Medical Insurance on Cuba holidays - more information disclosed to travellers
More information has recently been released on the new compulsory health insurance policy travellers will need to acquire when booking their Cuba holidays. Travellers will be able to buy it prior to departure or upon arrival at airports, ports or marines.
On previous news we mentioned how everyone taking Cuba holidays from May, 2010 onwards would have to purchase compulsory health insurance offered by Cuba’s health authorities through authorised insurance companies only.
To shed more light into this new regulation coming into force soon, we have received more info on how travellers should buy their health insurance before or after they arrive in Cuba for their Cuba holidays. In order to fulfil this new requirement, travellers should have a travel insurance that includes medical expenses or a medical expenses policy, with cover inside Cuba. The policy should be acquired in their country of residence or alternatively, those travellers that haven’t purchased the insurance in advance; upon arrival they will be required to buy a policy with insurance and assistance cover subscribed by Cuban insurance companies at the airport, port or marines.
Offering total peace of mind to travellers on Cuba holidays, the Cuba travel insurances offered by Cuban insurance companies and by most of the international insurance companies have the ASISTUR Assistance Services for trips inside Cuba which provides a 24- hours service during all the 365 days of the year, including national holidays.
According to statistics, currently more than 80 % of travellers who take Cuba holidays have an insurance provided by companies of their country of residence. When booking Cuba holidays for arrivals from May this year, travellers must verify with their insurance company that their insurance covers medical expenses in Cuba.
Likewise, residents of the United States travelling directly to Cuba will have to acquire a policy with Cuban insurance cover in the country of residence. This policy will be marketed through a special network of agencies associated to HAVANATURCELIMAR Company, due to the impossibility for North American insurance companies to guarantee covering in the national territory of this “forbidden island” where American citizens are not allowed to take Cuba holidays.
Upon landing in Cuba, travellers will be checked and must show their policy, certificate of insurance or travel assistance card, which must be valid for the duration of their stay in Cuba.
For any case of medical emergency, the Cuban Health care System guarantees primary assistance through a net of clinics and hospitals located all over the country and within easy access. Primary medical assistance will be provided at most of the tourist facilities and Cuba hotels. For more information on the medical services included, when planning your Cuba holidays, you can visit the official website, go to the Cuban Embassy or Consulate in London, or to the offices of Cuban Ministry of Tourism. You can also visit websites of Ministry of Tourism (http://www.cubatravel.cu) or the insurance and assistance company ASISTUR (http://www.asistur.cu). Alternatively you can give us a call at The Holiday Place as we work very closely with this Caribbean holiday destination and always have the latest up to date information on Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...