Tourists on Cuba Holidays Enjoyed the 2010 Caribbean Dance Biennial in March
Travellers enjoying Cuba holidays this March had the opportunity to see some of the Caribbean's most talented dancers perform in several venues across the El Vedado neighbourhood of Havana as the 2010 Caribbean Dance Biennial came to town.
The Caribbean dance festival recently took place in Havana from 23 to 28 March 2010 featuring dancers from across the Caribbean and Latin America whilst focusing on Caribbean choreography and celebrating the 90th birthday of Cuban prima ballerina, Alicia Alonso.
Visitors to Havana on holidays in Cuba were able to see the performances of gifted dancers from all regions in the Caribbean and thoroughly enjoyed the photo exhibition of África DanzÁ África by the French-American photographer, Antoine Tempe.
The exhibition was held at the Raúl Oliva Gallery in El Vedado and tourists on holidays to Cuba had the opportunity to partake in classes, workshops, presentations, documentary screenings and forum discussions entitled ‘Maneras de ser Caribe y algo más, Ways to be Caribbean and Something More’.
Festival lovers on their Caribbean holidays witnessed artists performing in the group dance category that included Bull dancing, by Marcelo Evelyn and Una pieza selecta, by the Coliflor Collective from Brazil; Peso, by Sandra Rami and the El Público Theater Group, and MalSon, by Susana Pous from Cuba; and Cómo se dice en Martinica «la arena de la playa» from México and Martinique.
Solo dance performances by Cuban artists included Instinto de Conservación, by Abel Berenguer and DanzAbierta, Lea, by Janoski Suárez and the Ad Líbitum Company, and ¡Non!, by Lisbet Sad and Ballet Rakatán.
This is the second Caribbean Dance Biennial to take place and it saw the streets of El Vedado full of choreographed performers dancing and encouraging the crowds and tourists enjoying Cuba holidays to take part and join in the fun.
The opening gala of the Caribbean dance festival took place in Old Havana at the Gran Teatro on 23rd March and the closing show and awards ceremony was held at the Mella Theatre at 9pm on 27th March.
Cuba hotels in the capital city of Havana expected to be extremely busy during the festive Caribbean art event.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...