365 days of the year, including national holidays.
According to statistics, currently more than 80 % of travellers who take Cuba holidays have an insurance provided by companies of their country of residence. When booking Cuba holidays for arrivals from May this year, travellers must verify with their insurance company that their insurance covers medical expenses in Cuba.
Likewise, residents of the United States travelling directly to Cuba will have to acquire a policy with Cuban insurance cover in the country of residence. This policy will be marketed through a special network of agencies associated to HAVANATURCELIMAR Company, due to the impossibility for North American insurance companies to guarantee covering in the national territory of this “forbidden island” where American citizens are not allowed to take Cuba holidays.
Upon landing in Cuba, travellers will be checked and must show their policy, certificate of insurance or travel assistance card, which must be valid for the duration of their stay in Cuba.
For any case of medical emergency, the Cuban Health care System guarantees primary assistance through a net of clinics and hospitals located all over the country and within easy access. Primary medical assistance will be provided at most of the tourist facilities and Cuba hotels. For more information on the medical services included, when planning your Cuba holidays, you can visit the official website, go to the Cuban Embassy or Consulate in London, or to the offices of Cuban Ministry of Tourism. You can also visit websites of Ministry of Tourism (http://www.cubatravel.cu) or the insurance and assistance company ASISTUR (http://www.asistur.cu). Alternatively you can give us a call at The Holiday Place as we work very closely with this Caribbean holiday destination and always have the latest up to date information on Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...