Need for diversification for Dominican Republic holidays in the South region
A Dominican Republic tour operator has raised the issue for the need of better development in the Dominican Republic southern region in order to drive tourism to this forgotten area with tones of potential for eco-holidays and sustainable tourism.
Dominican Republic holidays in the country’s southern region are in need of more development in order to diversify the tourism offering for visitors that choose to take Dominican Republic holidays here.
Linnette Arbaje, a Dominican Republic tour operator, stressed the need to diversify the tourism offer and use the virtually virgin South region of the country to spearhead that policy and bring better quality Dominican Republic holidays to tourists.
Arbaje said to the Dominican Diario Libre paper that “it’s important to empower the provinces and create awareness of their tourist attractions, so they allow neither the invasion nor the exploitation of their misery. That they understand that they can live with dignity off of their touristic attractions."
A mere 2% of the tourists currently choose to visit the country’s South region, according to official statistics and a lot more could be done to push up Dominican Republic holidays in this area.
Environmentalist Ramon Narpier stressed in a Seminar for the South Region Tour Operators, the need to promote the South region’s sustainable tourism development, “in which the zone’s wealth in biodiversity may be exploited," and generate funds without harming the environment and preserving the area’s natural beauty and virgin greenery. The way to do it is by implementing eco-tools that make Dominican Republic holidays truly sustainable and unique in their own way, differentiating them from Dominican Republic holidays at other more popular resorts.
Tourism Vice minister for Training, Iris Perez affirmed that to manage the South zone’s exploitation, from Santo Domingo to Pedernales and the border region, the area of Enriquillo lake, Pelempito canyon, the Bahoruco Mountain Range, Bahia de las Aguilas and other areas, its inhabitants and tour operators need to be trained to gain knowledge on their own region’s natural, cultural and social values and attractions, pointing out and highlighting that for this there was no need for major giant developments that were intrusive to the landscape. All development should be carried out “without the need to be part of the system of all included resorts.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Free upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Room
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Live it up and enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy unlimited luxury, sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Spend eight days lazing in the abundant Punta Cana sunshine as you enjoy the best in hospitality that the Dominican...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...