Merger between Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines scheduled for end of April
The official date for the takeover of Caribbean Airlines over Air Jamaica has been pushed back to 30th April 2010 as both parties want to ensure that enough time is devoted to completing negotiations which will result in the carriers routes being combined
On a move that will affect the future of Caribbean holidays as far as air travel is concerned, it was recently announced that Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines have agreed on a new takeover deadline set now for 30th April 2010, a date that has been pushed back from the previous target of 12th April.
In an official release issued last week Dennis Lalor, Chairman of Air Jamaica, announced that the country’s national carrier had agreed to the extension in order to ensure that enough time was devoted to completing the negotiations, which will ultimately result in the Air Jamaica and Caribbean Airlines route networks being combined. This will mean greater flexibility for Jamaica holidays and travel to any of the other Caribbean holiday destinations that Caribbean Airlines currently operate.
Lalor then explained how the end result would be the creation of "a larger, stronger Caribbean airline to serve the region."
"The extension is also intended to ensure a seamless launch of the operations into the transition period," – he said.
Throughout the transition period, Air Jamaica will continue to operate its routes with its current fleet of aircraft and accompanying regulatory authorisations, so those having planned and booked their Jamaica holidays need to fear about these changes affecting their travel. Many of the company’s employees are also expected to be utilised under the interim agreement.
Air Jamaica's President and CEO, Bruce Nobles said this transitional period may last up to 12 months, but he assured passengers that, in the meantime, "the little piece of Jamaica still flies". So those booking Jamaica holidays with the airline during this time need not worry in the slightest as the airline will be operating as normal.
Nobles added that all reservations made previously and tickets purchased on Air Jamaica will continue to be valid. In addition to this, all 7th Heaven frequent flyer benefits will continue to apply and all passengers, shippers and business partners can continue to rely on Air Jamaica to provide the services they have come to expect.
"In simple terms, our customers and stakeholders will not see any visible difference in the airline, or its services during the initial transition period, as Jamaicans, visitors, shippers and travel partners can continue to book on Air Jamaica with confidence," he explained.
He further stated that as the routes are absorbed by Caribbean Airlines, the combined network will provide significant added value and benefits to customers and partners for better value Jamaica holidays and Caribbean holidays.
As a final note, Nobles promised that Air Jamaica will continue to provide service from Jamaica on the New York, Fort Lauderdale, Toronto, Baltimore and Philadelphis routes, with "the usual Lovebird hospitality”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...