Merger between Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines scheduled for end of April
The official date for the takeover of Caribbean Airlines over Air Jamaica has been pushed back to 30th April 2010 as both parties want to ensure that enough time is devoted to completing negotiations which will result in the carriers routes being combined
On a move that will affect the future of Caribbean holidays as far as air travel is concerned, it was recently announced that Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines have agreed on a new takeover deadline set now for 30th April 2010, a date that has been pushed back from the previous target of 12th April.
In an official release issued last week Dennis Lalor, Chairman of Air Jamaica, announced that the country’s national carrier had agreed to the extension in order to ensure that enough time was devoted to completing the negotiations, which will ultimately result in the Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines route networks being combined. This will mean greater flexibility for Jamaica holidays and travel to any of the other Caribbean holiday destinations that Caribbean Airlines currently operate.
Lalor then explained how the end result would be the creation of "a larger, stronger Caribbean airline to serve the region."
"The extension is also intended to ensure a seamless launch of the operations into the transition period," – he said.
Throughout the transition period, Air Jamaica will continue to operate its routes with its current fleet of aircraft and accompanying regulatory authorisations, so those having planned and booked their Jamaica holidays need to fear about these changes affecting their travel. Many of the company’s employees are also expected to be utilised under the interim agreement.
Air Jamaica's President and CEO, Bruce Nobles said this transitional period may last up to 12 months, but he assured passengers that, in the meantime, "the little piece of Jamaica still flies". So those booking Jamaica holidays with the airline during this time need not worry in the slightest as the airline will be operating as normal.
Nobles added that all reservations made previously and tickets purchased on Air Jamaica will continue to be valid. In addition to this, all 7th Heaven frequent flyer benefits will continue to apply and all passengers, shippers and business partners can continue to rely on Air Jamaica to provide the services they have come to expect.
"In simple terms, our customers and stakeholders will not see any visible difference in the airline, or its services during the initial transition period, as Jamaicans, visitors, shippers and travel partners can continue to book on Air Jamaica with confidence," he explained.
He further stated that as the routes are absorbed by Caribbean Airlines, the combined network will provide significant added value and benefits to customers and partners for better value Jamaica holidays and Caribbean holidays.
As a final note, Nobles promised that Air Jamaica will continue to provide service from Jamaica on the New York, Fort Lauderdale, Toronto, Baltimore and Philadelphis routes, with "the usual Lovebird hospitality”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...