Medical Insurance on Cuba holidays - more information disclosed to travellers
More information has recently been released on the new compulsory health insurance policy travellers will need to acquire when booking their Cuba holidays. Travellers will be able to buy it prior to departure or upon arrival at airports, ports or marines.
On previous news we mentioned how everyone taking Cuba holidays from May, 2010 onwards would have to purchase compulsory health insurance offered by Cuba’s health authorities through authorised insurance companies only.
To shed more light into this new regulation coming into force soon, we have received more info on how travellers should buy their health insurance before or after they arrive in Cuba for their Cuba holidays. In order to fulfil this new requirement, travellers should have a travel insurance that includes medical expenses or a medical expenses policy, with cover inside Cuba. The policy should be acquired in their country of residence or alternatively, those travellers that haven’t purchased the insurance in advance; upon arrival they will be required to buy a policy with insurance and assistance cover subscribed by Cuban insurance companies at the airport, port or marines.
Offering total peace of mind to travellers on Cuba holidays, the Cuba travel insurances offered by Cuban insurance companies and by most of the international insurance companies have the ASISTUR Assistance Services for trips inside Cuba which provides a 24- hours service during all the 365 days of the year, including national holidays.
According to statistics, currently more than 80 % of travellers who take Cuba holidays have an insurance provided by companies of their country of residence. When booking Cuba holidays for arrivals from May this year, travellers must verify with their insurance company that their insurance covers medical expenses in Cuba.
Likewise, residents of the United States travelling directly to Cuba will have to acquire a policy with Cuban insurance cover in the country of residence. This policy will be marketed through a special network of agencies associated to HAVANATURCELIMAR Company, due to the impossibility for North American insurance companies to guarantee covering in the national territory of this “forbidden island” where American citizens are not allowed to take Cuba holidays.
Upon landing in Cuba, travellers will be checked and must show their policy, certificate of insurance or travel assistance card, which must be valid for the duration of their stay in Cuba.
For any case of medical emergency, the Cuban Health care System guarantees primary assistance through a net of clinics and hospitals located all over the country and within easy access. Primary medical assistance will be provided at most of the tourist facilities and Cuba hotels. For more information on the medical services included, when planning your Cuba holidays, you can visit the official website, go to the Cuban Embassy or Consulate in London, or to the offices of Cuban Ministry of Tourism. You can also visit websites of Ministry of Tourism (http://www.cubatravel.cu) or the insurance and assistance company ASISTUR (http://www.asistur.cu). Alternatively you can give us a call at The Holiday Place as we work very closely with this Caribbean holiday destination and always have the latest up to date information on Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the crystal clear waters of Varadero and slip into total relaxation this summer
- Enjoy a grilled feast with a restaurant on the beach
- Within close proximity to such famous attractions as the Ecological Reserve at Varahicacos
- Close to one of the best windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...