Merger between Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines scheduled for end of April
The official date for the takeover of Caribbean Airlines over Air Jamaica has been pushed back to 30th April 2010 as both parties want to ensure that enough time is devoted to completing negotiations which will result in the carriers routes being combined
On a move that will affect the future of Caribbean holidays as far as air travel is concerned, it was recently announced that Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines have agreed on a new takeover deadline set now for 30th April 2010, a date that has been pushed back from the previous target of 12th April.
In an official release issued last week Dennis Lalor, Chairman of Air Jamaica, announced that the country’s national carrier had agreed to the extension in order to ensure that enough time was devoted to completing the negotiations, which will ultimately result in the Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines route networks being combined. This will mean greater flexibility for Jamaica holidays and travel to any of the other Caribbean holiday destinations that Caribbean Airlines currently operate.
Lalor then explained how the end result would be the creation of "a larger, stronger Caribbean airline to serve the region."
"The extension is also intended to ensure a seamless launch of the operations into the transition period," – he said.
Throughout the transition period, Air Jamaica will continue to operate its routes with its current fleet of aircraft and accompanying regulatory authorisations, so those having planned and booked their Jamaica holidays need to fear about these changes affecting their travel. Many of the company’s employees are also expected to be utilised under the interim agreement.
Air Jamaica's President and CEO, Bruce Nobles said this transitional period may last up to 12 months, but he assured passengers that, in the meantime, "the little piece of Jamaica still flies". So those booking Jamaica holidays with the airline during this time need not worry in the slightest as the airline will be operating as normal.
Nobles added that all reservations made previously and tickets purchased on Air Jamaica will continue to be valid. In addition to this, all 7th Heaven frequent flyer benefits will continue to apply and all passengers, shippers and business partners can continue to rely on Air Jamaica to provide the services they have come to expect.
"In simple terms, our customers and stakeholders will not see any visible difference in the airline, or its services during the initial transition period, as Jamaicans, visitors, shippers and travel partners can continue to book on Air Jamaica with confidence," he explained.
He further stated that as the routes are absorbed by Caribbean Airlines, the combined network will provide significant added value and benefits to customers and partners for better value Jamaica holidays and Caribbean holidays.
As a final note, Nobles promised that Air Jamaica will continue to provide service from Jamaica on the New York, Fort Lauderdale, Toronto, Baltimore and Philadelphis routes, with "the usual Lovebird hospitality”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Exclusive India Sale, Enjoy Huge reductions on all our tours must be booked by 31 August 2017
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...