Medical Insurance on Cuba holidays - more information disclosed to travellers
More information has recently been released on the new compulsory health insurance policy travellers will need to acquire when booking their Cuba holidays. Travellers will be able to buy it prior to departure or upon arrival at airports, ports or marines.
On previous news we mentioned how everyone taking Cuba holidays from May, 2010 onwards would have to purchase compulsory health insurance offered by Cuba’s health authorities through authorised insurance companies only.
To shed more light into this new regulation coming into force soon, we have received more info on how travellers should buy their health insurance before or after they arrive in Cuba for their Cuba holidays. In order to fulfil this new requirement, travellers should have a travel insurance that includes medical expenses or a medical expenses policy, with cover inside Cuba. The policy should be acquired in their country of residence or alternatively, those travellers that haven’t purchased the insurance in advance; upon arrival they will be required to buy a policy with insurance and assistance cover subscribed by Cuban insurance companies at the airport, port or marines.
Offering total peace of mind to travellers on Cuba holidays, the Cuba travel insurances offered by Cuban insurance companies and by most of the international insurance companies have the ASISTUR Assistance Services for trips inside Cuba which provides a 24- hours service during all the 365 days of the year, including national holidays.
According to statistics, currently more than 80 % of travellers who take Cuba holidays have an insurance provided by companies of their country of residence. When booking Cuba holidays for arrivals from May this year, travellers must verify with their insurance company that their insurance covers medical expenses in Cuba.
Likewise, residents of the United States travelling directly to Cuba will have to acquire a policy with Cuban insurance cover in the country of residence. This policy will be marketed through a special network of agencies associated to HAVANATURCELIMAR Company, due to the impossibility for North American insurance companies to guarantee covering in the national territory of this “forbidden island” where American citizens are not allowed to take Cuba holidays.
Upon landing in Cuba, travellers will be checked and must show their policy, certificate of insurance or travel assistance card, which must be valid for the duration of their stay in Cuba.
For any case of medical emergency, the Cuban Health care System guarantees primary assistance through a net of clinics and hospitals located all over the country and within easy access. Primary medical assistance will be provided at most of the tourist facilities and Cuba hotels. For more information on the medical services included, when planning your Cuba holidays, you can visit the official website, go to the Cuban Embassy or Consulate in London, or to the offices of Cuban Ministry of Tourism. You can also visit websites of Ministry of Tourism (http://www.cubatravel.cu) or the insurance and assistance company ASISTUR (http://www.asistur.cu). Alternatively you can give us a call at The Holiday Place as we work very closely with this Caribbean holiday destination and always have the latest up to date information on Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...